1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows CnC 3 demo coming soon.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Neogumbercules, 17 Feb 2007.

1. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

You're not using a download manager (DM) then :eeek: :confused:

There are a few free DM's available, but one of the better ones (I actually paid for it a while back, but it became free towards the end of last year!), is FlashGet :thumb:

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I can never be assed with download managers - it's very rare that I download a big file like this straight from a http/ftp mirror, it usually gets Bit-Torrented.

The GUI didn't disappear for me, which is the only thing I can think (retrospectively) that's wrong with it. I want the sliding thing that the interface has done since C&C1 on the PC/PSX. :p

3. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Did you click the golden arrow button? That one hides the building options

I find, after playing SupCom, that I can't zoom out enough for my comfort :waah:
    Though I like how they've made a nice improvement on the building and how you can tell each barrack, war factory, builder thing (d'oh forgot the name) to build different things at the same time . I found that a nice touch, I always hated having multiple building builder thingies (I keep wanting to call them SCVs.. It's early in the morning *sigh*) but only being able to make 1 building at a time.

Going to play skirmish after my exams tomorow, the Prologue was pretty cool :D
    And they brought back the cheesy cutscenes :hehe:

4. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Only criticism I have is it seems like it's going to be more arcadey than some of the others perhaps, like the ion cannonc is sooooooooo powerful, you'll need to spread out quite quickly, its a more fluid and fast moving game, vehicles move quicker etc. etc. but the main drawback of this is that you wont get the same kind of build up like in Tibsun, where you had firestorm defences and hundreds of towers, and nod had about a million of those artillery annoying things, where it was almost a stalemate but a good well thought out attack could break a hole in the line and you could get through.

On this, maybe it was just the demo, the skirmish was way too easy, just rush rush rush. In fact, next I'm going to try just spending my initial cash on some barracks and pumping out infantry and see if I can win with them. Won't be surprised!

Last edited: 27 Feb 2007
  5. DarkLord7854

I think they pruposefully over-powered the ion cannon jsut for the sake of the demo to make people go "OMGSWEET!!!*wets pants*"
    Because if you notice, when you click ion cannon, it shows a much smaller designated area then the actual area affected, so I'm guessing they just boosted the amount of damage it does.

Though I must say that EA made a really fast paced game.

I want to see how the Alien race plays out. It looks like you'll have to make them hover over tiberium fields or something. Maybe like in 2160 if anyone has played that, where the alien race clones itself, but needs to hover over resources to gather them and fill up a meter, which once full, enables you to make a copy of the unit or morph it into something else

6. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Have you noticed harvesters seem to be much faster at collecting resources? I remember a lot of time in the good old days, most of the time was spent waiting for a building to be finished. Then not having enough powerstations.

I didn't start to run out of money until I was building mammoths back to back at two war factories whilst building the ion cannon as well.

7. DarkLord7854

Yea, everything has been boosted

8. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

lol exactly! The demo was definately cool though. I like the new(ish) UI and finally squad control instead of individual units. Looking forward to this :)

Also nice to see Jennifer Morrison and Grace Park in the game... :D

9. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

THEY STILL HAVE NOT FIXED HARVESTER QUEUING

grar. I want 3 harvesters per refinery, damnit. :duh:

but other than that, pretty nifty. they upgraded the ion cannon quite a bit. makes it less of an annoyance weapon and more of a "Oh jesus, there goes my base" weapon.

10. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

I wouldn't call it a drawback mate. Towers and overpowered superweapons are turtle-friendly and boring to play against... that's why however much I loved the singleplayer of the old CnC, especially RA and RA2, I *only* play generals online these days, the old CnC's multiplayer wasn't quite fast enough to be enjoyable.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2007
  11. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Sounds like people are enjoying it :D, My download should finish in around 6hours 30mins

Sam

12. Mafney

Mafney What's a Dremel?

I found the demo pretty good, although it was a little fast for my liking in Skirmish mode. Prefer a steady build up before attacking instead of just rushing everything out as soon as its been built.

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

There's a huge bug for me (running Vista Business but I suspect it'll hit everyone) I normally have my windows taskbar at the top of the screen but this causes my mouse to be offset to my display. So when I want to click on a unit I have to be the taskbar height below it.

14. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I think doug, it is because you have your task bar at the top of your screen, not a vista thing at all, im running vista with the task bar in the normal place and all is fine with the game.
    As for the demo, its fantastic, its fasted paced as a Command and Conquer should be, the Cinematics are near enough cheesey enough to be a Command and Conquer, maybe, just maybe, EA have this one right.

Sam

15. DougEdey

The problem I have though is that it doesn't do it with any other game, even AOE2 which is as old as Windows itself. SO why is a new game like C&C3 doing it?

16. Springs

Springs Boing boing

i d/l this at work.. took it home and it was broken... tried re downloading it at home.. computer crashed in the middle of a supcom game and i lost it.. tried it again overnight.. woke up and it had timed out... so im giving it one more chance 2day..

17. DougEdey

Springs: Get Flashget quite simply the best ever.

18. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Got it off bittorrent.

I only did the tutorial campaign but it seems OK, GUI is a bit clunky in 800x600 but thats pretty mcuh all my PC is likely to be able to muster (check my pc specs, the game does still run smooth though!). Im gonna play somemoretonight but the jury is still out, so far nothing special! Might just wait for spore :)

19. Mosey

Mosey What's a Dremel?

Yeah, i was very impressed with the demo actually. with I think this game is set to be big, i certainly will be purchasing it on release.

20. Springs

Springs Boing boing

yer i was gonna try bit torrent but i can d/l it quicker at work so i did it there... im not fussed.. got it now..

Tags: