1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo taken to court over dodgy straps

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 20 Dec 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Silly people. Nintendo saw the propblem relitively early, and have started doing something about it.

I hope someone sue's them for being idiots.

3. Echo

Echo What's a Dremel?

Lol @ the fact it's happening in America too.. And to be fair, it was my american friend who pointed that out first!

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Unfair or deceptive business practices?

They didn't expect people to be so sweaty!

5. phat-ant

phat-ant What's a Dremel?

no they shouldn't be sued.
    too many lawyers out there just trying to squeeze ppl for money. sad state of affairs.
    also if your too thick to hold onto a remote perhaps you shouldnt be allowed to operate hand held equipment.

6. quack

quack Minimodder

No, they don't deserve to be sued. Especially since they're already acknowledging the problem and are replacing the straps.

7. sgr55

sgr55 What's a Dremel?

Only in America. They are far far to sue friendly over there. Which is why i don't intend to go back (along with the insane time it takes to get though customs). Don't wanna get sued for software i've released thats illegal in the states (not here though ;)), or coughing near someone, or having my phone wake someones baby up. You get the picture. Better safe than sorry.

8. ottzen

ottzen What's a Dremel?

This is just rediculous...if you're stupid enough to let go of the wiimote in the first place, you just don't deserve better. Should they pay, because people have hands perspirating a slight bit too much? No.
    When will americans learn that suing everyone and everything who has happened to be in the line of fire won't make the problems disappear..
    But hell it's the american dream, right? As the Dire Straits once pointed out nicely:
    "Money for nothing and the chicks for free.." (Although this propably wasn't their real intent ;))

//ottzen

9. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

if they didnt include a strap in the first place there'd probably be no big hoohar.

my example is with a box. if you sold a square box people would just carry it round in their hands like you do, if they dropped the box it'd be their fault and that'd be that..
    now if you put a handle on the box it'd be easier to carry and everyone would be happy. however if the handle wore out or people just lost grip of it there would be a mass of people then complaining of shoddy workmanship and evil corparations. just like with nintendo.

so to sum up never ever bother helping people as they are just ungrateful *******s and will sue at the first oppurtunity. if you helped someone in a wheelchair up some stairs but sliped and dropped them you know you'd get sued just like that. ive gone off course a bit but greedy people piss me right off

10. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

That made me laugh because you've hit the nail on the head!

11. Chuff_72

Chuff_72 What's a Dremel?

I'm just curious, has anyone on here had any experience of the strap being faulty, I mean as far as I can see this lawsuit is based purely on a kind of myth (lie) regarding the strap breaking.

To physically break that strap, while using the Wiimote in the "standard" way, doesn't seem possible to me, and it seems that most accidents occurred when the strap wasn't in use, and then to cover up, the strap is broken and blamed... It'll be interesting to see if they can get any witnesses to swear in court that the strap broke... Then again, it is America :D

12. JazX101

JazX101 What's a Dremel?

This is just stupid in the extream. Nintendo has already offered to replace any Wii-mote straps that are buggered, not that many people will actually take them up on it, thinking of the number of free straps/ laynards etc that are given out with every single mobile phone, by mobile phone shops etc.
    Anyone who is stupid enough to forget to hold onto the remote when they are playing (i'm sure it makes pressing the buttons a lil more challanging) should just chalk off any damage caused by said loosed remote down to their own dense-ness and be extra carefull with their safety spoon at dinner time incase they accedentally poke their own eye out.
    Rant over, find beer to calm down.
    Jaz_knos

13. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Nope. My controller hasn't even slipped a little, let alone come flying out of my hand. And I've been holding it at some bizzare angles just lately trying to figure out the best way to apply spin when playing Wii Sports Tennis.

14. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

This lawsuit (the fact that it happens, is allowed to happen, and will likely result in a settlement) is the perfect example of everything that is wrong with todays society/system.

This story makes me depressed :(

Aggies

15. Springs

Springs Boing boing

its the persons own fault for letting go as other have said.... i can see where in any of the wii games ive seen you would ever have to let go of the remote....

some people....

16. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I can not for the life of me understand HOW people manage to swing the damn thing so hard to make it break the strap. Then again, I have half a brain. Anyone who swings the 1.5lb Wii-mote hard enough to get it to exceed exit velocity, break out of the strap, and smash their TV deserves to have their stuff smashed.

I'd be willing to bet this lawsuit gets thrown out. As mentioned, Nintendo has already issued free replacement straps for anyone who wants them.

Here's how Nintendo wins this one: Show that video of the guy serving in Wii Tennis and swinging the Wii-mote as hard as he possibly can and breaking the strap, sending the Wii-mote flying at the wall at 90mph. Then show a "how you're supposed to use it" video with a guy serving in Wii Tennis and doing a power serve by simply flicking his wrist. The judge will declare humanity doomed to stupidity and the case will be over.

17. Lowsidex2

Lowsidex2 Minimodder

Isn't that exactly what they are doing by recalling the remotes? Freaking lawyers. I hope to hell this gets dismissed.

18. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

Penny Arcade said it best with....

[​IMG]

19. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

see, what they need is the `Zidane method of law-suit protection.

1. make the strap removable.

2. embed a frag grenade in the wii controller.

3. attatch strap to pin of grenade.

4. the darwin effect.

5. no more law suits from anyone dropping their controller whilst using the strap.

this could also work for maunfacturers of camera's, mp3 players, even car key makers.

some people say i am ahead of my time, trouble is, i'm only 5 minutes ahead.

20. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

The suit is going to fail. Key words from the filing: "as instructed by the material that accompanied the Wii console". The instructions accompanying the console say to never let go of the wiimote. Therefore, one could argue, the wrist strap was never meant to arrest a flying wiimote, and any failure of it to do that was due to user error, not an engineering defect.

That said, the lawsuit is stupid. The replacement offer is the right thing for Nintendo to be doing.

Tags: Add Tags