1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Core 2 Duo e6600 - grey market?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jediknight0, 28 Feb 2007.

1. jediknight0

jediknight0 What's a Dremel?

I just bought an OEM e6600 and I'm a little surprised by what I got. Basically, the chip has markings I wouldn't expect. I can't easily test it unless I:

*) wait for the missing screws for my CPU waterblock to arrive from overseas (long story)

*) disassemble the waterblock mounting from the motherboard to attach the CPU and a temporary heatsink

Both of which will take some time, not to mention trying to scrounge up a temporary video card as well.

So, does this sound right for an OEM chip?

Intel Confidential
    QLLR ES MALAY
    i (m) (c) '05 80557PH0564M
    L61 0A730

[​IMG]

2. bigr5026

bigr5026 What's a Dremel?

Thats a ES.

HOLY ****, THAT CHIP IS WORTH MONEY>

3. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Call intel. ES chips are NOT ALLOWED to be sold. PERIOD. It's part of the agreement when people get them, #1 is like, YOU WILL NOT RESELL THIS CHIP

So, someone DID sell it. They're gonna be in a lot of ****, along with the retailer who sold it to you. Call intel, tell them everything they know. They'll want the chip back, so you need to send it back to them, and chances are, they will send you a retail box E6600.

Bigr, ES' aren't worth a lot of money. The early revisions, were just that: They had problems, bugs to work out. Add to that, no warrenty from intel, and it's not a good idea.

4. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I'm with BBQ on this. It's an engineering sample - an experimental chip. A beta, if you like. I would expect it to perform poorly, at least compared to the current retail samples, and I'm sure Intel would like to get the chip back (or at least out of public hands).

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Intel Engineering Samples are commonly sold, I wouldn't worry about it if the performance is ok. It may also have an unlocked multiplier, which is always good. :)

6. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Aren't ES's generally made from higher grade silicon?

Anywho, send it back, intel will be pleased with you :)

7. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Dont call Intel. They are commonly sold on.

They usually clock very well and have unlocked multipliers making it even easier to overclock.

8. Mother-Goose

Personally I'd like to be covered with the warranty, that was what i was mainly getting at. Obviously it is a split of opinions here, not in a bad way though

9. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Ahh .. No warranty with these. But you might be able to sell this for more than you bought it for, allowing you to buy a brand new processor.

10. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

ES' are not made from higher grade silicon. They are not to be resold. http://www.intel.com/netcomms/prerelease_terms.htm
    Breach in contract, anyone? When the person on the recieving end of the ES chip recieves it, they need to sign the contract. The contract explicitly says that resale is not allowed. Doing so would be against the agreement.

There is no warranty.

Intel will reward you for that.

11. Mother-Goose

Sorry about the higher grade silicon bbq, i thought I had read that somewhere.

12. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Depending on where you try and sell the chip on you'll have issues. Basically if you post pics of the chip on ebay your auction will be pulled. You won't (unless the chip clocks well) make a profit from it in all likelihood, however the chip shouldn't be sold on anyway, so ;)

Regards telling Intel, chances are they'll take the chip off your hands and you won't get anything back in return. Since the chip was given out free anyway, why should they?

Clocks wise, bit hit and miss with the ES's really. Generally speaking you the newer retail CPU's clock better than the ES's. Multi wise, you're locked at default and below only, same as the retail chips.

Can't really comment here on personal experiences with ES chips, probably isn't really the place (being a public forum and all :p). All I can say is, it's certainly worth knowing before you buy whether you're getting an ES chip or not. In most applications however, it doesn't matter whether the chip is ES or not.

<edit> Also, remove the picture in your post mate :) </edit>

13. jediknight0

So I'm really curious... on this board and many others I'm getting the comment to remove my pics. Why?

I ordered an OEM chip, got an ES from a dishonest retailer, why should I fear having pics up in a public place?

I'll try contacting Intel tomorrow. Heck, the Intel HQ is litterally across the street from where I work (not even 1 block away - I can see the entrace to the building from my window).

14. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Basically you run a high risk of loosing the chip. Best you can hope for is a refund from the retailer, however this is unlikely. If it was advertised as a retail chip and you got an ES then you've NOT got what you ordered. If this was brought from an e-tailer then you should push for money back. If this was a private sale, there's really not a lot you can do. If the person you got it off was the intended recipient of the chip then you may have some leverage. However if they brought it off someone else, then you're out of luck. The worst that'll happen from their POV is the person whom the chip was originally sent to won't get any more from Intel.

You may well be lucky if you explain the situation to Intel, however this really depends on who you speak to when you get there. They're under no obligation to give you anything. With the number of ES chips they send out, them getting one back won't mean jack to them.

<edit> Mods please delete if this isn't appropriate.
    Personally I'd keep the chip and remove the pics. You've got more to loose (ie the chip) by doing the "right thing" and going to intel than you have by keeping quiet and just getting on with things.
    Your call though.
    </edit>

Last edited: 28 Feb 2007
  15. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

How about calling Intel anonymously and asking what they would do if you brought it in?
    Then if they'll give you a replacement for your honestly, then sweet.
    Maybe push for a E6800? :D

Then, regardless of what Intel do, call the retailer and say that Intel took the CPU off you with no replacement and that you'd like to get your money back.
    Feel free to mention things like 'trading standards' etc to get your way.

Worst case scenario, you're stuck with the ES chip.
    Best case, you get a E6800 from Intel for your honesty and your money back from the supplier. :D

16. jediknight0

I called Intel. They admit ES chips are not to be resold, but won't give me a new chip. They also didn't ask for any of the info about the retailer - I had to force the info on them.

I just wish I had a contact over there. I litterally work across the street from Intel HQ and could walk the chip into thier lobby.

I've contacted the place that sold me the chip and was told to email thier returns dept., but it sounds like they want me to pay shipping back to them. Not a huge deal, but on principle alone I don't want to do that.

If anyone has a friendly contact at Intel, please PM/email me. Thanks.

17. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

May i ask why you want a contact with Intel?
    Your best bet is to push for a refund from the e-tailer and buy a retail chip from elsewhere.

18. jediknight0

Ideally I want to deal with someone who can give me a new chip (OEM or retail) and is reputable (like Intel) rather than deal with someone dishonest like this retailer obviously is.

The retailer is already starting to give me the whole "you pay for shipping back to us" crap - for a mistake they made!

I want to get the product I asked for AND get this retailer slapped - only Intel can do both.

19. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Speak to the e-tailer. You might be able to use the fact you were sold an ES chip as a bargaining tool. (ie that its illegal)
    Chances of you getting a replacement new retail boxed chip from Intel is slim. Why should they?

Any chance you can PM me a link to the site please? Did you check em out before buying? Was the chip cheaper than elsewhere (hence you shopped with them?)

20. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Mention that you spoke with Intel, they wanted their details but you said you were unsure.
    Tell them that unless a nice shiney new (retail) CPU arrive at your door asap, you'll tell Intel who sold you the chip. :D