1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics COM PORT WINAMP CONTROL - volume controllers

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Lemonize, 14 Jan 2007.

1. agent420

agent420 What's a Dremel?

I think in this case the location of the control has some merit... if this was feeding a remote amp, it's probably not the best scenario to have the pot at the end of a long run of line signal cable...

But yes, I agree with you, that's why I mentioned it ;)

2. Lemonize

Lemonize What's a Dremel?

i just thought, that i even dont need to change the knob - i will just put another one on it and that is all. it could be easier, imho. cuz every time i see all these electronic schemes i have headache :duh:

i did already, yesterday. now waiting for the reply. could be good also to find some retailer in europe... on netherlands page i dont understand anything, all in holland lang.. will try uk etc.

3. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

I don't say that analogue volume controls are worse then digital (software) alterations to the signal... but simply putting a dimmer-pot on a line-level signal is ugly... bad... evil... yuck :p

anyways, about the topic, the way to use that rotary-encoder is explained in the file agent420 linked to... so that's one problem solved... what was the other problem again? :hip:

EDIT: I see, electronics isn't your thing? :p nobody nearby you able to build a circuit for you from that schematic? It's a very good one... all you need is some simple cmos parts...

4. Lemonize

electronic is really not my thing. i can build some simple things, but this scheme is hard for me. i will ask people around, also.. but if Powermate is able to control winamp in background, i will buy and modify it. up to know it is easier for me.

5. DonCorleone76

DonCorleone76 Modmaster deluxe

It will control volume also when winamp is in the background, because it regulates the main volume of your windows, so therefore also winamp, it's very modable :dremel: , and it looks cool, the mainknob is easily removable from the base, so i think your goals will be met the most simple way when you'll use this device. links:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/5ca2/

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-PowerMate-Multimedia-Controller/dp/B00006BINO

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home...-on-ipod-dock-pats-selves-on-backs-226644.php

best of luck. Theo.

6. Lemonize

thanx, Theo. what do you by "the main windows volume"? volume taskbar.. ?
    if that, then it is even more easier to me take off the volume regulator from speakers, for example, connect it direct to sound card output and then make my mod. :dremel:

i need exactly winamp. let's wait for the reply from griffin, i hope they will reply in nearest days. :rolleyes:

7. Lemonize

not so good as I thought :blah:

reply from griffin: "Actually it will only control the volume of the computer not WINAMP unless you are in WINAMP itself."

then i see, that there is no sense to me to buy powermate. i saw some articles over the internet, how to make external system volume controller.

i will publish them here also, for you just to have a look and may be give some advice. :dremel:

found one - in connection with game port:

[​IMG]

but i can not understand, how to unite (knit together?) it. where is the 3rd resistor leg.. ? etc.

can you advice smth? thx :dremel: :)

Last edited: 18 Jan 2007
  8. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

The thrid leg isnt attached to anything iirc

9. DonCorleone76

DonCorleone76 Modmaster deluxe

The picture is quite self explanatory, just a matter of soldering the numbers in the diagram to the same numbers on a 15p d-sub connector for a gameport.

Can you give me the link of where you found this picture, because i've tried to find it, but google let me down.
    Thanx in advance.

10. agent420

Perhaps I have not ingested enough coffee, but that led wiring scheme looks all wrong...

And is that some kind of encoder setup, or simply dual pole switches with led indicators?

And, you still have a game port? Wow.

11. Lemonize

this scheme is named: mixer game port control.

you connect 4 resistors to game port, install 2-axes joystick to windows, configure all with software, and you can regulate master, cd, wave and midi - externally.

it does not work under xp, i as found.
    now i am just putting the resistor between line-out and speakers..

i will show the scheme a bit later

12. Lemonize

What is what on the scheme - potentiometer

guys, how do i "read" this resistor:

[​IMG]

all the contacts are in one line, i can not understand what is what on the scheme... :wallbash:

13. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

You need to find the datasheet for that part. It'll tell you in there what's what.

14. Lemonize

i would be happy.. but i dont know even the name of it.

15. agent420

I am hoping you have that part already and are not just asking about some random part by providing a photo of it here with no other clue as to where you located it, what part #, etc., because that would be pretty silly. :eyebrow:

Use a multimeter and measure the resistance across various legs as you turn the knob. If you do not have a multimeter, go out and buy one, you can get a cheap one for only a couple of $.

If I had to simply guess, I'd say that it is double ganged with the left 3 pins wired to one pot and the right 3 wired to the other, and pins 2 and 5 are the wipers.

edit -

Reading your post again, what scheme are you referring to?

Last edited: 29 Jan 2007
  16. Lemonize

yes, i have scheme.
    here it is:

[​IMG]

when i had double-resistor with 2 "levels" that was not a problem :wallbash:

17. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

has anyone managed to get anything working?