1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling experience with Coollaboratory Liquid Pro?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by buchans, 10 Jan 2007.

1. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

2. furqan

furqan What's a Dremel?

I haven't had any experience using it but it looks like a great drop in temps. Wouldn't using the arctic silver way of applying it work ie. applying a drop in the middle of the chip and allowing the heatsink/waterblock to spread out the paste.

3. Hazchem

Hazchem Minimodder

I've got some arriving TOMORROW with some W/C gear, so when I get round to installing it all I will let you know. I do know that you should not us it with anything aluminium as it will instantly start to rapidly corrode it.

4. modster

modster What's a Dremel?

liquid metal that eats aluminum... are you sure it has no mercy in it?

5. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

yes Ive done the reasearch and have copper blocks, I'm waiting on a delivery today and should be testing over the weekend.

Would be cool if you post your 'spreading' experiences.

yes, I saw a site where someone put his alu block on and it got eaten by about 1cm at the edges in seconds.

6. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

i doubt that it disolved his block that quickly. but it does say dont use on alu, products. I dont think i would use this stuff, it has to contain some crazy and probably not good stuff if it is lquid at room temp, and eats alu.

edit found this on their state.
    "Coollaboratory Liquid Pro" was designed for use with high quality coolers made of copper or silver.
    Aluminum coolers are unsuitable (of course this applies only to the cooler's contact surface onto which
    "Coollaboratory Liquid Pro". is spread).
    Note: Do not use cheap aluminum coolers. Their quality is not very high, and aluminum is not resistant
    against our Liquid Metal. Aluminum could form an alloy with "Coollaboratory Liquid Pro" which would react
    with the surrounding air's humidity. A black stain forms after a while, showing insulating qualities. '
    Therefore: No contact of "Coollaboratory Liquid Pro" with aluminum. NO ALUMINUM COOLERS!

Last edited: 13 Jan 2007
  7. spacemunkee

spacemunkee What's a Dremel?

mine arrives monday, so your should have atleast 2 real reviews. From what i have seen application isnt as hard as that review site makes out. I have seen a couple of guides using a small paint brush which works really really well.

8. silentphoenix

silentphoenix What's a Dremel?

Short term reviews are good, but read up on how ppl feel about it after a fair while - how easy will it be to remove the paste if you decide to change? will you even be able to remove it after it dries? does perf go pearshaped after the stuff has dried?

After looking into these, I decided I should just play it safe and stick with proven AS5 untill something thats all round better comes out... and I think the new Zalman paste might just be it :D

9. spacemunkee

spacemunkee What's a Dremel?

So you did some looking in to and found what exactly? not being a cock or anything but you brought up some questions , said you looked in to them and then decided not to bother getting it. Maybe im getting the wrong end of the stick and you werent even looking at the liquid pro stuff? *shrug*

10. SaII

SaII What's a Dremel?

This stuff hardens and will be uber hard to remove.

It is better than AS5.

And last but not least,

VERY VERY hard to apply.

11. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

this stuff comes clean with an organic solvent. or a chrome polish

12. silentphoenix

silentphoenix What's a Dremel?

Its just that ive come across a few threads that discouraged me from using the stuuf, like this one:
    http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showpost.php?p=157279&postcount=4

Also, im not sure if you knwo about the warning telling you not to use with Alu heatsinks... well that only went up after someone found out for themselves, and was never there originally on the site.

In the end I decided to play it safe and stick with proven AS5 as its from a known lineage of thermal pastes :D (im not sure if CoolLabs have made any other note worth paste). Im not doubting that Liq.Pro give better results, its just that I would want to see some long term reviews on it before I make a switch (who know, it may be even ure review that will make me change ma mind).

Last edited: 14 Jan 2007
Tags: