1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Gears of War in "Might Justify The Hype" shock!!!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chuff_72, 31 Oct 2006.

1. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Chuff, were you saying that I'd want to shoot you in the face?

On topic, the game looks nice and all, but for some reason it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm just not a huge fan of FPS on consoles and while I own GR:AW I think it's a terrible game. Although I do pwn at some PDZ for some odd reason.

2. Chuff_72

Chuff_72 What's a Dremel?

I said it cos I was retarded about a post you made re Full Auto 2, it was a while back, just inviting you to shoot me it the face for being a tool :)

Re: Gears - it's not an FPS in any way dude, it's not really 3rd person either, if you've played RE4 then this plays very much the same but with an added stafe (thank God). So if you liked that then I would give this a burn, might surprise you - not saying it's "The Best Game Ever" or anything, but it seems to tickle me in just the right place :)

I thought GR:AW was 3rd person?

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

GOD NO. RE4 was FAR more intuitive and had a better control system. Sure, there was no hide and seek but it was more fun. Mostly because I'm an RE fanboi though :p

4. Chuff_72

Well, if you check around there are a few interviews with the Unreal guys and they essentially say that they based the control system and camera on RE4, but added a strafe for the more action oriented gameplay. By the way I LOVE RE4, but I'm not comparing "fun levels" as they're entirely different games/genres :) Although an online RE game that used RE4 as a template (not the shocking RE Online PS2 games) would be very cool, theres hope too as Capcom seem to have cracked the online model for 360 with Lost Planet, not much of a stretch for RE5 if you ask me... not that anyone ever does :waah:

5. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I find the control system in Gears to be pretty good though I think that RB6 takes it one step further and refines it a little. Once I got out of the mind set that all games should have jump just because they do on PC it became much easier to get into it, that and I hadn't played a PC FPS in about a month before hand ;)

6. Chuff_72

I've really got to give RB6:V a shot, I didn't think much of the demo and it really put me off, had to wait 25mins to join the game selected, graphics looked like PS2, instant death round every corner etc, but like anything it's a learning curve, and I heard that the graphics are much better in the released game than the demo so I'll pick it up at some point - but not before Lost Planet :rock: :rock: :rock:

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Urgh god. I tried playing the exclusive versions of RE on PS2 and it was terrible. I can see that the UT3 guys did the 3rd person + strife but the aiming on RE4 was better where everything bounced back to the centre as you held down R1.

8. Chuff_72

Ok, cool, I was using RE4 as a control scheme comparison, for gameplay it reeks of Kill.Switch - if you were really interested I've got a promo copy I could give to you (you pay postage of course ;) ) or you can probably pick int up for under a fiver.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What console? How old/

10. Chuff_72

PS2 - picked it up of £3 from Game Focus (awesome indi store in london) in their not-at-all-dodgy promo section.

The game is a few years old now, and it looked kinda dated even when it was released - quite a cool/quirky story, and a unique control style. I like it!

It's only in a jewel case so postage will be like £1.50 or something :)

11. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

I just reached the bit where i have to get to the top of the building and turn the spotlight on. While getting my team mate to stay in the light! haha.

Ice

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Thanks but I don't own a PS2 ;)

13. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I spent a couple of hours catching up with an old mate over live! last night playing co-op on insane. Money well spent IMO on both xbox live and GoW.

14. Chuff_72

No worries :)

15. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Finished hardcore last week in coop. Now going to do Insane :)

I found it abit short to be honest but ready and waiting for the next game :)

Gears of War is great.

16. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

what is Graw?

is it worth playing gow on xbox live?

17. Chuff_72

GRAW = Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter

And YES, it is worth playing GoW online. :thumb:

18. Chuff_72

Well... The patch was released yesterday and completely screwed up my flats network, this was eventually solved by switching on the UPnP-whatever it's called. But apparently there's an absolute boat load of people who can no longer host and can only view a handful of matches at once - sucks to be them :hehe: If anybody on here is having the problem - it's to do with NAT = Strict, then just google it and you'll eventually end up on a nicely hidden Xbox Live support desk that has a very useful set of instructions :D

Yet to fully explore/exploit the other updates, though I did notice that tagging with the frag has become much hard - THIS IS GOOD - and there's less glitching/freezing.

Looking forward to getting back home and downloading the new maps - apparently Raven Down is a bit wacky, kind of a close quarters style map - chainsaws at dawn etc... And Old Bones is a bit more standard, but fits in with the original set very well.

I must say I think it's a shame that the "Host Privileges" were not removed, for me they really unbalance the game - and that's even when I'm the host, as it becomes way to easy to instant kill everyone with the shotgun. :waah:

All updates below;

• Fixed aspect ratio distortion when using VGA cable with 4:3 displays at resolutions higher than 640x480
    • Fixed voice issue with new players joining Player Match games in progress
    • Players can now get the Achievement for "Dish Best Served Cold" when using Troika turret to kill RAAM
    • Fixed rare situation where host could loop countdown and never start match
    • Fixed rare situation where players could get stuck after chainsawing in multiplayer
    • Reduced Grenade Tag melee distance
    • Enabled “Strict” NAT check on host to prevent possible connection issues
    • Optimized server browser queries to return results more quickly and prevent scroll bars from hiding quality of service icons
    • Reduced number of possible revives in Execution to match Warzone
    • Removed host name from Ranked match server browser
    • Disabled security cameras in Ranked matches
    • Ranked matches now require balanced teams (3v3 or 4v4)
    • Increased penalty for quitting a Ranked match to -50 points
    • Added additional cheat detection code
    • Additional housekeeping updates

Very happy about the microphone bug being fixed, no restarting games so eveyone can chat :clap:

Some peeps have been really kicking up a fuss about the host name being removed from ranked matches, my opinion is - 1. If you want to play with friends, play Player matches. 2. Face it, it stops blatant cheating, no chainsawing all your mates to get you to the top of the rankings. 3. If the host sets an odd number for rounds then you can just do a search based on this and get round the who problem!

Anyways, I think I should get back to work... :sigh:

19. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I rented it last night and I'm seriously impressed. I think GoW might just make it into my collection.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've gotta buy a live account in order to get some online co-op with someone.

Tags: