1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Pro Gamers to be drug tested

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 7 Dec 2006.

1. apoogod

apoogod trix arent just for kids

Im sorry but this is really retarded of an idea, so kids that take legal prescriptions of Ritalin are outed? I guess ginkgo biloba is a no no to. If you all think that it will stop there, you're wrong. All it takes is for some asshat to come along and bitch about "joe blow" had the upper hand cause he was RedBulled up. I think this will hurt more then help in the long run.

2. Devil_909

Devil_909 What's a Dremel?

Not really sure what drug would give someone an edge. I mean is the guy that toked a bowl going to be unbeatable? Maybe speed would give you an advantage, but why not just take adderal. Same effect but legal. I think it was a logical step to take but falls short of being practical.

3. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

Honestly, yeah. What the heck do I care if baseball players are on steroids? What do I care if the football players are so beefed up that tackles result in a few more injuries than usual? More homeruns and harder contact make the games more exciting for the fans. And if those guys (most of whom did not graduate college) are going to make millions of dollars a year, and CHOOSE to up their game by doing something a little risky, then so be it. Even the guys who aren't juiced have no business complaining just because their competitors are. Personally, I'm about 150lbs...but if I were given !!$5million/year!! I'd throw some pads on and take my weak ass body out on the football field and get smashed a few times.

Yeah...the issue of what drugs to test for is a concern...like that Olympic skier who was caught with pot in his system. Why the heck even test for that?!? If you must test for drugs, only test for drugs that enhance performance and give one guy an unfair advantage.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

some drugs give you an advantage... so guys that use these are more likely to win.... so guys like "little noob player" will try to imitate them... causing an outspread use of drugs that will eventually end your life sooner.
    i am pro-drug testing because this is a PROFESSIONAL event.

5. Mosey

Mosey What's a Dremel?

hahahahaha. :D

Sounds good to me.

6. Karragain

Karragain What's a Dremel?

Athletes are more likely to graduate than their non-athlete peers.

http://insidehighered.com/news/2006/11/10/gradrates

7. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

They need to be little more clear what drugs there checking for. Cause smoking weed then playing video games should not be one of them. Nor should any form of caffeine.

What are they going to come up with next, your over the legal limt of caffeine. I say hell with the drug test. Gamers are gamers. I play with the best all the time with Team 3D, some times I pwn them sometimes they pwn me. There alot better then me too.

This will only drive the BYOC parties to cost more to host and less event because of that.

8. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

amen :D

9. apoogod

First off what drugs? Second what proof that any drug will give an advantage in the video gaming area? As for the "little noob player imitators" idea, to a small degree that might happen, but it would be very very small amount of people looking to take or even have access to those kind of drugs. Its even less likely that those drugs would be very life threatening. Im not saying something bad cant happen, it can, just pointing out that this is all overboard.

As for the reason its prob two reasons. One CPL is looking for media attention. Two the pro gaming industry is looking to get into the Olympics. I.E. http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/entertainment/skinny/index.php?ntid=109457&ntpid=4 . My money is that this is a P.C. move over a real health concern.

10. ady1989

ady1989 What's a Dremel?

i guess i can never become a pro gamer now... i would fail a drug test in an instant.

i think this is pretty stupid, i mean youre playing a virtual game, its not like you can take steroids for that. i wouldent have a problem with the testing if weed was legal though :). its not like trippin out on acid or blow is gonna make you a better gamer, if anything it would do the opposite.

11. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

As others have said, it's not the type of contest (how silly are some Olympic sports?) - It's about the prize money. There are some drugs that may give players willing to take them an unfair advantage over those who decide to play clean.

12. maxinflixion

maxinflixion What's a Dremel?

I watched the Gaming Invitational on DirecTV earlier this year. They definitely weren't testing for Clearasil...

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

The international Chess league is doing this too. Personally, I think "Who's got better drugs" is a more interesting contest than "Who's a better athelete". I at least find organic chemistry interesting. :sigh:

14. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Thats what I was thinking, test for stimulants and the like. Not something that would slow you down like pot. I think that there should be something like this in the professional events where lots of money is at stake to keep things even.

15. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:lol: :clap:

16. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

Interesting find...I assume you're pointing to this portion of the article:
    Honestly, I'm totally shocked that only 61 percent of students who go to Division I universities (so we're excluding small schools/community colleges where people might not be aiming for a degree anyway) finish.

I guess, however, my comment was more about athletes who go on to play big-money professional sports. In the US, that's going to be football, baseball, basketball, and maybe golf. I believe that many of the "really good" college-level players get recruited into really big pro contracts before they graduate.

My main point of bringing all that up though is this: at the Professional level of sports, these guys have been working hard at their sport for 4-10 years (if you count high-school through whatever part of college [some are recruited right out of high school, some attend up to a 6-year college degree from your article]). The rest of us who want Professional type jobs? We spend the 4 years in high school taking the tough classes, plus the 4 full years of college, plus any graduate school (personally, I'm on year 4 of a PhD program). No, that doesn't make me better than the athletes...but if the athlete is going to make $5million a year, and the rest of us are happy with $30thousand, work our asses off to get up around $100thousand, and can really only dream of $200thousand...then I say whatever "risk to his health" the athlete CHOOSES to up his game is reasonable...and if that's what HE THINKS HE NEEDS to earn that $5million dollars (over 100x more than the average person) it should be up to him.

17. apoogod

No it more about the Olympics then it is money

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/31/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/

18. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

That number is a bit deceptive due to the way the data is compiled. Any student who transfers to another college is counted as a drop-out and that tends to skew the numbers some.

19. LoveJoy

LoveJoy What's a Dremel?

What! Damn I always pwn better in CS after some marihuana ;)

Tags: Add Tags