1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External Hardrive - Run movies/Music directly?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MiNiMaL_FuSS, 21 Feb 2007.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Hey, need some more Hardrive space mostly for music/movies.
    I've got a shuttle so an extra internal HD isn't really an option.

I'm planning on buying a large external USB2 hardrive, however I'm wondering if i''ll have any problems running music/movies directly from an external drive...such as slow down in perfromance, choppy playback etc??? or will there be little differene between playback from an internal or external drive?

Cheers!!

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

TBH I doubt you'll notice the difference, it's around 60MBps IIRC, plenty fast :thumb:

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

USB is around 30MB/s
    Firewire is 35MB/s
    eSATA = more or less harddisks actual speed.

A decent box or all-in-one unit is better than a cheap ass one.

4. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Thanks very much mate exactly what I was looking for...other opinions welcome.

----------------------
    Here's a couple of the drives I'm considering, if anybody has any better deals I'd love to hear them:

THIS Looks pretty good to me, can't find a review though and dont know if its fanless or not (although it looks it).

MYBOOK - is well known and has alot of good reveiws, may just shell out the extra £4 if nobody knows abotu the above unit.

5. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

good prices, look at the seagates as well though :)

6. MiNiMaL_FuSS

aanyone else have anything to add? or run movies/msuic off an external drive? or own a mybook?

7. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

I've run several movies (4.7GB DVD rips) off my Samsung 400GB/Icy Box across USB2 without a problem.

8. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Have a look-see at this Media Player HDD Enclosure (with RC) from Maplin (code A50FW. £40)...

[​IMG]

9. Neo2Neo

Neo2Neo What's a Dremel?

How about some NAS, you can pack a few extra harddrives in at a later date if you want, use an old PIII or AMD equal, prob pick one up for about the same as an enclosure though not as portable Check this out FreeNAS

10. gmail

gmail What's a Dremel?

running movies is not a problem....i used to use this small notebook external hardrive with usb 1.1 and watching a dvdrip with it is smooth as hell

11. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Yup, have no issues running movies/video's etc off USB 2 Icyboxes, USB 1.1 laptop hdd based caddies and off a NAS (transfer speed is much less than that of a USB hdd).

12. Oooo

Oooo What's a Dremel?

Lacie 250 Gb USB 2.0.

Running music, movies and even WC3 flawless. Maby even faster then the internal 5400 rpm drive.

13. Hazardous

We could go on at this forever and a day, but until we get a reply from the OP... it's pretty pointless really, since we don't know which of the solutions already suggested are what he's l[ideally] ooking for :idea:

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We've reviewed Seagate external drives here. We've got to get some Mybooks in at some point, it's just a matter of finding the time to talk to WD. I want a Mybook Pro with Firewire 800, or Seagate eSATA 500GB we reviewed here :rock:

We've got an Icybox and I own a metal gear box, which are essentially the same thing and both are a POS.

15. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Cheers guys, all very helpful - seems that i wont have any issues running media from an extrnal usb2 drive.

On a tight budget so the Mybook looks a fairly sound option for a good price.

Cheers!

16. SanDmaN

SanDmaN Minimodder

Do you think it would work if I bought a mybook and removed the hdd and put that internally into my pc then replaced a smaller drive into the mybook case?

17. Hazardous

As long as you copy any software which might be on the original HDD (it might have multi-media applications on it?), to the new HDD, I don't foresee a problem doing that?