1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project: elegance

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by swan, 26 Jan 2007.

1. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

hey guys is been a while since ive posted anything. ive really changed alot personally, but i started to get the itch again. after a little while of trying to decide whether i wanted to start another mod i talked myself into it.

im really not looking to do anything ground breaking. ive spent alot of time on some other mods of mine, but ive decided to keep this one simple. i just want something that looks nice. i want it to be simple, but visually stimulating.

this is a pic or two of my previous project.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    it was a blast to do, but after having to look at it every day it just got kind of... well, hard to look at. ill be salvaging almost all of the hardware from this mod also.

this is the case ill be starting with. i didnt bother to get proper lighting or anything because i didnt really feel like spending alot of time photographing tonight.
    [​IMG]
    its a cool little case, but just a little cheaply made. i really like the look of it, and for the price i can sacrifice.

[​IMG]
    cuts look rough but i can assure you they are not that bad. it wasnt my original design, but every once in a while you have to call and audible and work with what you got. i still like the overall outcome. i tried to cover the exposed edges with marker, and it obviously didnt work. i like the color, so im going to come up with some other way to solve the problem.

[​IMG]
    bolts ill be using. i know they are a little overdone, but they look so nice. they also go with the theme of the case really well.

[​IMG]
    plex cut and drilled. ill be adding quite a few uv touches to this project.

[​IMG]
    mounted without flash

[​IMG]
    mounted with flash

[​IMG]
    little blury, but you get the idea. it took quite a while to get the edges sanded properly, but it was worth it.

i will also be water cooling this project, so i still have some cutting to do. ill probably have another post up sunday. as always, any constructive criticisms welcome, and God Bless!

2. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

Looks very good, I'll be watching this one.
    That side panel is just kickass :thumb: so keep going!

3. Dustin

Dustin What's a Dremel?

I love UV reactive plexi!Good luck!

4. eegg

eegg What's a Dremel?

what is that case called?

5. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

thanks guys, i think the case is made by ultra. i have no idea what its called, but i think its a knock off of another case.

i didnt get a whole lot done today, but it was something that was absolutely necessary.
    [​IMG]
    as you can see the hdd rack was made to be cooled by only one, eighty mm fan, and that just wasnt sufficient.

[​IMG]
    here is the case prepped for the eighty mm to one hundred twenty mm expansion.

[​IMG]
    expanded!

[​IMG]
    hdd rack expanded as well.

that is all for today. monday im going to the metal shop to pick up some sheet alu. ill be needing it for a few things as well as making the rad grill. not a whole lot of work today, but next update should have some more exciting progress.

6. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

alright fellas. i got a good bit done today. some of it needs to be cleaned up still, but its getting there. i just had a few ideas that i wanted to try out, and they turned out well.

first off i picked up some sheet aluminum. i need it for a few things like the rad grill, and some other doo daas. its a pity but im not going with any polished bits. all of it will be painted flat black.
    [​IMG]

next i made measurements and preparations for the rad placement. i had to remove the bar highlighted in red. the case didnt lose much of its rigidity, so that was a good thing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ready to cut.

[​IMG]
    ready for a fan. dont have a spare laying around, so i didnt get a shot of what it will look like. i cut the whole with a dremel, and it was remarkably round. i just had some of that trim laying around, and it looked well to me. it was a little stiff at first, but after i hit it with the heat gun it softened up. wont matter anyways, it will be covered with plex and a rad grill.

[​IMG]
    the bay covers. i wanted to do something creative under the door, so this is what i came up with.

[​IMG]
    ok... this is going to require a lot more filing and sanding, but i just wanted to get an idea. i think its going to turn out well when the aluminum is painted black.

[​IMG]
    im probably going to cut a logo into the middle of the aluminum, but im still in the idea stage right now. im very happy with the result besides the obvious lack of it being square, which i will take care of tomorrow.

7. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

havnt updated in a few days so here we go. ive been working on the rad grill. i racked my brain for a unique design, and i ended up just stealing the fit bikes logo. its ok because it went with the kind of squared off theme im going with.

[​IMG]
    here she is. its a really cool logo i think, and it kinda goes good because the arrows pointing inwards will be able to cover the center of the fan.

[​IMG]
    and my plex cut with flash.

[​IMG]
    without flash.

[​IMG]
    now this is where it will be mounted, but it will not be mounted flush like this. im still kicking around a few ideas, but i think i have my master plan already.

[​IMG]
    im very happy with the outcome. cant wait to get it painted
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and i sanded the bay cover. it still actually looks off, but thats because im too lazy to use a tripod.

[​IMG]
    im really tempted to polish this just to see how it might look. what do you guys think?

the curse to modding is the more you work the more ideas you get. i have a few new ones now. i plan on having the mod completely finished by the end of the month, but we will see. ive decided to do something with the front door as well. i will probably have something new up sunday.

8. calib3r

calib3r What's a Dremel?

I like the lighting.

9. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

Damn this looks nice, cant wait for the next update!

10. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

If I were you, I would try the effect of polishing that front piece first. If you don't like it, you can paint it, it would look in black as well. But I think you'll be amazed how it looks when polished.

You did a nice job on that rad grille as well.

11. n0d4x

n0d4x What's a Dremel?

haha damn thats hot!

keep up the good work

12. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

i agree with jokkos, if you put the time in to polishing it well, the parts look amazing.

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

That looks very nice.

Is there enough clearence for a fan on that rad ?? (i don't see one) and is there enough space for the air to dissipate out..

14. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

yeah i think a bit of polishing, or gun metal black that would be nice!

Kyle

15. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

Looks good
    What thickness of aluminium do you use? 1mm?

16. Albert_PL

Albert_PL What's a Dremel?

me too :)

uv plexi rlz :thumb:

keep modding :dremel:

17. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

thanks for the responses guys. i think im probably going to go with some flat black for all the metal bits just because it will be a little easier. i would love to go all out, but for time issues, i need to try and finish up soon. the water in my current loop needs replaced REALLY bad, and im trying to hold out until i install in the new case.

the rad isnt actually going to sit right on top of the drive like that. when the top of the case is installed it gives plenty of clearance. since the top wasnt on i just had it sitting there for the time being.

not a real quality update, but its something. i havnt been working on the project as much as i would like, but its ok. ive been riding my bike really well as of late, so that has kept me a little distracted from the project.

first i rand into a problem with the door, and the current setup i have for the drive cover, so i had to make some minor changes in design. step one was removing the vent looking stuff.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the replacement. not too special.

[​IMG]
    the accent. we're getting there!

[​IMG]
    testing the waters.

[​IMG]
    the fun part

[​IMG]
    eye candy!!

i have to get a tap, or fabricate one so i can attach the logo, but thats all i have for now. im pretty excited about the outcome, and id say when the door is finished its gonna put me at about sixty percent completion.

18. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

ok... im really pleased with the almost finished product on the door. im still working out how im going to do the power buttons, but besides that i need to finish making the drive bay covers and paint. i have to order a few things, and prepare the inside of the case. ill end up wiring up the leds next to last. its starting to come together.

[​IMG]
    so i didnt take alot of in progress photos, but i did tap the wholes for the logo to be attached to the door. i also cut the bolts so they would be flush with the back side of the door. finally i installed these led mount thing to light up the logo. ive never seen a lighting effect like this before, but i absolutely love it.

[​IMG]
    here she is in the light.

[​IMG]
    i love this photo.

19. SlappKnutts

SlappKnutts What's a Dremel?

While the blue lighting (appears) to be a bit off-center it is a fantastic effect!

20. karbonKid

karbonKid Minimodder

^^I think it's just the camera angle

Awesome project, Swan, nice and sleek. Subscribed...