1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Christian game ruffles feathers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 13 Dec 2006.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

To quote God: "Thou shalt not kill".

I guess we're safe from the Christians then...

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I find it halarious, and also frightening, that people who are avidly against games like GTA but love this game, slap christian on anything and it's all ok it seems.

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

stupid game. period.

simply idiot.

its ok to sell in walmart games that kill people who doesnt believe in Jesus, but its EVIL to kill people who doesnt believe in Allah.

im a christian and an indonesian as well. and in indonesian language; Jesus = God = Allah = Tuhan = SAME F**KIN THING! oh, and 70+% indonesians are muslim.

note: not to be taken fully literally for all of u shallow people out there, but u get the idea...

its amazing how low christianity has fallen down... specially in America...... u guys just never experienced living in a country where most of the people around u are capable of killing and raping and torturing u in the name of Allah....

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

just ignore it and make fun of the trouble it will make....:D

5. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

OH, ok. So in real life, an analogy would be firing a cruise missile at a location. Since someone is only pushing the botton to activate the device that kills someone, it's ok. Strategy game or not, the gameplay is the same. Whether you control one player killing other characters or a whole slew of ones who automatically kill characters at your command, the basis of it is the same.

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

So in essence, it puts you in God's shoes too, a little blasphemous.

7. Djpuk

Djpuk What's a Dremel?

:hehe:

8. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

ughhh.

You guys are so ill-informed and brainwashed by the media. I'm resisting the urge to debate religion online, which is always pointless. So, I'll stick to the game. You haven't played it. Secondly, even if you had, you would have to understand a fair bit of eschatology and Christian doctrine in order to properly understand the context of what you are doing in the game and why. Your best course instead of making fun of something you don't understand would be to inform yourself on the subject. Read the bible, read left behind, maybe try leftbehind.com and its forums (if they're still there, havent visited in a while).

As for killing in the game: The premise is, after the rapture, the disappearance of all the Christians, the antichrist takes control of the world. He begins to persecute and kill anyone who refuses to worship him, even athiests who refuse to worship him as god. As a new Christian, you are trying to warn and convert all those who have not chosen a side yet. There are only two sides: Christians following God, and those worshiping antichrist. Antichrist will not allow indecision, so there is no such thing as agnostic or athiest, worship him as god or die. So as for the killing in the game, it is kill or be killed. You kill only to defend your own life or fellow believers lives, or even undecided agnostics lives that you hope to convert. Killing is a last resort as self defense against the murderous antichrist and his enforcers.

However is it a fun game? Dont know yet but I plan to pick it up soon. And I will play it in between sessions of fear and gta. Blood and killing and criminal activity doesn't scare me: I'm an adult and can play games that I don't "believe in", without having any moral or sociopolitical freakout. Its just a game people. I you dont want it, then dont buy it, dont play it. As for me, I'm open minded and will try just about anything once, even at the risk of it being a crappy game, though I hope it will be an interesting change of pace at the least.

9. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

:hehe:

Remember, if its done in the name of your particular diety its ok.

10. DLoney

DLoney What's a Dremel?

The only way, IMO- that this game should have been allowed on stores (like walmart) shelves, is if you were able to have balance throughout the game, including being able to play as all the religions, and the Atheists.

Nuff’ said, this spreads the wrong idea.
    :grr:

11. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Even as a Christian, I've gotta laugh at how some people interpret our faith :hehe:. I'm just hoping this flops so people don't assume we're all like that...

<A88>

12. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

In the video they say you can choose between play as "good" or "evil". I assume that means you can play on the Christian or Anti-christ sides.

Still quite how they come up with the destinction of good and evil isn't clear. Both sides' goal is to convert people to their belief. Who's to say which belief is correct? I'm pretty sure that if you were to pick up the game as a completely naive or ignorant kid, it wouldn't actually explain anything about the moral questions that the game supposedly makes you ask.

13. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Kill someone, then pray so your 'faith' goes up and then you will be OK... hmm, wonder what real world message that is giving?

14. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

But, but but... following the way of sensationalist media intentions is so much more fun than rational thought!!

15. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Ahhh! A88's gonna kill us! RUUUUNNNN! Roflol. :p

Personally, I fail to see how to see how this game will be a success, quite pointless making it.

16. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Do you have any ide how successful the books have been? Almost as popular as Harry Potter. There will (unfortunatly) be a huge market for this game, no matter how bad it is. The only silver lining I see is that perhaps some of the people who buy this game will decide they like gaming and stay on as gamers.

17. mad4it

mad4it Know it all.

Everyone is gonna jump on the "OMG it shows christians killing people" but as i see it wth makes this any diffrent from me picking yup GTA and killing some hoes or "shooting some ragheads" in god knows how many military games now. My point is who cares what the subject matter is i just want to know... is it a good game? i do however disagree with walmart giving it more leniency just because its christian based (tho i havent seen aint proof of this so meh)

Simply Buy it or download it thru *cough* legitamet sources if its a good game the subject matter shouldnt really matter unless your using it for educional reasons (in schools. parents are free to feck with their kids minds as much as they want sadly) or to dictate some kind of politacal structure.

When all is said and done its just a game play it or dont just dont get all upset cause it pro christian

BTW im 100% atheist just dont care if people beleive in a flying spaghetti monster or a retarded fish frog had sex with a monkey

18. Lemur 6

Lemur 6 What's a Dremel?

If you have faith in something, prove it. Otherwise keep your mouth shut and keep it to yourself.

19. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

By definition, somthing you have faith in cannot be proven. If you could prove it, you wouldn't need to have faith in it. To go back to a conversation we were recently having over in SD, there are things the can be tested and proven, these are the realm of science. Everything else which cannot be tested or proven is the realm of faith. Note the use of the term faith here, as opposed to religion. We may not all have religion, but we all have faith.

The issue here is not so much the content of the game, which as several people have pointed out is appearently tamer than most FPS titles, but rather the appearent hypocrisy of some of the groups on the religious right who want to ban violent video games, unless of course they glorify their own ideals.

20. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

LMAO @ the 'game', the 'hot islam' mod idea, the controvery this is gonna stir up and just generally at everything surrounding this. :D

Tags: Add Tags