1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project IBM Resurrection: 20/06/07 - Putting it all together [PIC. 168!!!]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ThaDheiz_NL, 7 Aug 2006.

1. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Cool, the retro style will be very... misleading. Slap in a Core2 and tell your friends that your 386 gets 40,000 fps in Doom.

2. Den-nis

Den-nis What's a Dremel?

Thoisch got the new stuff :D Love it!

3. ThaDheiz_NL

ThaDheiz_NL What's a Dremel?

Update 8 - The Stuff Arrived :clap:

Finally the day has come :) The hardware arrived :D This means that I will have to finish up the case up so I will be able to install the hardware and install the server :) Afther that I can start work on the details. I won't hold you up much longer, here are the pictures:

[​IMG]
    YEAH! Picture no. 100 :thumb:

[​IMG]
    4x Special WD RAID Edition Disks 320 GB each :rock:

The only thing that we need before starting to build the hardware in the case is an motherboard. I want a M-ATX mobo with RAID 5 onboard :) Therefor we ended our search with the "Asus A8V-VM". Actually quite weird, fixing a M-ATX board in such a huge case. This is because we can use the M-ATX board in an other case in the future (which is M-ATX) and updating this PC to a dual Xeon or dual Opteron.

Next up is fixing the three 120mm fans on the HDD cage and building the powersupply bracket. I hope I can finish both point before Sunday, so that we can install the hardware on sunday :)

4. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Damn i love big cases! :D

5. ThaDheiz_NL

Update 9 - Fixing the harddrive Cooling

Today I concentrated on fixing the cooling of the harddrivebay. I need to fix the fans onto the harddrive bay:

[​IMG]
    The fans unpacked: 3x 120mm and 1x 92mm
    The 2x 80mm will be used later on :)

[​IMG]
    This is how they're going to be fixed to the Harddrive bay :)

[​IMG]
    One fan can cool three disks at once :)

[​IMG]
    When I drilled the attatchment holes, the drill bit got stuck and it just broke off :| Proberbly a weak drill bit, cause they aren't supposed to break that easely XD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And fixed :)

[​IMG]
    The I made two straps of aluminium and attached them to the bottom and top of the harddrive bay. This for a better stabilaty of the harddrive bay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And fixed as well :) Now it gives much better stability, so it doesn't deform that well...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the cooling for the harddrive bay is finished :D Next up is fixing the Powersupply bay :) Nice job for me to do in the weekend :)

6. exo²

exo² What's a Dremel?

nice man
    i love the big case
    look good so far

7. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

Looks very good!, keep it up!

8. CasteR

CasteR What's a Dremel?

rock on ISA slots! now THATS old school. have a couple oldies myself. good luck with the mod man. its lookin good!

9. Den-nis

Den-nis What's a Dremel?

great, Thoisch! :D

10. Devrethman

Devrethman What's a Dremel?

Wow that's awesome. I wish I had old cases sitting around. I've always wanted to do a retro mod, but my parents where mac people (the first windows machine in my house was a 1GHZ athlon), and I'd kill myself before I tore up our functioning original mac classic (not like I could fit anything useful in it anyway.

11. KlavKalashj

KlavKalashj What's a Dremel?

Reeeally nice indeed! Love your work, and longing for next update! Really goodlooking harddrivebay, it will be nice. Are you going to paint the inside? What will you do on the outside? (Read the thread, klava-.-) Keep it up!:D

12. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

Old hardware doesnt die, it just gets upgraded :) Theres nothing better than seeing somthing like this being reused without destroying its roots. I particularly like the 5 1/4" floppy to dvd idea, but can also imagine the difficultys with getting it to fit and work right.

Also, having seen your drive rack and going on my experience over the last year or so building mine, i wish i'd used pop rivits :(

Finally, those memory modules, is there any chance you'd be able to post one or both of them to the UK?

13. ThaDheiz_NL

@exo² - Thnx dude :D

@kylelnsn - Thnx for the compliment, I will post the next update today ;)

@CasteR - Thnx dude :)

@Den-nis - thnx m8 ;) :thumb: Was a nice party @jesus yesterday evening :rock:

@Devrethman - thnx :) I used to work with OS/2 cause my dad was experimenting with it for IBM :) That was a nice OS. Maybe I can integrate some OS/2 stuff in the software aspect of the mod. Thnx for the inspiration ;)

@KlavKalashj - Thnx dude, I appriciate your post :) as I said to kylelnsn, I will post a new update about the Powersupply bay later on today :) I'm also planning on painting the whole case white, but I have to figure out if I'm going to do it myself, or that I will go to a (car) spraypainter :thumb:

@Phat Ass - Wow, thnx for posting Phat Ass, I also love your work :) The 5 1/4" floppy drive isn't standard on the IBM PS/2 but you could buy it additional. When I would build in the 5 1/4" floppydrive, then I had to rethink the whole harddisk bay, which would result in me storing less harddrives... And that would be a shame in such a big case ;)

About the Memory modules, there is a possibility for me to send one to the UK, you can send me a PM about it, so we can discuss it :) Thnx for posting :thumb:

and now, back to modding again :dremel:

Last edited: 14 Jan 2007
  14. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Hey mate, starts to look nice :) What you could do is get yourself a spraycan of "spuit plamuur" to make sure the end result (from the bondo) will be perfectly smooth.

15. ThaDheiz_NL

hahahaha, thnx ReFredzRate, but that won't be a big problem, I sanded the bondo afterwords with an extra high grid, so it's perfectly smooth now :) thnx for the tip :thumb:

16. galimim

galimim What's a Dremel?

Wow you are relay need a lot of space to have 4 320GB disks.How will you cool CPU?? Air water perhaps?

17. ThaDheiz_NL

Update 10 - Constructing the Powersupply Bay -> PART 1

This afternoon it was time to start casemodding again and this time, constructing the powersupply bay. First up to do was unpacking the powersupply and taking mesurements (since I couldn't find the dimensions on the internet...)

[​IMG]
    Quite a big box for a rather small powersupply :) I like the panter ;)

[​IMG]
    All the contents of the package.

[​IMG]
    The back. The PSU has a nice and shiny powdercoting :) I like it :D

[​IMG]
    Next up was fixing the cooling for the Powersupply. I had to fix the 92mm fan in front of the standard powersupply outtake.

[​IMG]
    Fan is fixed :) There still is enough space for me to fix a mini powercable from the powersupply to the back of the case, through the standard hole.

[​IMG]
    From the inside

[​IMG]
    Now I had to make the powersupply bay out of L-alu profiles.

[​IMG]
    And a markup so you can see how it should look like. It turned out that I didn't had any M4 bolds left, cause I used them all in my last Vista Media Center project :duh: . Therefor I taped it together so you guys can see what's the plan

I also had to take out a piece, because of the main powercable. Ask you can see I allready marked the spot :)

I want to fix the upper horizontal alu profile agains the case, so the powersupply will be fixed on it's side. There will be enough space between the 120mm top fan and the side, so fresh air isn't an problem

[​IMG]
    And another shot from the back. The back will be in front of the 92mm fan, so the hot air will be sucked out through the standard powersupply outtake.

That's all for part one. Tomorrow I will have to get some M4 bolds so I can put the whole thing together. Then I can also fix the hole for the main powercable :) After that it's getting some plexi, to finish it up :)

@galimim - I will use a Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu LED CPU cooler :) enough to keep the AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice cpu OCed @ 38C :thumb:

Last edited: 14 Jan 2007
  18. Den-nis

Den-nis What's a Dremel?

w00t :D Ik kom hem binnenkort wel ff IRL uitchecken :D

19. ThaDheiz_NL

@Den-nis - Next time you're here you can check it out ;) Allthough it will be more interesting when I start working with plexi and start building in the hardware :)

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Teh sweet, this is awesome!

Just beware, those AC fans aren't too quiet :(