1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No beep from the mobo: what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by adidas, 26 Dec 2006.

1. adidas

adidas What's a Dremel?

Hi guys! I bought an ECS c51gm-m with an AM2 Sempron 3000 for my kids at xmas - but just won't beep, boot, or otherwise display anything on screen - even though the CPU fan is OK and so is the case fan. :duh:

The PSU is 400W, I have tried to unplug everything including RAM, HDD, vid card, no luck - still no beep, no POST, no video.

Manual doesn't say if card should beep on post - did I just buy a dud? What else could I try?

TIA!

2. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

Nothing, including BIOS?

Any LED from the motherboard on startup? Sounds like the motherboard may be shorted out, did you build it or was it bought new?

Make sure that all the risers on the motherboard are insulated (that don't align with the screw holes) , could be shorting on the backplate.

If its under warrenty then i'd suggest taking it back, alternatively the bios batery could be dead or Bios chip loose.

Good luck

3. adidas

adidas What's a Dremel?

Well, the Mobo doesn't have an on-board LED, so that doesn't make things simpler. But yes, bought it new, and no BIOS.

I'll try to see if I can get it to boot using a different PSU and if not I'll return it. Thanks!

4. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Are you sure the HSF is seated correctly?

I had this problem before, where the HSF was spinning, so I presumed it was working, but wasn't seated correctly so the BIOS wouldn't boot.

Try reseating it, and making sure it is flush and tight.

5. Joes2silly

Joes2silly What's a Dremel?

I know this may sound stupid, but your RAM may be inserted wrong or your CPU is not properly seated. From my experience these are the only 2 things that I have had problems with when putting together a PC

6. adidas

adidas What's a Dremel?

The HSF/CPU not properly seated angle sounds interesting and very possible - I did indeed struggle with that HSF (first time installing an AM2, wasn't used to the HSF).

However I'm not sure what you would consider an 'improperly seated' CPU - surely there's only one way to put it? What could I have messed up?

Cheers!

7. Mighty Yoshimi

Its posible to lock it down with it not sitting level, quite hard to do, but reinsert it, and you might want to check that the data line on the CPU fan is working, because the BIOS sometimes won't boot, if there is a fan error, Its spinning but it may not be reporting that it is.

Unlikely, as i'd imagine the Pc would tell you. I know its a stupid question but are the 20 pin and 4 pin motherboard molexs both in properly?

8. adidas

adidas What's a Dremel?

Allright I've plugged it on a different monitor just in case, no luck, I completely removed the HSF, CPU, and put them back being very careful this time and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. I also tried booting with only one RAM stick. Also no luck.

So I'm sending the mobo back tomorrow, obviously could be the CPU too I suppose, we'll see.

Cheers for all the help! Bit tech rocks!!! :rock:

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

This sounds daft, but no-one's mentioned it yet. Have you cleared the CMOS? Are you sure there aren't any jumpers which are un-pinned?

Try running the thing out of the case on its box with just graphics card, RAM and CPU plugged in. Make sure all the reset switches etc aren't shorting out pins on the header - I've had that happen before, and it gave me a real scare... :(

10. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Another daft question, does it have an onboard speaker? If not, it may need one plugging into it which may give you a beep code to work from.

11. adidas

adidas What's a Dremel?

Well when I read your message I checked and of course the 4pin and its parent 20 pin ATX power were both in, but the 3rd one, the 4 pin ATX12v, well, I really don't know how to say it guys, but there you go, I hadn't plugged it in.

I really don't know what to say, obviously, I restarted it and it booted fine - minus the ram doesn't work but that seems to be a common problem with that series of boards (they won't drive DDR2 800 at full speed regardless of what the manual says - confirmed on multiple forums).

So really, again what can I say, THANK YOU :clap: all for helping, and yes, I'm an idiot - the morality of the story is : don't XMAS drink and build :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

12. Mighty Yoshimi

Glad to help. Sometimes the answer is so obvious it hurts.

I'm sure the kids will enjoy it all the more now that its working! :hehe: