1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safari is best browser for OSX?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DreamTheEndless, 7 Dec 2006.

?

Best browser for OSX?

1. Safari

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. Firefox

21 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. Camino

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. Opera

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Flock

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. IE

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  7. Shiira

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Omniweb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Netscape

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

I just read this article saying that Safari was the best browser for OSX. I've been using (and liking) firefox since a week after I got my MBP -

the people commenting on the article all like camino or opera which I've never used.

What's the consensus here? Best mac browser? (For this thread, please avoid discussions of best Windows browser.)

2. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i tend to stick with safari as its already there, but opera is also really good

3. DreamTheEndless

someone list all the OSX browsers and I'll ask a mod to add a poll to this thread.

I know of:
    * Safari
    * Firefox
    * Camino
    * Opera
    * Netscape
    * IE (Yeah - right....)
    * Shiira
    * Omniweb
    * Flock

4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

camino is just firefox ported to cocoa...

i use safari. it's the only browser to pas the ACID2 test!

5. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Safari is a resource hog and has leaks and many people have switched to FF until it's sorted out.

I use to use Safari all the time since it was the only browser to be ICC compliant, but now FF 2.0 is ICC compliant, I've moved over to that until they fix Safari.

Also there are a few websites that Safari won't touch, or try and fail to load properly.

6. DreamTheEndless

Hm - there's a bug in the poll it looks like -
    I checked safari and firefox (I hit my back button to doublecheck;) and the poll then said that 1 person had done the poll and that firefox and camino were 100% with the others being 0%.

How'd that happen?

7. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

It's a multiple choice poll, in case people (like me) regularly use 2 "main" browsers. Can change it if ya like :)

8. Seth

Seth What's a Dremel?

firefox is so broken on osx.. camino all the way

9. DreamTheEndless

You misunderstood - it displayed results different than the ones I selected when I was the only person to have done the poll. I went 'back' to doublecheck that I hadn't messed up (which is always possible....) but I confirmed that I had selected firefox and safari but the results showed that I had selected firefox and camino.

Edit: Not a big deal - it was just odd.

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I liked Camino but it just doesn't have the proper extension support that Firefox does, even though it's just a Cocoa version of Fx instead of XUL. Go figure.

They all have their odd little quirks. I'd use Camino, but its adblock features just aren't up to par with the Firefox extensions. Safari lacks completely.

Though, for some reason, streaming radio refuses to work right in Firefox (probably needs another extension), so I use Safari for that. A couple other things are a bit quirky as well, but unless I have a reason to use something else, it's Firefox most of the time.

I also have Flock installed, though only because it has this weird interface with Photobucket. I never use it for anything else, and generally just FTP in anyways, or use the WebUI. I think that it's another modified Firefox anyways.

11. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Oh OK, but I did the poll first & they were my 2 results (don't even go there as to why I use effectively the same browser twice ;) ).

12. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I use Safari. Recently I moved everything over to Firefox, but I just didn't get on with it as well as with Safari. The only complaint with Safari is that is can get a bit slow sometimes - when one tab is struggling (I.e. buffering a video), the whole program grinds to a halt and won't let me change tabs etc. But overall I prefered it to FF so I switched back.

13. DreamTheEndless

Ah - ok, thanks. It hadn't even registered my votes and I didn't even realize it. :wallbash:

14. weknowtheworld

weknowtheworld Banned

I think FF is a good browser to use..

15. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

I use firefox on my mac as I don't think safari is good enough. I am used to my ff extensions that I use on my pc, along with tabbed browsing working well etc.

My only gripe about ff on the mac is that its slow to open up initially. I tried camino but it doesn't support ff extensions properly!

16. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I use firefox as I am already used to it on my PCs.

17. DreamTheEndless

Sort of on topic - I just upgraded to firefox 2 on my mac and it is freezing constantly. I've been able to find stories online of other people having similar problems, but no solutions. Mozilla wants me to do some information gathering at every crash and log it in bugzilla - but I'm currently too lazy. Anyone else having problems with FF2 and macbook pro?

18. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I haven't had the chance to upgrade firefox yet, but I'll let you know what I think. I still haven't gotten used to Safari yet but that's mainly because I started with Firefox and haven't had a reason to switch yet. Safari looks good, and it does a great job of rendering pages most of the time, so no complaints on it. I am just so dependent on my top firefox extensions that I can't justify switching to anything else.

On the ACID2 test, Opera renders it "properly" as well. (In quotes because the ACID2 test doesn't test standards compliance, but rather how well the browser makes up for poorly written CSS, since the test code isn't even near standards compliant.)

19. DreamTheEndless

That's it - I am now completely fed up with the crashes in FF2 on a mac - I have just installed Camino and will give that a try for a while. Also, I re-downloaded FF1.5 so that I can go that route if Camino doesn't work out.