1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scan.co.uk Vs Overclockers.co.uk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mother-Goose, 14 Feb 2007.

?

Which do you prefer (give reasons)

1. Scan.co.uk

70.0%
  2. Overclockers.co.uk

30.0%
  1. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I've just been browsing around looking at new hardware and I thought I'd do a comparison between scan and ocuk, with scan I saved just over £200, which is great, but a couple of things were out of stock.

I just wondered who you guys rated more highly and the benifits of one over the other.

Hope you lot think this is a worth while poll.

2. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I will vote Scan, because I have heard bad things about OCUK, like on Reseller Ratings : http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Overclockers_co_uk

As you can see, there are loads of people with positive experiances, they are just invisible lol. But for actually shopping at, Overclockers is definately better designed.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Basically the posts will boil down to:

Half the people will moan about OCUKs Customer Service (which has gotten a lot better since I last ordered from them 3 years ago)

The other half will moan about Scan current state of play, they have just got a new warehouse and are sorting stock between them which is why a lot of stuff is Out of stock.

4. rswami92

rswami92 What's a Dremel?

scan purely because of rather cheaper prices

5. Dustin

Dustin What's a Dremel?

Scan only has Corsair memory,which gives us no choice.But cheaper than ocuk definately.

6. Mother-Goose

I didn't know that doug, there is promise of change then :)

7. Springs

Springs Boing boing

although i havent used scan yet... i have used OC.co.uk and i havent had a problem... ive brought 2x500gb HDD and a 7900GTO off them all turned up fine

i tend to use ebuyer mostly.. only others when they dont have what i want...

8. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Tend to chop and change between the pair. Some stuff is cheaper/stocked by one and not the other. Scan's RMA process seem's pretty decent though, have head bad things about both companies on that front however.
    OCUK's prices _tend_ to be a little higher than elsewhere though.

9. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Scan because they have never let me down

Oh and I get Free delivery

10. section8

section8 What's a Dremel?

contrary to above posts, I think Scan's website is better laid out! OCUK's layout is very linear personally where as Scan's is much more accessible... Scan's delivery and lead times are good tho, although i havent yet had the impact of moving warehouses!

Scott B

Scan gets my poll vote

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'd never order anything from ocuk, but its only 45 mins down the road so I occasionally pop there for a big purchase (instant gratification for the win)

If I was ordering something, I'd always take scan out of the two, but would usually use ebuyer for smaller things and newegg for big purchases.

12. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Newegg? How?

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

My parents are in the states, so I either get them to send it over or pick it up when I'm visiting

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Scan is cheaper, and delivery is also quick and well packaged.

however, OCUK have a better choice for RAM

15. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

Scan for me, agreed on the RAM, but really, given any choice i'd still probably plump for corsair =P

16. Mother-Goose

hdd selection seemed a bit lacking as well

@section 8 - the scan website has some of the most appauling usability of any e-comms site I have used. OCUK is alot easier to navigate around

BUT the rewards of scans significant and worth sticking with the site for. The £200 saving is significant when looking at a 3k system, it means moooore toys :D

p.s - on the scan website they have 2 versions of the hitachi deskstar 500gb, one is an enterprise version (or something like that) which is cheaper but the specs are the same, any major diff?

back on topic, im suprised how many of you use ebuyer, the website keeps getting worse and worse, and doesn't seem to have such a good selection!?

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

ebuyer/dabs/kikatek for me, in that order. EBuyer tend to muck about with invoicing and credits a bit though, so the papertrail goes a bit weird sometimes. Dabs is quick delivery and Kikatek I've found are pretty good if what you're after can't be found on the first two.

I think I've only used Scan once in the last couple of years, but I wouldn't order from ocuk at all. There's too much stigma with the company being terrible to deal with.

18. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

I have never used OCUK, and I have only ever used Scan once. The thing I bought from Scan happened to be broken when I received it so I sent them an e-mail. I got no reply from them so I phoned them to find out they had been short staffed and someone they had called in had mis-placed my e-mail. They were however very helpful and made no fusses over returns, I didn't bother with a replacement. So I would vote Scan due to what seemed like excellent customer service once you get through to the right person.

19. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

i used to be a ardent scan fan, they usually have some of the best prices on the web and great offers. i have used them alot.
    but recently i have had nothing but hassle and delays in order progress and shipping.
    i think scan has got to big for its capabilites. and therefore recomenr OCUK never had any issues from them and have also used them quite a bit especially recently.

20. kingdavies

kingdavies Minimodder

I would have to say scan as they usually have a much bigger stock and is in driving distance, however OCUK has some good prices like when I bought my graphics card OCUK was £80 cheaper than scan