1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.2Ghz vs 3.0Ghz?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DarkLord7854, 8 Feb 2007.

1. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

My little E6300 is getting a new CPU cooler over the weekend, and was just wondering if there was anything really to be gained from pushing it any more then it's current clock speed? I mainly use it for gaming, used to do video editing also but I refurbished a MacG4 and installed OSX and all that good stuff.

Will there be much of a performance increase from 2.2Ghz to 3.0Ghz? (Generally speaking, I'm pretty sure I can hit 2.8 at least). I have the eVga 680i mobo coupled with a 7900GS.

Is it even worth going through the trouble of switching out the cooler?

2. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Sure. It'll preform like a x6800. Will it be huge? Nah. But it will give you a couple extra frams and clean up some of the rough spots in games

3. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

You might not want to push it too hard.

It'll get hot, so it will need cooling and that means noise. And obviously it will possibly shorten the life of the chip somewhat.

Overclocking to E6400 levels is not an issue. Overclocking to E6600 would mean a decent boost but probably sustainable. X6800? Erm... dunno. I don't think anyone is quite sure how far they can go. The chips are not even a year old yet.

So my suggestion is to o/c it a bit for the hell of it and for that little bit of performance, but don't push too hard for too long.

4. spacemunkee

spacemunkee What's a Dremel?

2.8ghz is very realistic and its what i am currently running mine at. Temps arent an issue with an aftermarket cooler. Well worth doing in my opinion.

5. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Noise is. To some of us at least.

I've got my E6600 upped to 2.8GHz with a few extra degrees and a 50% more RPM on the CPU fan, which I'm happy with. I'm still exploring how far I can go without making the fans become annoying...

6. DarkLord7854

Thanks for the replies,

I'm at least hoping to hit 2.8Ghz, the fan I'm working with is this one: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835118114
    Don't think I should be too worried about noise with it since it's 120mm the RPMs don't reach ear-bleeding fast levels :hehe:

It's a left-over cooler I have that I haven't used yet and don't have any use for till now. I think it should do the job. Otherwise I've been contemplating one of those Blue/Gold Orb Thermaltake Coolers or the Thermaltake Big Typhoon which I got for my brother yesterday.

7. trig

trig god's little mistake

im running 2.8 as well...thermaltake golden orb Ii...temps are low 40's idle, high 40's load...fan is silent...good luck

8. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I suspect the Zalman will be more than good enough, and pretty quiet as well...

9. trig

probably, but i have heard that it doesnt cool quiet as well as the all copper fin one

10. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Obviously it won't do, but there's not that much difference between the two that would merit getting a new cooler IMHO.

11. trig

not sure what ur sayin...i believe he is getting the zalman now, not already owns it...if u mean it's not worth 5 bucks for the all copper one in terms of extra cooling performance, i wouldnt know...if it knocked 2 degrees c off, i would do it

12. nazomcg

nazomcg Minimodder

2.8 ghz is easily attainable, even on stock cooling, so if you are using that nice zalman you should have no problems at all.

13. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

He says the zalman is a left-over one he already has....

14. trig

o... ok...my bad

15. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

snipped.

Edit: Sorry - just seen that you have also edited your reply! lol

16. trig

yeah...had to re-read it...caught it that time...so...ur right...i have the golden orb II, and prolly not worth shelling out 35 bucks vs using that zalman

17. DarkLord7854

Ah alright I see, thanks for the tips ;)

18. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

ive got my e6600 @ 3.825 and the perfomance gain form 2.4 is gigantic. i get faster everything, no longert do i have to wait for windows to load!!!

19. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

You're running an E6600 on air at a sustained 60% overclock?? You're either doing something very right or something very wrong...

I know the infinity is a good cooler, but noiser at higher speeds. I take it it's working overtime to keep this cool? What temps are you running at compared to stock speeds?

20. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Um, my guess is that he won't be running at those speeds on air without a large noise penalty. But I think he's upgraded to water from one of the other threads, could be wrong though.

To be honest, hitting 2.8Ghz should not incur a noise penalty with a conroe, even with a stock cooler. To put things in perspective, I'm running an E6600 @ 3.3GHz with a Scythe Ninja and a Sharkoon Silent Eagle @ 1000RPM, which is essentially close to impossible to hear from my desk. It's about 42*C idle and 60*C load (apart from dual Prime95 or Orthos, which hits 65*C). BTW DarkLord7854, I would suggest getting a Scythe product over a Zalman at the minute, simply because you get much better temps, at a cheaper price. Don't believe me? Go do a search for CPU group roundups. Here's one: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/core_2_cpu_cooler_roundup/