1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Make your own USB LCD controller!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ch424, 23 Jun 2006.

1. One~Zero

One~Zero What's a Dremel?

Like I had mentioned a couple of days ago, it's going to take a little bit of time. I'm sorry, but it's not something that can happen "quickly". :sigh:

2. One~Zero

I do sell them, so if you're interested let me know. Usually sell them for about $30 plus shipping.

3. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

When somone gets the eagle files made up would it be possible for me to have a copy? i may produce a few baords myself! Thanks Kyle

4. bamboo

bamboo What's a Dremel?

CH4242
    I have WH2002A (2x20). Can i use it to make USB LCD controler?
    Thank you very much.

5. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Wow, that's a *very* nice display One~Zero!

The WH2002A seems to use a KS0066 controller - which means it should work. I cannot say for sure though, I'm afraid.

6. bamboo

bamboo What's a Dremel?

Oh no! I bough all item bit can't find U1: PIC18F2550 DIP28 and Q1; Q6: BC184L in Vietnam :waah: .
    have any link to buy them in UK?. Maybe i will ask my friend help me buy.
    thanks all
    BAN

7. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

8. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

nhenhophach, try buy.microchip.com for the PIC, and any bipolar NPN transistor should be OK in place of the BC184L.

RickDawson, I could make you an 8 button version if you like, but you'll have to pay for it... What country are you in?

9. bamboo

bamboo What's a Dremel?

Yes CH424 i saw it but that is PIC18F2550-I/SP not PIC18F2550 DIP28 Is it OK?

10. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Yes, that is OK - you have to use the PIC18F2550-I/SP version, not PIC18F2550-I/SO.

11. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Hi people

My PLED display from One~Zero arrived and it's gorgeous! Thanks so much!

[​IMG]

Time to make a black case!

ch424

12. One~Zero

Nice!! :jawdrop:
    Looks very good CH424!

13. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

that is the sex....

EAGLE FILE?

14. Scorpia

Scorpia What's a Dremel?

Looks nice,

Hows the refresh rate on the lcd's , looks a little slow.
    It looks like there is a little blurring on the bars.

the biggest complaint i have with my display is the refresh rate on the screen. but considering is about $5 us screen i guess i cant complain to much

Scorpia

15. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Thanks guys! The refresh rate is actually very good: of the 10 photos I took, that's the only one with ghosting. You can't see the ghosting when you actually look at it with your own eyes.

My current display (the orange one on the first page of the thread) suffers from terrible ghosting, but when it's doing the spectrum analyser it looks good!

16. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

The OLED displays shouldn't ghost at all. I suspect the shutter speed is what caused the ghosting on that picture.

I was looking at the schematic the other day and have a minor niggle about tha fact that there are no decoupling capacitors right at the supply pins for the PIC. They really should be less than 10mm from the PIC (even an 0805 10nF capacitor between tracks would do).

Also there is no current limiting on the PCB for the backlight - Most LCDs do not include current limiting resistors on board.

17. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Thanks Stevey, the lack of decoupling did worry me when I was on breadboard, but after soak testing (leaving it on spectrum analyser, with the backlight at 75% PWM) for 72 hours without it corrupting, I assumed it was all OK. I'm doing a revision of the board at the moment, and have moved the 100nF closer, as well as the resistor for the backlight. Do you think that'd be alright?

Thanks

ch424

18. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Yeah, they're fairly robust devices, but when you get problems from lack of decoupling, it's a nightmare! (and difficult to track down)!

Regarding the backlight LED, my guess is that most people would just follow the schematic and wonder why their display was getting hot and fading in brightness without looking at the LCD datasheet for their particular display to see the backlight requirements. So it's a useful addition even if your particular LCD didn't need it.

19. MixWizard

MixWizard Minimodder

i have found a suitable LCD (N30AZ Model), and all of the little components like the transistors, caps, resistors, usb and pic holder and PIC. but am having trouble locating the rotarry encoder which id like to put in there. the other thing i found is that the end product that ch424 cam out with had 4 transistors and this only show 2 :S also what are the BL+/- terminals? are they just 2 open terminals that dont have anything in?

20. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Thanks Stevey, I'll fix that.

My orange one is different to the circuit I published: it has a 4 channel fan speed controller, so has 6 transistors. The BL +/- terminals are for the backlight. As stated in the original post, the rotary encoder came from RS, not Farnell. Hope that helps...

ch424

Tags: