1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modular PSU... Mod!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by joe-coleman, 20 Dec 2006.

1. joe-coleman

joe-coleman What's a Dremel?

I'm sick of spare molex connectors etc hanging in my case and don't have the doh for a modular PSU.
    My plan is to make a modular PSU, using the 4 pin connectors from the 20 + 4 pin motherboard connection.
    The idea is to have the 4 pin connectors (found on the motherboard side) located in the walls of the psu and have the molex's connect to them with the nessecary 4pin connector. SO i can just use the ones i want.

Can anybody point out flaws. also, does anybody knwo where i can find the things!
    I know where i can get pre made molexes with the 4 pin connector already fitted. quite useful, but where's the mod in that!

2. eegg

eegg What's a Dremel?

i;m making one curently but i'm not cutting holes in the metal for the connections but just making a very short wire and then the male molex the distance from the psu to the connection is about 4cm(1.5 inche)

3. joe-coleman

Sorry, i only intended to use the connectors because they are conveniantly small. It's basically what eegg plans except intends to do, jsut different connectors. i'd obviously wire them correctly on both sides.
    Joe.

4. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I doubt you'll find anywhere that sells molex cables with those 4 pin connectors on it unless some company sells them as replacement/extra cables for their modular power supply that uses those same connectors. Perhaps you would be best off getting an old power supply and taking all the connectors from it and mounting them in the housing, then getting a motherboard 24-pin extension cable and making the molex ones you need using molex kit parts. That would be easier, and connectors that aren't simple (like motherboard connectors) and require more than 4 pins will be easy to do. If you did the motherboard one using 5 connectors you could get the order mixed up and blow your board up.

5. joe-coleman

I know what you're saying. Yeah, i can only find a cable that has a molex connector (the end that comes form the PSU) and the connector that fits into the mobo form the PSU.
    pictures speak loudest
    That woudl be perfect desing for the modular cables to plug into the PSU.
    As you said, the problem is finding a supply of the opposite gender connectors. So to speak!
    Note. I would make my own cables that i linekd to above.

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Why not just get some molex connectors mounted into the PSU wall and have double sided molex plug into them?

7. joe-coleman

havgin said that, i just found a cable with both ends! One end would be attached otthe PSU, the other end would have a molex connected ot the other end of the correct length fo cable, and then they would connect in as nessecary
    i'll work out a cost!
    Joe.

8. joe-coleman

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Yes, it would look much cleaner, it'd just probably be cheaper, but some of those male to female 4 pin plugs and you're good to go!

10. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

The trouble I've found, is that it's hard to mount the connectors. You can glue them, sure, but it's messy. I don't know of any panel mount molex connectors offhand. Your best bet is something like 4-pin XLR connectors. Since they're round, all you need is to drill a hole. No nibbling or anything like that. You could even use 3-pin XLRs...just make sure you keep both ground wires. Sharing one pin at one point isn't a problem as far as current capacity goes.

Edit: You could also use DIN connectors. Anything that's easy to mount, really.

11. joe-coleman

if i made a hole, pulled the necessary wires through, fitted the connector, pulled it flush agains the metal (from the inside of the PSU, then fitted like a cable tie, really tight, it might hold? Maybe some glue too around the cable tie

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

The zip tie/glue should work, I've used it on things before

13. joe-coleman

i think i have a plan!
    haha, cheers for all the info and tips everyone!

14. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Actually I remember my Mac classic II having a 4 pin atx12v connector cable with a molex plug on the other side to attach to the hdd.

Just thought id throw that out there, that the cable does exist.

15. Ener

Ener What's a Dremel?