1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Opinions needed for first car.

Discussion in 'General' started by gar, 28 Feb 2007.

1. gar

gar Minimodder

Buying my first car, but am now confused with there being so many decent cars around today. I have a budget for £2,000 max.
    The car needs to be deisel cos I'm doing biggish miles, but I do want some power.
    Originally I was thinking of buying a 1.7td astra, but a guy I work with recommended a 2.0td Rover 200. What do you guys think? Is there anything else worth considering bearing in mind also that I don't want a big car or anything thats going to be impossible to insure? Thanks in advance!
    (nb: Will probably turn the turbo up)

2. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Firstly, TD's a first car will be alot to insure.

Secondly, the astra is more likely to be reliable, and there will be a hell of alot more spares around, especially as rover do not technically exist anymore.

Thirdly, I drive a Ka, I used to mince to and from surrey to coventry whilst at uni, fully loaded up, couldn't have asked for more, it is a great first car, gets about 30-35mpg and it has been bullet proof. touch wood. Also, its group 2.

3. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Yeah, the very fact your car has a turbo in it will increase your insurance premiums.

I'd get some insurance quotes for any cars you think about as that's likely to cost as much as the car initially.

I think you're likely to find that a small petrol car may not give you such good MPG but will not be too far off and with insurance costs, purchasing and MPG combined you may be better off in the long run.

Friend of mine used to have a Toyota Starlet 1.3 and it was excellent.
    Looked pretty swanky in racing green (or pretty close to) with white wheels. :)
    Excellent handling, nippy for a 1.3, cheap to run and insure, Toyota reliability.

4. daguuy

daguuy I hate lolcats

The car I've been looking at is a Volkswagon Rabbit. I'm not sure how powerful it is, but it's diesel and get 50 mpg.

5. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

306 Dturbo 1.9 and only group 5(with aircon, PS, nice sports seats and the best front drive chassis until the focus)

6. olv

olv he's so bright

Low power turbo diesels really arn't as expensive to insure as people are making out (mostly because they are painfully slow) and it shouldn't be a problem at your age. as piratetaco says the 306 dturbo is only group 5. If you are looking at the 306 then the citroen xsara is definately worth a look. they are practically the same car under the skin (same chassis, suspension, engines etc...) but you will get a newer, better spec'ed xsara for you money and a more modern/nicer interior imo. probably even squeeze in a 2.0HDI engine in for your budget which is a more refined engine then the slightly gruff 1.9td.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

2nded, they're a fantastic car for bugger-all and there's plenty of spares. Couple that with the fact that the engine will never break, and you're onto a winner. :thumb:

8. JesterQ

JesterQ What's a Dremel?

VW Golf .. excellent cars .. loads about and bits are cheap.

9. gar

gar Minimodder

There are allot of 306 1.9's about for sale on AT.co.uk, allot of them are modified. Is the 1.9 nippy? See I'd heard allot of good things about the Rover 2.0TD, and also that there should actually be plently of spares contrary to what I thought.
    I like the Golf, but am worried they may cost too much to insure.

For the 1.7 Astra is 1,495
    For the Rover it's 1,850

Seems really hard to find a 3 door in the Astra o here though.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll keep you posted on how I get on!

10. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

no but(and its a big but) its still fun to hoon if you can keep it between 50 and 80 in third and forth.

and the old XUD engine is best since it'll go forever so long as its serviced every 6000 miles

11. olv

olv he's so bright

The rover engine is EUGH, horrible. and £1,800 to insure!^%£"$£%"$£%^"^ wtf

12. gar

gar Minimodder

"olv The rover engine is EUGH, horrible. and £1,800 to insure!^%£"$£%"$£%^"^ wtf "

Well I know the petrol ones are notorius for having BAD problems. Why do you think the deisel may not be good? I know a guy who owns one and he says it's quite powerful with the turbo turned up and it's done many miles without problems. Yes, honesty is appreciated, but I need the reasons so I can make an informed decision because I would pay the insurance if I knew the car was good tbh.

13. Springs

Springs Boing boing

well i would 2nd a 306... should be getting a 306 dturbo soon... :D nice car... better than the 1.4 306 i currently have...

14. gar

gar Minimodder

Ok, I'm hearin this: 306. I don't understand though why they made the interior so bland when it would have actually been easier to make it look nice!

Look at pug's in auto trader now. Can't find a rover, or astra!

15. c.u.later

c.u.later What's a Dremel?

another recommendation here for a pug 306 1.9td, absolutely awesome first time cars, and I got a very low insurance quote on it when I tried too.
    very reliable, no major faults reported, even high milers are generally well looked after due to the short service gap (6000 miles? i think)

:thumb: for a 306

c.u.later

16. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

vauxhall cav 1.7td, can probably buy one and insure it for your £2k.

17. JesterQ

JesterQ What's a Dremel?

Having no experience of the 306 tdi can't comment but i had a 205 tdi and that was brilliant never gave me a moements trouble except that it went through tyres alot. But then that could have been my driving :D

The only down side is that parts can be expensive.

18. gar

gar Minimodder

Ok, well I can't ignore this advice even though I much prefer Vauxhall's (I like the isusu engine in the cav by the way)

What sort of milage is acceptable for the Peugeot 306 TD and what sort of miles could I get from one?

edit: Should I look for a particular year?

19. Springs

Springs Boing boing

getting to this sort of age (most these days are about 8 - 10 years+) you would be looking at 80K - 120/130K in miles... tho if looked after should be no reason why they cant go to 200K

i should be looking at a few at the weekend costing about £2500 but have about 80K on the clock.. so if you want a cheaper car no doubt it will have higher milage..

Last edited: 2 Mar 2007
  20. gar

gar Minimodder

I can't beeive this! I totally forgot that I have a theory test tomorrow morning!!! I haven't even studied for it yet!!!! It's at 9.30 am!!!

Anyone think it's worth bothering going to it!?! I'll loose my money if I don't go!

Tags: