1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Question about LCD screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yitchee, 2 Nov 2006.

1. yitchee

yitchee What's a Dremel?

hi, i facing a problem that my laptop LCD screen..it has a vertical line on the right side of the screen(i mean colorless line ) when i on my laptop. for me, it like a area of faulty....aiya...difficult to express in words...i brught it last month, so should i go back to the dealer or leave it??? is it screen faulty??? :worried:

2. anduril

anduril What's a Dremel?

i know what u mean. my friend had a similar problem he turned in his laptop.
    apparently this 'lines' are caused by putting to great pressure on the screen or at least that's what his laptop salesman said

3. Olivier

Olivier What's a Dremel?

PSP Similar issue

I have a mildly similar issue with my PSP screen, there a green verticle line than randomly started to appear, now its permanent. Not at any point have I applied great pressure to the screen. What else can cause these LCD defects?

4. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Typically defects in the LCD are the cause, although it is true that excessive pressure to the outside of the LCD module can wipe out an entire row of pixels. Tough to say sometimes really, LCDs are just fragile by nature.

5. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

If you bought it last month, go back to dealer!

6. JazX101

JazX101 What's a Dremel?

Single pixels stuck as on or off are to be expected, if entire lines are out then there is a problem with the hardware that is causing one of the line addresses to be mis-read/ not sent/ not decoded etc, but it wont go away on its own. If the laptop is new then you are more than entitled to something that works as it is supposed to. and it aint ment to do that! If they try giving you trouble about it then point out that all monitors are suppsed to have a maximum of a handful (well less than 10 for a REALLY crap monitor) of non functioning pixels, and that your line has (whatever the depth of the resolution is)
    hope this helps
    JazX101

7. Rich T

Rich T What's a Dremel?

Ive repaired hundreds of laptops and when you find an entire line thats not responding it can be one of a few things but most comonly it will be one of these two faults:

Dry joint on the LCD panels circuitry, extremely difficult to locate and repair

Faulty cable between motherboard and LCD screen. Some laptops suffer with this more than others and the strain of opening and closing the lid when a cable has been made slightly too short can cause breakages.