1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is there enough power in this psu to run my (soon to be) new system?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by itsjustacompaq, 22 Feb 2007.

1. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

i am getting a new rig for my birthday (early march) and i have pretty much everything lined up as far as compatability and performance goes, aside from the PSU. i plan on getting the HIPER HPR-4K530, a 530w power supply, which seems like a very good one. here is my rig, please tell me if it has enough power for it:

ASUS P5NSLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI Intel Edition ATX Intel Motherboard

ASUS EN7600GS SILENT/HTD/512M GeForce 7600GS 512MB GDDR2 PCI Express

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6300

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-5400c4 - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

ASUS 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write and LightScribe Silver E-IDE (ATAPI) Model DRW-1612BL-SLV - Retail

5x Rosewill RFA120L-W 120mm 4 White LEDs LED Case Fan - Retail

CORSAIR CMXAF1 Fans - Retail

it seems like a pretty mild setup as far as power usage goes, and i will not be overclocking. i have a pretty unique cooling solution, so i am intent on getting the 5 fans. all of this is coming from newegg.
    also, i believe i have maximized performance with reputable companies for the price i was shooting for, but if there is some component that you know of that would be better suited to my setup for about the same price, lmk. this is not a gaming rig, just something to get me through college and run MATLAB and unigraphics NX 4.0.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2007
  2. trig

trig god's little mistake

more than enough power. but although hiper is not a horrible psu, you might take a look at these two...better quality, efficiency, and a cpl more 12v rails for future upgrades...at least, until bbq comes along and gives better ideas...these are based on keeping around your price range and also being modular...if modular isnt important, this would be your best choice at that price range...and yes, it would still have enough power...

3. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

The hiper's fine.

Might wanna look into Corsair HX 520, or Sunbeam Nuuo series, or Seasonic S12's.

4. trig

HA!! beat you!!

5. itsjustacompaq

i am going to go ahead and get the hiper psu. it is modular and has that bling factor im leaning towards (those connectors=pure sex). i forgot to tell you that i eventually want to go SLI, maybe this summer, and the hiper has SLI support.
    does everything else look good?

6. trig

id go with the e4300, simply because you have no use for an e6300 and it will save you some dough...and if you ever do want to overclock, the 4300 will clock better than the 6300 with that memory...your vid card leaves something to be desired but its not a bad choice if that is your budget...but i can think of a few in that range that i would rather have...take a look at these. i included your choice in it so you can compare. another good reason for the e4300 cpu would be so you can spend the $10 or so on a slightly better card. I personally recommend the far 2 on the right...20 pipes vs the asus 12, plus gddr3 vs gddr2 on the asus, if you can afford the extra money out of pocket until the rebate, thats the way to go...if you are looking for silence, the x1650 pro has it, plus the better speeds and such and 512 mb of ram...but again, if you are not gaming, 256 is fine...good luck, let us know how it goes

7. itsjustacompaq

i chose the asus card because i know that asus is a very good manufacturer, several people in the comp-e/comp-sci department here will only use them for mobo's etc. so i figured that one was a good choice. i also wanted to stick with nvidia for the graphics, everyone i have talkied to here has one, and they really like them. the XFX is also a very good card, but i dont have the 180 to pay for it. as far as cooling goes, i will have 2 120's blowing on it from the bottom of the case, one blowing in from the front, one blowing out the back, and 2 more blowing out the top, so airflow shouldnt be an issue :D

i dont plan on overclocking, and even if i do it wont be by much, but even still, i switched to the allendale from the conroe, thanks for the suggestion.

8. trig

no problem...you cant go wrong with asus, but many other brands are fine...evga and bfg tech are two of the best when it comes to graphics cards as far as product and warranty/service go...main thing is, if you can find gddr3 and 20 pipes for the price range you are looking for, grab it if its not a no name with bad warranty specs/ratings

9. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

I know one of the reasons I got a PC Power and Cooling drive was becasue it sported dual SLI connectors. It also left room for powering up more drives by choosing the 1 KW model. They do have one that is closer to what you are looking for. They have a 5 year warranty.

PCPC 510 SLI

10. itsjustacompaq

i just ordered everything in the first list except for the processor. i went with the allenale rather than conroe. $20+ for .06 ghz didnt make much sense when i went back to look at it. i cant wait to see everything in the Coolermaster Centurion case (linky) with my lovely little corsair Ram cooler peeking out of the window that will be cut out of the side panel!

11. sackingz123

sackingz123 What's a Dremel?

well lookahere....its a fellow cb7tuner. :)

nice set up.

good luck on the build :thumb:

12. itsjustacompaq

i am torn between modding the case before i install everything. on one hand, it would make it a lot easier, but on the other hand i dont get to play with my new toys for a few days.

13. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

run your stuff caseless during the modding.

14. itsjustacompaq

very good idea, thats pretty much what im doing with my older setup.