1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Copper tubing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Makaijin, 17 Aug 2002.

1. Makaijin

Makaijin What's a Dremel?

Ok,
    I plan to building a new watercooling system.
    I plan on using TECs this time around.
    But this time, I plan on mainly using copper tubing, and maybe use tygon on the ends to allow more freedom.
    Does anyone know where i can get more information as to working with copper tubing, like bending, soldering and stuff?

2. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

3. Makaijin

Well, I've read the procooling article, but it's not really deep enough as it only talks about how he cut some pipes and fit it in his pump?
    I would like a more in depth guide as to how to work with the stuff, like how do those plumbers bend the pipes with his knees? and how to solder joints together as well.

4. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

If you want to bend copper pipe without deforming it, you should use a proper pipe-bending insert (looks like a tightly coiled, long spring)
    See here
    [​IMG]

In fact, check this article for a complete how to.

And here's how to solder. :)

Good old Google. ;)

5. Makaijin

Thanks for the links Pug.

Now does anyone have a clue as to what size tubes to use?
    I was thinking of using maybe 3/4" as the copper pipes will be for the main channel, and with the ends fitted with barbs so i can run short lengths to the waterblocks.
    I will be cooling the CPU and the GPU, so somewhere on the line there will be T joints so to allow for more than 1 input/output on the lines.

Another question, would it be ideal to run the CPU on pelt but straight water on the graphics card on the same loop?
    They will be split off of course, because i'm still deciding if i should pelt the GPU as well or not. I want to keep it on 1 loop so it doesn't complicate things too much.

6. Risky

Risky Modder

The "Integral solder type" are quite handy if you don't enjoy this sort of work. In plumbing thay would be used where the joing is in a tricky spot. I wonder if you could get blocks with screw fittings to attacch properly to the pipe and get rif of the barbs.

Would also look damm cool, but remeber the brasso for polishing :D

Tags: