1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Majority of US women living without spouse

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 17 Jan 2007.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

UK figures from the 2001 Census
    Code:
    One person households	        7395015  	 	
    Married couple households	8975623  36.7%	 	
    Cohabiting couple households	1969156   8.0%	 	
    Lone parent households:
         with dependent children	1602032  	 	
         with non-dep children only	 771340  	 	
    All other households	        3766273

The American figures don't necessarily point to a nation of shameless hussies living in sin. Maybe to marrying later, a higher divorce rate and a longer life expectancy for women. The UK figures show a majority of households don't include a married couple, but the cohabitant ones are fairly low (though the figure jumps to 9% in my South Yorkshire area :rock: ).

3. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Just reading those figures cpemma - Does that mean that of children living at home (with single parents) almost 1/3 of homes have children over the age of 18 (classed as non-dependant)? Or am I reading that wrong?

4. ozer

ozer What's a Dremel?

Cthippo's figures would suggest that (by inference) majority of U.S. men also live without a spouse, would they not?

Considering the female and male population in U.S. are equal, one would think so...

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It presumably includes an adult looking after an elderly widowed parent as well as grown kids who haven't left the nest yet. Every possibility lumped into the one figure, just as "All other households" will include gay couples and a bunch of students sharing, among others. You don't have to go too deep into personal details on census forms, or read too much in media interpretation. ;)

The surprising figure (to me) is people living alone, nearly 1 in 3 households. :confused:

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I think we're all missing the main point here: Are any of them hot?

On another note: why women? Is there a distinct lack of men in America or something? Or are there just a LOAD of homosexual men, but lesbionism just aint that popular.

7. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It makes for a better news story, and young rednecks can make comments like, "Are any of them hot?" :p :D

Of course, it could be this
    :worried:

Last edited: 18 Jan 2007
  8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

No, but there is a distinct lack of men worth marrying, men who won't be threatened when she brings home a bigger paycheck and expects him to do housework too. That's part of why you're seeing professional single women having children later in life. Women have realized they can have it all and they don't need a man to get it.

9. Snafu-X-

Snafu-X- What's a Dremel?

I've got a wife, what's wrong with the rest of you?

10. MystChic

MystChic Geology Rocks!

How true. I think a good man is harder to find than a good woman..

That and.. from an early age a lot of women are taught to be independent, to not rely on a man for anything (says me.. I'm 21 and my Daddy still prepares my meals..).

Womens roles are changing, too. We're taking our places - but pushing men out of their traditional roles. To a certain point it could almost be said that they're losing their place in society.

*sighs* I dunno - tradition, along with chivalry and romance - died a long time ago.