1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster What hardware have you broken?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sc0rian, 23 Apr 2003.

1. anduril

anduril What's a Dremel?

I don't know how you have ur electrical circuits managed at home but we've got a thingie (don't know it's english name) that should prevent me from getting the full load when i do stupid things. Whenever there is a short-circuit it immediatly shuts down all electricity. Thus u never should even feel a shock and if you do you only feel about 50volts at max so that is the reason why i live another day :D

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

a circuit breaker is what ur on about.

i was wiring a wall socket and someone connected the fuse in the fuse box! they soon felt the rath of my good hand!

3. ZenX

ZenX How are you gentlemen?

I thought that I was bad with computer hardware, but guys.. How can u trash like 10 mobos and stuff? :lol: I've only killed one mobo, the same model as my current one. I did it by taking the whole chipset fan thingy off, cause it spins at 6k rpm and makes a sh*tload of loud&high whining.. Well, RMA works fine in Finland ;)

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

iv only toasted one mobo after a fire. you can read about that a few posts back! lol

and other hardware gets toasted when you push the envolp on overclocking! :rock:

5. Starman97

Starman97 What's a Dremel?

My last oops..

I had ordered 30 ft of 12V LED rope lite for a project. Nice stuff,
    I was in a rush so I paid like $40 for overnight shipping and about 80 for the lights. I got the box and it had some connectors with sharp pins to plug into the cut ends of the rope and make contact with the internal wires.
    Well, there were some small plastic blocks and then on the ends, mains plugs.

Cool, thought I, they gave me some mains->12vdc converters so I can test the LEDs. Err wrong, I should have checked them by plugging them in and measuring the pins, they were 120VAC, the string lights up real bright for a moment and all the lights in the room went out.

F*&^*&K ME!! Of course the ebay seller isnt going to do squat for me.
    And I'm leaving on a trip and supposed to take the project too.

Oh well, at least I had some EL wire, it wasnt as bright, but it lit up at least.

6. 13000

13000 Banned

A motherboard, few hard drives, and plenty of headphones.

7. evileclipse

evileclipse Toxic Waste!

Fans, mobo's, cpu's, PSU's, every thing but then i did work in computer production when testing and overclocking systems most of them didn't work after a bit.

best overclock i did was an AMD duron 850mhz to 1.2ghz worked well untill it melted the mobo because i was using a PIII cooler (i think)(it was to small for the cpu) hahaha
    still remember the smell and trying to remove the heatsink from the cpu :)

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Managed to break an old video card through ESD damage.. you know when you feel a static shock it's not gonna work right again... and an old motherboard in a computer class, popped one of those big fat capacitors on old mobos, got capacitor junk into the PII slot ruining that too..

9. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

Had a 10GB laptop drive from my old lappy w/ all my music/videos on it.

Right after I retrieved the data, I dropped it.

I gave it to a friend of mine and he's trying to remove the platter and throw it in a similar HD (but frankly I don't think he'll be able to).

10. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

3 psu

asus p5n32-sli se deluxe, possibly a pentium d 805 and a xfx 6800xt to go with it.

11. RBIEZE

RBIEZE What's a Dremel?

Loaded up my game rig's in the back of my van and headed to a lan party.
    Not thinking,I stood one case upright with just enough room for the monitor so it wouldnt tip over

Got about half way there and heard a crash when I hit a "Huge" bump going around a corner.

Damage=
    Cpu cooler snapped off the Mobo breaking it,cracked the cpu,then wiped out my video card and sound card.

$800.00 mistake.

12. ZenX

ZenX How are you gentlemen?

Ouch, that was maybe one of the unluckiest moments ever =D

13. malikdrako

malikdrako Minimodder

nothing major
    i open my old laptop, hear a crack, close it and look at the back, the part that connects the screen to the rest of it had cracked open
    right now its just for parts anyway

14. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Erm... one AT PSU - I blame my cousin for that tho - this was in my pre-computer-assembly-fu days...
    One PS-2 keyboard - Setting up my server, server on top of my wardrobe, put the keyboard in a little nook in the wardrobe, so the cable flex wrapped around me (without me knowing! Damn flex......) I walked off out comes the keyboard, it hits me in the back of the knee, I fall over, pulling the keyboard out of the computer. But it didn't pull out the metal connector.... so the connector was still attatched to the pc, but the purple plastic bit was attatched to the keyboard... and the best bit was, it was my brother's keyboard! Yays!
    One PCI slot on my old mobo - Don't ask, even I don't know how I managed that!
    Various pre-RJ45 network equipment....

15. bort

bort What's a Dremel?

smoked 3 dvd drives when I shorted a molex connector, nuked a xp3000 by overvolting it

destroyed a geforce 3 by misaligning a replacement heatsink

16. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

, nuked 4 or 5 psus, um several motherbaords, just general desruction, lots of hardrives!

17. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

couple of old cd drives. just ended up kneeing the front of them accidentally when i stood up, shorted out a psu once, but that was easy to fix.

18. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

I once had a dell 316lt laptop, It was really neat it had a 8bit ISA slot, a fullsize HDD and FDD. It was pretty slick. Had this bright idea to make a battery pack for it. That didnt turn out so brilliant in the end.

19. Pointy Burdz

Pointy Burdz What's a Dremel?

about a month ago I bent all the pins on an expensive mobo when transferring conroe cpu to my Shuttle, thought that was the end of it till I then went on to knacker a 7900gt when transferring it from one of my sli slots to another on the same mobo [Shuttle Sn26P]

threw the mobo into a cupboard in disgust, mumbling "stoopid new socket design", then upon reflection couldn't understand why the gpu had stopped working, so sent it off for rma.

got a new card, but am too embarassed to return mobo under circumatances :sigh:

20. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

I feel like a noob, I've only ever destroyed a Abit NF7-S and a generic '350W' PSU from trying to hit 3Ghz on my Athlon, CPU is fine though.

And every summer my PC turns into a slaughter house for Daddy Long legs, they fly into the case through the fan in the window due to the UV lights in it and get sliced up heheh.

Oh and I've nuked so many pairs of headphones.. most annoyingly a £200 set of Sennheisers.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2007