1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Move files to different directories automatically

Discussion in 'Software' started by douphus, 20 Dec 2006.

1. douphus

douphus What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    would anyone know of a freeware program that does this? What I mean is I'd like to set up all my downloaded files to categorize them all at once rather than move them to one directory at a time.

2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

depends. i use a download manager to sort stuff. it's freeware but it will only move stuff i have downloaded through the program

3. douphus

douphus What's a Dremel?

nah i don't need a download manager. i'm surprised there's no convenient way to queue up transfers to different drives as most ftp programs have this function, but apparently it doesn't work locally.

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Sort on extension or file type, select group, move to...

Or write a simple .bat file.

5. douphus

douphus What's a Dremel?

eh sort by group? that doesn't work that many files plus everything slows down as soon as you start moving one group. batch files don't work either as you have to type filenames out, however maybe an automatic batch file writer that captures mouse movements would work. ideally though i'd like to schedule the transfers at night. I can't believe no one has written a program like this with 1TB drive arrays now becoming common.

6. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

Would be a good idea.

Surely you can run a batch that would move every .mp3 for example.

7. douphus

douphus What's a Dremel?

true, but i need more flexibility than that. i'd like to categorize, etc. movies, tv shows, documentaries, videos, music.

Tags: