1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Heavy metal (IE minimal plastic not an AC/DC tribute) FEB 15th

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by JRSC2001GSR, 9 Feb 2007.

1. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

That side panel looks awesome! What method did you use to flare the edges of the holes out?

2. SlappKnutts

SlappKnutts What's a Dremel?

I like the idea of the bubble acrylic windows! Pretty slick trick!

Man don't yah just love the look of polished metal?

3. JRSC2001GSR

JRSC2001GSR What's a Dremel?

I punched the holes with a greenlee punch than put the piece in a hydrolic press with a flaring die to make the flares. The flaring die I used is just two aluminum pieces that have a little bit of clearance between each other with the curve of the flare machined into them. When you press the die the one piece slides into the other and bends the metal panel with it.

4. JRSC2001GSR

update coming when I get a minute :D . I removed all the extra wires from the PSU that I'm not going to be using. Which really helped clean up the wiring inside the case :rock: . I also hard wired a 10" uv light to the PSU inside the PSU, and bend my red UV acrylic that covers the PSU and lets you see inside. As I said I'll snap some more pics of the update and post later.

5. n0d4x

n0d4x What's a Dremel?

:D

we want pics! we want pics!

6. Beats

Beats What's a Dremel?

Yes more pics, more pics....Hey did you glue that lid on the PSU?

7. JRSC2001GSR

ok after popular demand, the pictures.

Heres the PSU exposed and you can see some of the cut wires here, I removed the wires that would have supplied power to additional HDD's I'm not going to run anything more than three so the others got nixxed.

[​IMG]

heres the bottom of the circuit board which I un-soldered the unused wires from, and later soldered in a 10" Super Street UV light (forgot to take pics of it) The CCL you see in the picture had extended wiring and because of the lose of voltage from the extra length didn't light up worth a sh*t so I hard wired the other one in I had.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres some of the left over wires

[​IMG]

I clamped my acrylic to the edge of a table with a peice of angle iron and heated the area across where I wanted to bend it and than bent it 90 degrees. I drilled and tapped 2 6-32 holes for the acrylic to be attached to the case so it doesn't move, it's held with 6-32 stainless button head screws.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and one final pic for the update is my stainless fan controller front to go with the theme. Looks better than original painted one I think, still need to mount the brackets on it to hold the controller also modding it a bit so I can hide an lot of wiring and clean up the looks of the inside.

[​IMG]

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Great work on the side panel! The windows look nice and fresh and I also like the brushed/sanded/whatever finish. I did that on one case some years ago, but it did't turn out as nicely..

9. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Looking really good, I like the black paint effect and all the metal stuff.

10. Beats

Beats What's a Dremel?

Nice work "Roberto", the PSU cover looks pretty slick for pink...er just kidding..no really this is coming along great I wish all you guys could see the rig in real life, I bet the front is going to be killer when its done. Where is the Acura logo going to go?

11. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

I like this clean look. Great job! :thumb:

12. JRSC2001GSR

another teaser post. I finally got the case mounted to the chassis. I just need to put a couple of rivnuts in the chassis now and the main case panels will be done. Starting to look like a computer again. I'll post pics tonight.

13. JRSC2001GSR

I made brackets to hold the top of the case and the side panel together, as well I sleeved the top fan cable while it was apart.

[​IMG]

The screws that hold the case together are 1/4-20 stainless button head screws, I used rivnuts for the screws to attach to so there is no need to try and put on or remove a loose nut since you couldn't get to them once everything is tight.

[​IMG]

My second LED light bar has been installed in the top rear section of the case.

[​IMG]

the case partially done now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

can't forget the obligitory night shot
    [​IMG]

14. Beats

Beats What's a Dremel?

Whats the front gonna look like, no sketchs yet? I know your rocking the Sketchup, where is the edge of the seat teaser?

15. karbonKid

karbonKid Minimodder

Very very nice.
    This has to be the best-looking Dell ever. Actually, that doesnt even do it justice - well done!