1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BF2 + 8800GTS = Lag

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by calib3r, 20 Feb 2007.

1. calib3r

calib3r What's a Dremel?

2. MixWizard

MixWizard Minimodder

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What's the setup of the rest of your rig? If it's that P4 setup, that's what's causing the bottleneck giving you low FPS, not the 8800.

4. calib3r

calib3r What's a Dremel?

As I said it's my projekt¯leetnes computer..

5. Springs

Springs Boing boing

is this online or singleplayer? if its online could be your connection..

6. calib3r

calib3r What's a Dremel?

What does my internet connection have to do with frame rates? I highly doubt it's my connection.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

what power supply you got in there. And what mobo you got? As you are running a P4 EE then your board may have a 8x PCI-E slot, which in half the bandwidth.

Not sure if that is the case in hand, but at this time in the morning im still pouring coffee in me to kick start myself! lol

8. Krikkit

Right, if you'd posted that, it would've been a touch easier from the off.

You shouldn't get any major lag problems with that setup, and you've got, at minimum, an 8x PCI-e slot, which is more than enough for any 8800 setup atm, so that's not the problem. What mobo do you have? Latest BIOS revision?

What card did you have previously? Did you properly uninstall the drivers (if they were AMD-ATi)?

What do other games do? I assume BF2142's patched up properly. Try looking on EA.com's help section for an answer.

[edit]Looking at the review, they didn't say what they were using to perform the tests, but I think it's a safe bet that it's something like an X6800 - a chip which is a lot faster than yours.

On max. settings, I'd probably expect your system to be doing something similar to what it's doing now.

The real test is this - crank up the AA, if you get a big frame-rate drop, you've probably got a real problem, if it's not much of a rate-drop, you're just CPU limited I would think. [/edit]

Last edited: 21 Feb 2007
  9. calib3r

calib3r What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 23 Feb 2007
  10. Krikkit

Well that's probably part of the problem - I'm sure throttling kicked in before you got to 90'C, so that won't have helped.

The 3dMark Score page is 404 I'm afraid, did you truncate the url? Do a superpi 1M run, so we can compare that P4's speed to other CPU's.

11. keith_j_snyder2

keith_j_snyder2 What's a Dremel?

Dude i m sure this is the driver confliction.Try old & new drivers & see for the problem.And try to play it offline once if u r playing online.If this is not the problem then use the card on a different rig.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2007
  12. calib3r

calib3r What's a Dremel?

I notice my CPU temps were extremely high (90c) so i put some thermal paste on it and got it to 60c and now im getting 80fps but i know my system can do much better than that. i have newest bios on my asus p5n-e. i have a 550watt ultra x-connect 2 as i can remember. and i have tried older drivers but still no luck.

my 3dmark06 scores: LINK FIXED

Last edited: 23 Feb 2007
  13. Krikkit

That 3d'06 link is still 404 here, just screenshot it. Download the Intel Thermal Analysis tool, then run a superpi 1M so we can compare the speed of your CPU.

In all honesty I think 80FPS is a pretty good speed for what you have. The fastest P4 lags well behind even the A64's, nevermind the C2D's, and that's OC'd to 4.4GHz, 1200MHz faster than your chip. 8800GTS or not, on max settings you'll start to get CPU limited.

As I've asked before, please try cranking up the AA in-game to see if you get a big FPS drop.

If you just actually try some of our solutions you might find it fixes it. :rolleyes:

14. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

I've gotta say, I agree with Krikkit wholeheartedly.

With that setup (not to mention the heat :jawdrop: ) you are bound to be CPU limited imo. Most benchies use either X6800 or lower Conroes that are heavily overclocked. Try the AA set at 16X and see what effect it has. As Krikkit says, it's a simple way of determining whether or not you are CPU bound. 1M Super-pi run would definitely help.

For what it's worth on my rig (see sig) My frames per second (in BF2 & BF2142) never fall below 60FPS @ 1680x1050 (I run with vsync enabled) with 16xAF and 8QxAA (transparency supersampling).

The simple tests Krikkit has proposed will quickly answer the question of whether your gpu is faulty (ie adding AA causes further, heavy decline in fps) or the more likely scenario - the rest of your rig can't keep up with it (ie adding AA has a negligible effect on fps).

Bear in mind that whilst overclocked to FX62 speeds, even my poor little opty can't begin to keep up with the top end Conroes in the performance stakes. I'm sure an upgrade to an E6600 and some overclocking, could unleash even more power. Ultimately, with the 8800s most of us are cpu bound to a degree.

15. Masterchief

Masterchief Banned

maybe its bottleneck

16. calib3r

calib3r What's a Dremel?

The link is fixed.