1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Rig... Progress (worklog soon!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Headspark, 3 Jan 2007.

1. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

will go for the crosair, mite go for the 620w one, instead, still save a little and get a higher spec one.

Anyone got any further suggestions before i bite the bullet and buy it?

Andy

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Unless you're doing SLI 620 is totaly unneccesary :)

520 would give you at least 150W spare at total and complete load.

3. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

ordered the 520.... now onto the next question!!

which memory!

4. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

LOL, I reckon some 6400 will do you fine, the XMS2 Cas 4 2GB kit is reasonable in my opinion. You could get 1gb now though and get another one later if funds are a problem. To be honest all the 6400 stuff on OCUK is pretty good, quite closely matched. Some people preffer OCZ, some crucial some corsair. You wont need the dominator stuff though :)

5. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

after reading this..:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=126879

im a little confused, is there a better mobo for me?

he is using the ram you have suggested i dont need :S

is there much problem buying 1gb then others later? I know pretty much everyone recomends matched paires, for things to be more efficient.

As the mobo has 4 RAM slots wont 4*521 be faster?

Unsure about speed/cost etc yet.. just some ideas im thinking

6. Mother-Goose

He is probably going to overclock the nads off that which is why he has dominator, but you wont find a noticeable performance difference between the XMS2 C4 and the dominator (you can just push dominator further during over clocking).

The mobo won bit-tech's award for the year but if you want to go out get an asus stiker, however it is an extra £100. The P5B Deluxe and the DQ6 are pretty much of a muchness I believe.

As for the ram, hmmmmmmm not entirely sure but I would have thought that 2x1GB sticks would perform better than 4x512mb, but I am not entirely sure. I'd personally go for 2x1GB because you can then drop another 2GB into the other slots in the future if needs be where as if you have 4x512mb you'd have to replace the entire lot.

7. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

Thanks for all the help, currently im on budget, looking at the overclockers website.

Could you specify which memory you reckon?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-092-CS

Is what your talking about i assume.

Otherwise for the dominator its only 10more..

anyway. For the timebeing im going for one of the X1300, a hell of a lot better than my 128mb 7000 series radion.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-109-SP

Only becasue its cheap, will get it unless anone can justify me spending more on another one!

I hear a new ATI card is on the cards for the end of the month anyway. May get that when i get the cash.

Crossfire, worth it? (Bear in mind im a little bit of an ATI fan, and have heard it works better with steam. Will change, my main gaming is STEAM!!!)

In the mean time, my water cooling bits arrived, so my ghetto pc is a little less ghetto. Got a DD resevoir and some new fittings, so when i get my dual pumps i can stick it straight in.

New block will be put on order with the CPU.

PSU will come tomorrow... excitement!!

8. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

will i need a new operating system?

9. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

You should be ok, assuming you're on Windows 2000 or Windows XP (but you will need to reinstall it).

Graphics card looks fine for ultra-cheap. Hyper-memory is a bit rubbish, but as its a stop-gap it'll do fine.

That memory looks right. :)

10. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

Cheers all.

Am i right in thinking i could order vista x64 and then unlock the 64bit processing on the desktop. as well as in games.

Andy

11. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

The problem with 64 bit Windows is the lack of good drivers for most components. There are only a few games that have 64 bit drivers too. Unless you want to run 4+ gigs of RAM, I wouldn't consider XP 64 as a game-ready OS.

12. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Dont forget a good psu. A Corsair HX 520 is pretty cheap, and they're very good.

13. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

yeah.... i have one of those arriving today :D

Crossfire.... yes no? SLi??

what are your view on dual graphics

14. Mother-Goose

It deppends what cards you go for, and what screen you are running. For instance, the X1950XTX is a great card for running 17"/19" res's with everything turned up, but if you go for 24" gaming then you may need two in crossfire to get the best. However, if you get a 8800GS (which is cheaper than two X1950XTX's) it will destroy it, if you are going to go for crossfire or SLi though you are probably going to want one of the 680i based motherboards as they have 2 16* sli slots rather than a 16* and a 8*/4*/1* (i think im right there).

The 8800GTX is bloody expensive and too much unless you are gaming at 30".

15. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

Ok, just think out loud really. Mine will be fine ... over fine compaired to my P4 2.4 with a budget motherboard and ram, and as i said before 128mb 7000 series ATI graphics card (4* AGP!!)

Looking forward till i get home.... new PSU.

When i get my (rather large) fan grill i will start cutting etc for the radiator and acrylic housing (which i still have from like 4 years ago.. when i was into PC's last)

Then turn this around into a project log for the PC.

Andy

More comments welcome, i like chatting to you guys!
    Am i missing something? Want to make a recomendation?

PS: I want to run 2*21" CRT monitors from my graphics card (if i can) else i will just get a PCI card cheap for the 2nd monitor... mite this be better anyway?

Andy

16. Mother-Goose

Hmmmm I think we may have hit a problem, which mobo did you go with in the end?

17. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

im currently going for the gigabyte dq6..

18. Mother-Goose

COOL good choice on the mobo, unfortunately it does not support AGP, very few now do, you best bet would be to get a cheapo PCI-e gfx card (the ATi X1300 will do nicely) which will run steam (probably at the same settings you currently have) and then get a higher spec one later as you intended. The X1300's can be had for just over £40 very readily, and if you were really pushed look on fleabay :thumb:

EDIT: X1300 512mb

19. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

lol :p

if you read up abit that exactly what i will be doing.

I play steam on lowest settings 640*whatever so i can keep the fps up when playing CS.

New powersupply is amazing. i have discovered my HDD does mak noise when its thinking hard...

very pleased with it. 15days togo!!!

Andy

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well with a decent graphics card, you can easily turn that up to 1600*1200 and not suffer any lag. I play on 1920*1440 with 16x AF and 2xAA, and I get no drooping of FPS. :thumb: