1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Smoking age will rise to 18

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Icecoldbagey, 1 Jan 2007.

1. aye

aye What's a Dremel?

Crap argument and point...

Last edited: 2 Jan 2007
  2. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

I remember seeing a lot of vintage posters around with no health risk warnings at all, they were not at all related with illness back in the day.

I agree to a certain extent that smokers have the right to smoke. But i just don't think they should be given the right to wherever they please. Next They'll want to smoke in the cinema, and what reasons will we have to deny them that? Smoking was accepted in cinemas in previous decades!

"Hey, why are you smoking in the cinema?"
    "Don't like it? You didn't have to come here you know..!"

I would be honoured :p

3. aye

aye What's a Dremel?

You are correct. It was advertised everywhere. I think the only place it is still allowed to be advertised is formula 1 (I'm not up to speed (no pun intended) on F1, so I don't know if it's been banned from being advertised there yet).

4. overdosedelusion

aye, cigarette companies pump a fair amount of money into the grand prix in order to advertise. And they are still doing it now. Also with the Moto GP, Rizla being a hugely popular name on the tanks of motorcycles now. Ciggy ads might be allowed in live events, but im not too sure on the truth in that, we certainly do see them though!

Last edited: 2 Jan 2007
  5. aye

aye What's a Dremel?

I smoked because I'm addicted. I'm addicted to the nicotine high. I continue to smoke to keep my nicotine levels up.

Addiction is maintaining that high. So everyone who smokes because they're addicted do so to get high.

6. overdosedelusion

I think I had what you could call a rush, A feeling of general naussea for a breef moment? I would certainly have to smoke a ciggy every 5 minutes to keep any high that could even be possible from a cigarette. But quite frankly i'm glad I didn't :)

7. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

No arguement there, but the current way they are going about it it going too far IMO. I can see banning it in enclosed public places, but bars should undoubtrably be an exception.

If it stopped here, I suppose I could live with it, but there are movements afoot to take it iven further. There has been talking of banning smoking in public housing and the like. In fact, there was a letter to the editor of the local weekly which stated that we have a duty to try to get everyone to quit smoking. For some people this has gone beyond a political position and become somthing close to religion. What scares me more than anything is that it sets a precedent that that people not only can tell other people what to do, or not do, but that they have a mandate to try to change other's behaviour. This isn't about not being exposed to second-hand smoke, this is about trying to force people to stop smoking, and I whole-heartedly disagree with that.

8. overdosedelusion

No argument there either, other than the pub. Though I would be just as happy with seperate areas for smokers and non-smokers. After all, people go to a pub primarily to destroy their health. But if we don't want the dangers of second-hand smoke, we should still be able to hit the pub for a drink. And smokers, and non-smokers who don't mind, can go to a second half of a pub and smoke/drink with their friends there? I agree it has been taken too far, and it should definately stop here. It should certainly not be possible to change someones habits based on your own opinions. I more than like my alcohol, and would find it ridiculous for a T-Totaller to decide drinking should be banned, and remove a past time i'm fond of. That being said, I would still prefer a pub where smokers need to go outside (or at least another room) so I could still have my drink.

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

To smoke was once quite normal in society, watch any old film, documentary or fiction. OK, people didn't know any better. But nobody screamed "Anti-social!" because of the smell of tobacco, any more than you'd tell a stranger he needs a bath. That's modern 'rationalism', let's stop some poor bugger enjoying himself "for his own good".

One thing certain in this life is that you'll die. Once upon a time you just eventually died of old age, now everything has a single cause, and if it says "Smoker" on your record, that's what killed you in the statistics, even if you fell off a bus.
    We've already had millions poured into covering up the fact that leaded petrol is a serious health hazard (see Clair Patterson). If science conclusively proves car exhaust fumes are still a major contribution to premature death, do you seriously think any action would be taken? And why should it be? People will still die after their allotted span.

10. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

This will make not once ounce of diffrence.

Asda have upped there age to 21 to buy cigs, My wife was asked for ID a couple of days ago even tho she's 27 good god she was smug for hours :|

11. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

That is lies, its 18, but the fact you have to look overt 21 to not get ID'd, is true,

My housemate went in thre with his passport showing him as 20 and they let him have fags, and im 19 and they dont even bother to ask.

12. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I'm welcoming the ban on smoking, couldn't be bothered about this age thing though, I know it wont make the slightest bit of difference really.

Back to the banning thing though, I will be so happy when i can go out for a quick drink with some mates after work or something and not have to change my clothes later because the smell is making me feel sick.

I have extra bitterness I suppose after continually being acused of smoking at school because my mum smoked and thus made my clothes smell of smoke so teachers thought I was sneaking off in during lunch breaks.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Pubs have always been male drinking environments. But times change, eh? Now women can actually sit in a pub and have a good time without this branding them as prostitutes or sluts. We even have family pubs now, where you can take the kids on a Sunday for a decent and affordable meal...

Perhaps a government ban is unnecessary, but as you say:
    And I am really curious how you think the goverment stands to profit by it.

Doesn't make the ban look ridiculous --just your arguments against it.

You say you can't quit? I will now conduct an experiment. I will lock you in a small but comfortable room with:

1. A pack of cigarettes
    2. a lighter.
    3. A smoke detector connected to a 1kg Semtex nail bomb strapped out of reach to the ceiling.

If you light up, the bomb goes off, instantly perforating everything in the room with ten thousand six-inch nails. Let's see how badly you want to exercise your right to smoke. What? Lost the urge? What's the big deal about a smoking ban then?

Again, your argument makes no sense whatsoever.

Look, you are obviously pissed off about the smoking ban, but you are struggling to rationalise your position --and contradicting yourself. You say you want to exercise your choice --yet you admit that you are, in effect, unable to quit. You object to a ban, yet also state that people are unable to come to a compromise amongst themselves.

It seems to me that you just feel entitled to have your cig regardless of how it affects those around you. You may accuse the non-smoking lobby, but by that argument your take seems rather a bit fascist also:

"Fascism is a political ideology and mass movement that seeks to place the nation of smokers / of non-smokers (delete as appropriate), defined in exclusive biological, cultural, and/or historical terms, above all other sources of loyalty, and to create a mobilized national community." -- bold added by myself

The choice is simple here: either people can come to an adult, reasonable compromise amongst themselves, or nanny State will come in and settle the dispute for us squabbling children.

Oops. Too late.

14. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

I love a good rant/argument.

I've been a smoker from the age of 17 and I wish I hadn't started. I mainly started when I started drinking. I did however quit last year for a round 10months.

A smoking ban I think is a good idea altho I think there doing it in the wrong place. I would like to think I am a considerate smoker. If i'm in a pub, I wont smoke if there are people eating and I wont if there are children around.

The reason I think they are banning smoking in the wrong place is this:
    How often do you go out in to 'town' and see disgarded *** ends? I see them all the time. Now if your not aloud to smoke in a pub/club etc... where do you think these people are going to throw they *** ends? Um.... on the floor outside the pub. So the pubs are either going to pick up the mess or its going to be the council. I would much rather see a smoking ban 'IN PUBLIC' not in public places but actully on the 'High Street'

Think of it this way, nicer enviroment for people to walk round less litter etc... Also how many times have you walked past someone smoking and bumbed into to them and burnt yourself? (ok maybe not that many but i've done a couple of times).

As for taxation on fags I think it should stay the same as it is now, there costly but not over priced, if kids want to smoke then fine!

18 yrs old is a good age but it seems a little odd, drink and smoke when your 18. But drive a car when your 17? Purhaps raise that to 18 as well?

Just to let you guys know (well more for aye). I don't drink, I used to but been dry for 3 years, not because of any problem, just because I thought the amounts that I used to drink were bad for me, since then I have lost the taste for any kind of booze.

You don't see me raving about how bad drinking is and moaning about the amounts people drink. I've seen people drink and hurt themselves and much worse, its peoples choice at the end of the day so why not for smoking?

On seconds thoughts 18, yeah that sounds right.

Regards
    GiGo

(sorry it was a little of topic)