1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C2D E6300 High Temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ashchap, 20 Jan 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I still recon your heatsink isnt properly attached. S775 is a NIGHTMARE to get right with the plastic clips, you really have to push down on the centre HARD and then press in the sides again.

I ended up replacing them with bolts and springs to make sure it works every time.

[​IMG]

2. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

you mean push down on the actual heatsink, and then push the clips down?

do you think i need to spread the paste out? (if so, what should i use to spread it?)

3. axscpu

axscpu What's a Dremel?

that doesn´t look good, it should be uniform...the same amount of thermal paste on the heatsink as on the cpu, though i would recomend buying yourself another heatsink and throwing the intel one out the windows.
    the other thing could be to take your motherboard out of the case and install the heatsink and then reinstall it again.
    LOVE YOUR IDEA Bindibadgi, way cool !!!!

I use a aluminum square that i have to spreed the paste all together and to make it uniform,
    just found the edit button, my bad :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :duh:

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Jan 2007
  4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

That paste is fine. You'll NEVER get the same amount on the CPU as the sink with the stock gunky stuff. It's far to thick and gloopy.
    Contact there looks good. There's paste everywhere there should be and its nicely spread out over both the sink and the CPU itself.
    As long as the clips "click" on the stock cooler then it's fitted correctly. The 775 stock coolers are easy to fit (tho not quite as easy as the A64 coolers) once you get the nack.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Use a credit card or something similar to scrape it across. (with the mobo outside your case) Put your fingers underneath, then press down in the centre with your thumb, then using your other hand really force down all the clips and make sure they are turned the right way.

However, like said, I'd ditch anything with the black plastic clips for something else.

axscpu: Thanks :) But could you edit your posts rather than reply to yourself. Ta.

6. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

ok, i took out the motherboard, scraped most of the gunk off the cpu and managed to spread it out on the heatsink

clean(er) cpu
    TIM on heat sink

it was pretty hard work spreading that stuff out, i got the best results by using a small nail like a rolling pin

i put the heatsink back on using bindi's method, and put the pc back together

my temperatures (cpu0/cpu1) now are:

idle: 67/63
    load: 77/72

so the idle temp has gone up a little bit, but the load temperature has gone down.

still, theres got to be something else wrong here, do you think i might have a faulty chip?

ive just realised (because super pi was taking 4 secs longer) that somehow my cpu multiplier has changed to 6 instead of 7!

after setting the multiplier back to 7 the temps are pretty much what they were before

idle 67/64
    load 79/75

Last edited: 20 Jan 2007
  7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Maybe the surface of your CPU or heatsink is concave slightly, which makes poor contact.

Stick something you KNOW is straight (like a metal ruler) across the cpu surface and on the bottom of the heatsink and use your eye to see if there's a gap. I'd still seriously consider investing in a better heatsink though.

8. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

do you have any suggestions for a better heat sink? Is there one that is really quiet but better than the intel one?

9. trig

trig god's little mistake

anything out is quiter and better cooling...if your concerned about price, try mine...golden orb II or blue orb II by thermaltake...otherwise the freezer 7

10. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

well i bought the freezer 7 pro (with arctic silver 5) and now its idling at about 48/50, 59/60 under full load. I think thats with the fan on minimum though - i cant seem to turn off my motherboard fan speed control.

That seems like a decent temperature doesnt it? (ambient temp is 33C) It seems like the crappy intel heatsink was to blame.

11. trig

decent...try to figure out how to turn the fan up...

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Doesn't sound bad at all on a minimum setting with a "B" batch chip. :)

13. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

This seems a bit late, and a bit odd considering the temps you'd posted earlier, but from what I've seen the maximum temperature on an E6300 is 61.4 C.

14. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Seen? Where? This guys seen 80, so the CPU's DO run hotter than 61. The CPU's themselves are specced to throttle ~ 80 deg also so don't see where you got 61.4 from :) Please enlighten us.

15. spacemunkee

spacemunkee What's a Dremel?

Probably was looking at intels figures highland3r, thermal capacity or whatever it is on their site.

I would lap the processor if i was you, it definitely seems to me like the obvious next course of action.

16. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Lappings dodgy. If you do a crap job (which is highly likely if you don't do it properly) then you make things worse. Also loose warranty and resale value/prospects drop consierably.

17. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

er, what is lapping? it sounds like something I'm very unlikely to be doing myself...

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Basically sanding the heatspreader to give it a better, flatter finish.

19. trig

yeah, like krikkit said...temps are good considering...just see if you can raise the fan speed a lil...

20. spacemunkee

spacemunkee What's a Dremel?

lapping dropped my temps by 6 degrees and i wouldnt say it was at all a hard thing to do. The chances of reselling a e6300 are a bit slim dont you think considering the price cuts in april on "better" C2D's