1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 250W power supply / video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mutiny92, 3 Feb 2007.

1. Mutiny92

Mutiny92 What's a Dremel?

I just bought a cheap computer off tiger direct but it only has a 250W PSU. I want to get a PCI-E 16x graphics card, but most recommend a higher wattage. Are there some decent mid-rnge graphics cards that would be ok with a 250W...I don't want to spend the $ to replace the PSU right now.

2. ckfordy

ckfordy What's a Dremel?

Most decent graphics card I would think would not work with a 250 watt power supply cause it would have low amps on the 12 v rail. I would save up some money and buy a new power supply and then a new video card.

3. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I don't think any video card worth paying for will run on 250W, even low end ones need 300W PSUs to function, just try finding a PSU by a good manufacturer online. Check this thread for info on what manufacturers are good: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=121514

Remember, a cheap 600W PSU won't perform as well as a good quality 400W!

4. Mutiny92

Mutiny92 What's a Dremel?

thanks...that's what I feared...

5. camel

camel What's a Dremel?

that's weird - Shuttle SFF PCs come with 250W PSUs - are you saying that it's not possible to put a video card in a shuttle?

(apologies for jumping in)

6. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

You can put one in, but very high-end ones will over tax it. Those are also better quality PSUs then most pre-built computers come with, which are the cheapest, weakest required to power the hardware.

Tags: