1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics ATI Fire GL1 9700 (upgrade?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tkdwarrior, 13 Feb 2007.

1. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

Hey guys. I've got plain fed up using a FX5200 for doing my CAD work for uni (Mech. Engineering) and dont have the cash to upgrade my whole setup as yet. Looking on ebay, i've found a cheap ATI Fire GL1 9700 128MB AGP 8x card. I'm quite happy to upgrade this, however i dont want to end up with something that i really shouldn't have bothered getting.

What i would like to know is, (firstly) are there any issues running the Fire GL1 cards with an ASUS mobo (P4S800) and secondly, will this card be sufficient for my needs (some general cad work and small rendering tasks).

Cheers guys, any help is appreciated.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2007
  2. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

Hiya...
    Not exactly sure what card you're referring to... Got any links?
    If it's an ATI 9700-based FireGL card, like the TX1/2, then it should be a fair upgrade from an FX5200.. I presume it's pretty cheap yeah?
    A friend is able to run hardware-accelerated Maya viewports great @ 1280x1024 on his FireGL 8800, which was the previous generation card.
    You would have no probs with your motherboard..

The only other card I can think of which would be faster for you would be a Geforce 6 based Quadro, presuming they even exist?

3. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Go for it. :)

Tags: