1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News One in five Windows installs not genuine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 24 Jan 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Not surprising at all. Look at China's massive illegal software and piracy market.

3. djellison

djellison What's a Dremel?

I figure 22% of my time is spent wondering why XP is being clunky, giving me grief or causing me technical issues - maybe it's the balance of nature for XP to be pirated to the tune of how much is can annoy people :)

At least it's cheap compared to Vista.

Doug

4. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I am not surprised at this figure,
    That is were the largest portion would be from. What percentage would it for the rest of the world?

Totally untrue, my dad bought a computer which came with XP pro, and when he went to validate it, it came back counterfeit. Promptly rang M$ and told them everything. Their answer "for the low low price of $100 more than what it cost in the shop, we will validate yours for you"
    He promptly told them to **** off and just went on without those precious updates.

5. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

What about the people who have genuine copies obtained illegally? Corporate licensing coming back to bite them in the ass, now is it?

**Notice: This post does not imply that I may or may not have or had an illegal installation of a legitimate license that may or may not have been obtained through a person who may or may not be my brother who may or may not work at a university which may or may not be named CWRU.

6. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Wow, why don't you just phone Microsoft and give them his details.

You fallen out with your brother? lol :D

EDIT: On a side note, I run a genuine copy of XP pro obtained through MSDNAA. Out of curiosity though, is windows update (and WGA validation) the only way to obtain updates for XP? I know there are sites like this one that allow you to manually update but does it still depend on a WGA check? If not, how would this ever deter pirates?

Last edited: 24 Jan 2007
  7. DougEdey

Corporate licensing keys are only legal for that company/license.

IF you're talking about the FCKGW then thats just stupid. MS have banned that for years.

If you obtain a Genuine Copy Illegally then how can it be Legal?

8. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Yeah, thats so 2002. :p

I've got a legit copy of Windows XP Home, which was conveniently free from Uni.
    I am tempted by Vista Home Premium though, I think I'll get it with my next upgrade. :)

9. DougEdey

Vista Business is on MSDNAA

10. WhiskeyAlpha

Doug, I have the Business version from MSDNAA but I'm yet to install it.

Do you know what restrictions are in place in terms of changing hardware (i.e. mobo) on the MSDNAA license fpr Vista Business?

I know with the OEM copy it's a bit of a no-go, with full retail you get like 10 validations or something so what's the deal here?

11. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

Is it bad that I honestly thought that 20% was lower than expected?

12. DougEdey

I've not changed any hardware, but I think it won't cause any problems, it's a specific MSDNAA keycode, so when you re-activate it shouldn't cause a problem.

I know this because there was a problem with our Universities MSDNAA account and my original key was rescinded temporarily untill the problem was sorted. I got a warning from Windows that a hardware change had occurred and Windows needed to be re-activated, it refused my original key (I didn't realise the problem with the Universities account originally) and I had 30 days to get a new one. I got an email from MSDNAA with the new one and there was an option to request a new key (IIRC) if you needed one. So it should be OK.

13. WhiskeyAlpha

Cheers mate :thumb: ,

When I get home from uni today, I'll give it a whirl.

14. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

With the price tag for an OS and the fact that every PC needs one and the fact that most people have a PC now and MS pushing for every home in the world to have one ,and that there is no real other choice. Is it realy that suprising that 1 in 5 are pirated.

I would expect there to be 1 legal Windows to 30 pirated.

Yes there Unix Linix and what have you but they are not compatible with 90% of the software and hardware out there like windows.

15. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Yeah ditto, i'll be totally honest with you I don't know a single person who runs a legit copy of the OS. Now I don't think £50 for a copy of XP home is a bad deal its just that when its so easy to get a copy for free and theres no fear of retribution what ya gonna do?

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i think i am the only person i know that has a legit copy of it..... :worried:

17. wehopeuchoke

wehopeuchoke What's a Dremel?

There is a workaround with windows server 2003 std that will allow WGA authentication all the time every time. If it can be done to their server software surely it has been done with XP?

I must admit I don't know anyone who has a legit copy either, unless it came with their pc as oem.

I don't use XP but would probably consider buying an OEM copy of vista as around £100 aint that bad for an os that should last a good few years + all the updates/service packs that will come FOC. However to limit the changes you can make on your hardware is a bad, bad move. Not much point buying the damned software if I'm guna have to run a crack when I change my hardware! :rolleyes:

*oops old sig with a win xp machine, cant quite remember if that one was legal....* :worried: *fixed*

18. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I'm guessing that most of those people have an old computer or built their own computer?

99% of users buy a box and it comes with Windows. Unless the store is particularly dodgy it will come with a legit copy.

19. matt.slysnake

matt.slysnake Banned

Years ago when i got my PC upgraded at a shop they put corporate winxp on my PC... ofc i didn't know anything about PC's then and i didn't even notice till a couple of years later :Z

20. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Heh, same here.

Tags: Add Tags