1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista 64 and Tuners Cards not working.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Galls, 6 Feb 2007.

1. Galls

Galls What's a Dremel?

I am using an asus sli (939 slot) something or another mother board. And for some reason when I have a tuner card in a slot the machine will not boot past the "enter safe mode screen" I have tested with two seperate tuner cards, one of which I know works and both times the cards have cause the boot to fail.

I have never heard of a problem similar to this before, has anyone else heard of it or preferably heard of a solution.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I'm thinking that the tuner card is broken... Try the tuner card on an other computer.
    Or check if you have the latest BIOS version (it's easy to update is on ASUS mobo)

What is your tuner? what exact model is your motherboard? Do you have any USB\firewire device attached to the computer (did you try un-pluging them?)
    Did you update Windows Vista? Did you try Windows Vista 32-bit? What is your exact system specs?

Next time:
    Try to be more specific on your threads, else no one will answer it....

3. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Ooooh... get you :eeek:

And I'm thinking... you never read his post properly!

Galls stated [quite clearly - I thought?] that he'd also tried a known-working card, yet still has the same problem (system wouldn't boot) :idea:

Next time: You need to concentrate more on reading what's been said a bit more carefully, rather than on slating someone for what has/hasn't been said :rolleyes:

@ Galls: Can you confirm it's only with a tuner card fitted, that you have the problem, or is it the same with any PCI card fitted in there (i.e. a soundcard)?
    Did you try the known working card in a different PCI slot (assuming the mobo has more than one)? It's maybe a duff PCI slot?

4. Galls

Galls What's a Dremel?

I have been a little to busy over the past few days, I just posted this in thegreenbutton forums

Hardware: A8N-SLI Premium
    AMD 64x2 4400
    ATI x850
    4 gigs ram

Windows Vista Ultimate x64 OEM

The problem: When ever I boot up my pc, if a PC tuner is plugged into the PCI slot the computer will not boot into windows. It will restart in the boot process and go to the windows did not start properly screen. Then Rinse and Repeat.

I have deducted that the problem must lie with the motherboard due to several different tests. First I tried two different TV tuners, a Happauge 150 and my new ATI TV Wonder 650 both had the same result. When removed from the motherboard Vista would boot.

Then to make sure the cards were not faulty I placed both of them into an XP intel machine, both were recognized.

The third test that lead me to believe it was the motherboard was I installed my copy of XP 64 onto the system and once again it would not boot into the OS.

To make sure it was not a power issue on the motherboard, or a faulty PCI slot I installed a card on the slot where the soundcard is and it still would not go past the boot screen.

Has anyone heared of this problem on another machine? Tomorrow I am going to call up Asus and ATI and seeing if either of them have records or solutions to this problem.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2007
  5. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

That's a very odd problem. I would contact happage too

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

AFAIK the TV tuners for Vista 64 aren't very good. I haven't reinstalled my Aver one on Vista 32 yet (no need for it) but I will have a go over the weekend if I have the time.

7. Galls

Galls What's a Dremel?

Alright after a few hours on tech support lines, and companies throwing the load on one another I discovered it is in fact the PCI standards.

Apparently the ATI is made to run on PCI v3.0 (5V I believe) while A8N-SLI board runs up to PCI v2.3

So thats the deal. Since 939 is all but phased out I am going to hold on to the card and wait until my next update cycle. Change motherboard, graphics card (Dx10) and probably intel core 2 duo.

Intel core 2 duo is windows vista 64 bit capable right?

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

9. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

I contacted the company who makes my tv card (comproUSA) and they dont know when there going to get vista64bit drivers :(

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Does surprise me in the least. Considering how bad TV card drivers are for 32bit XP even I doubt you'll even get Vista drivers for many cards, let alone 64bit.