1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Keyboard mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Spoonhead, 17 Jan 2007.

1. Spoonhead

Spoonhead What's a Dremel?

Hey guys. I am just woundering if anyone knew the best way to cut out the letters on the keys. I want to then stick red leds in each key to back lit the letters.

Any ideas?

2. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

your keys will have to be hollow to be able to do that anyways... if that's what your keys are, use a dremel + a steady hand ;)

3. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

I would use a very very thin drtill bit or something as cutting it would be very difficult. Plus I don't think this is a very good idea of a mod as there are a lot of keys on a keyboard and you will just blind yourself with that amount of LEDs. Also wiring them up will be a big pain.

4. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

plus, your keyboard will get really filthy during use, as there are holes in your keyboard which aren't that easy to clean...

5. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

you would have to laser cut or waterjet them to get it to work and not look like ass. i dont care how steady your hands are, there are a lot of keys on a keyboard and a lot of chances to screw up as tedious a job as this is.

6. MixWizard

MixWizard Minimodder

you would have to get them laser etched as compaq said. otherwise youll get the holes filled with dirt and itll be horrible to type with

check out

http://tinyurl.com/2tw782

7. the fodder

the fodder What's a Dremel?

just buy yourself a Decky They only sell custom keycaps in packs of 12 or you could just get the caps.

8. frogle79

frogle79 What's a Dremel?

9. Stwongbad

Stwongbad What's a Dremel?

holy crap those decks are look AWESOME.
    if they werent so f'in expensive jesus christ!!!

10. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Ive got to say. I got a saitek eclipse II keyboard and I absolutely love it. it so far has been the best keyboard I have ever owned. It types really well if that matters to any of you. It also has 3 selectable backlight colors (blue/red/pink) where pink is a combination of both blue and red so it lights the keys up a little bit better with more light.

The problem with the keyboards that light up the keys so much is that it gets really distracting at night trying to type with it. That is to say you should already know where all the keys are on your keyboard. but its nice to see what you are doing. Really I have no gripe about the saitek at all. great keyboard that I would not hesitate to buy again </fanboy>

11. ikra

ikra What's a Dremel?

the backlights are the selling point of the eclipse 2, and the good thing about it is that it has simplistic design.

12. sparkyftw

sparkyftw What's a Dremel?

I will agree, I love my saitek eclipse II also. Best christmas gift this year by far.

13. MixWizard

MixWizard Minimodder

they are great keyboards have been using one since it was released. The only compaint i can come up with, having used the Eclipse 1 is that the backlights arent as bright. But it is a very good keyboard all the same. and as warrior said you should know where the keys are so it doesnt matter :p

14. Vequalsir

Vequalsir What's a Dremel?

Saitek Keyboards

I really like the EclipseII Boards. I found mine for $65 and love it.

15. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Ive got the saitek pc games keyboard and have been put of saiteks range. I have never managed to get the additional keys to work on eather linux or winbloze

16. Lunn1

Lunn1 What's a Dremel?

those keyboards arent really that much, i bought the G15 by Logitech for 100 USD, which is roughly 51 (your currency). its truthfully a nice keyboard, backlight that can be adjusted to 3 different brightness, 15 progammable keys or 45 progammable keys depending how you look at it. a LCD screen for gaming and other sorts of stuff that you wish to mod. a good site for that is www.g15mods.com

17. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

I saw a black Saitek Eclipse II today in HMV, yes HMV, and it was only £25.