1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors LCD Guy's First Car

Discussion in 'General' started by lcdguy, 21 Dec 2006.

1. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

Ya you read that right. I have been a mooching soon and public transit man for almost 20 years. I am now ready for a car :).

Basically i have an absolute makimum of 10k for a car that includes taxes and any admin fees.

I am looking for ideas.

BTW the money amount is 10k CAD thats

8,662.29 USD
    4,415.46 GBP

I was hoping for something good on gas but if not it's not a big deal so i am looking for either a mid size 4 door or a pickup truck :)

Thanks,

Lcdguy

2. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I won't be much use on which car to get as almost everyone over here gets a little hatchback with a tiny engine as their first car, but welcome to the world of driving :D Remember to post pics of whatever you get in the stickied photo thread on this forum.

3. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

it's good to have lots of space i guess :) but i wouldn't be caught dead in a SUV if it's going to be big it has to be either a pickup or a safari van :)

4. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

If you need any space get a light truck, as long as it has a smaller engine and a stick you should get decent mileage. And I never had problems with my GMC. Or get a motorcycle. :D

Personally Im stuck between buying another light truck or a VW with a TDI, I only drive on 4 wheels when the roads get salty or the weather is terrible.

It depends on where you live too.

5. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 Minimodder

I personally have a 95 Geo Tracker with 31 inch tires, and I still get 28-30mpg. Oh, and I got it for $1700. So if you're looking for something relatively economic, I suggest a Tracker (AKA Suzuki Sidekick, Suzuki Vitara, Suzuki Escudo, Chevy Tracker, Asuna Sunrunner, and Pontiac Sunrunner -- they're all the same).

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Just get like an old Chevy S10 for a pickup, or a Nissan/Datsun. For a car, a Honda Civic, used of course. Or if you were me, an Acura Integra :D

7. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

I would love to get an S10 my friend has one but they are damn hard to find in my price range in this city. Cheapest i can find an S10 in my city is usually around 13-15k for a used one. Damn pickup's are way to expensive in my city.

8. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 Minimodder

What part of Canada you from? If you're on the east coast, I would suggest looking at US listings on autotrader.com or on cars.com. Either of those will have a good range of vehicles for you at a pretty good price (from my experience, east coast vehicles tend to cost a bit less), and are within driving distance of Canada. After that, it's just up to you to get it inspected up there.

Just an example of what you might find...

Last edited: 31 Dec 2006
  9. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

i live in the eastern part of canada but i live in ottawa so it's quite a drive to get anywhere in the us easily.

Tags: