1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Using MacBook closed

Discussion in 'Software' started by KMS-oul, 28 Jan 2007.

1. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

Just a quick question...

Is it safe to use the MacBook closed for long periods of time?? When closed there is less space exposed for the airvents. I was hoping to use my macbook as a desktop replacement utalising a external monitor, keyboard etc.

Cheers

2. Dizman

Dizman What's a Dremel?

I've heard bad things about how leaving laptops on and closed can damage the screen. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but I just leave my macbook open, and as an added bonus, I get a second monitor to work with. If I remember correctly, osx won't easily let you make it not sleep when you close the lid anyways.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Nah, OSX easily allows for it on the new Intel systems. As long as the system's in a usable state anyways (ie, external keyboard, mouse, and monitor).

I wouldn't suggest it for long periods, but I've done it before on my supremely hot MBP several times.

4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

why not set it up on a stand and use as a secondary display?

5. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

The macbook vents do not vent into the screen so you are fine. Just use it in clamshell and don't worry about it :)

6. solar

solar What's a Dremel?

It says you can do this in the MacBook manual, so if it catches fire you can blame Apple :thumb:

Seriously, I've used it like this for long periods of time, both for general desktop work and for watching movies. It doesn't get any hotter than it does with the lid open.

7. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

i do with my mbp when watching movies through front row, so it defaults to my 30" lcd instead of the tiny 15" mbp screen

8. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

I will be using it as a secondary monitor however when I want to watch a movie or use my DIY projector I would like it to be in total darkness.

I think ill give it a shot It will only be for a few hours at a time anyway.

9. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

I've done it before with mine, it doesn't mind as long as you have peripherals plugged in so when you close the lid you can wake it up again :)

10. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

could always just reduce screen backlight brightness to 0

11. tekcajder

tekcajder What's a Dremel?

i bought my gf a laptop cooler that sits under the laptop, it has 2 x 120mm fans blowing through an aluminum plate, it keeps it nice and cool. I'm in the states, so i'm not sure whats available in the UK.

I've seen passive ones that just put some space between the laptop and table, if you're using it closed for long periods of time ... i'd recommend one with a fan.

12. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

for the most part, those don't do so much with apple laptops, especially the plain macbooks, as they feature an entirely plastic enclosure, as well as no vents on the bottom of the computer. the macbook pros feature an aluminum enclosure, but the difference will not be much regardless, as again, they don't have any vents on the bottom of the computer

13. solar

solar What's a Dremel?

You can use the Apple Remote to wake it up too.

Tags: