1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Synaptic Touch pad

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Soulmage, 12 Jan 2006.

1. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

OK well i have this touch pad from a compaq laptop that i killed (long story)

Basically from what i have found out is that this can be interfaced with a PS/2 port.

Info here - http://www.synaptics.com/decaf/utilities/tp-intf2-4.PDF

How ever that document does not show my model which is a TM41PDG353-1.

I have figured out what most of the model number means from the pdf but my problem is this:

It does use a 6 pin interface and i was easily able to determin that pin 4 was ground. I could use some advice on how to trace down the other pins if possible. I will get pics of it up in about an hour (once my cam battery is charged :wallbash: ) but any advice in the meantime would be helpful.

2. elctroJunky

elctroJunky What's a Dremel?

Erm... take a multimeter and measure the signals that come from the laptop...
    well you killed the laptop, but i think (if you didn't just blow it up) the VCC an GND on the touch pad connector might still be active.
    Once you've found them you could try the other connections out with a computer (as these must be signal lines, and there's only a small chance you could damage anything by connecting the signal lines the wrong way).

If there's no reaction from the touchpad connector on the laptop anymore you can still go the hard way and trace back the lines to their origin on the mobo. That may give you an idea on how the touch pad has to be connected.

Any other method I can think of uses trial and error that might kill your touch pad.

3. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

Ok , sorry for taking so long but here are the pics

The cable connection blocks were temporarily removed so that i could see the traces better. The six pin connector is what would connect to PS/2.

[​IMG]

Bottom
    [​IMG]

electrojunky, heh the board is really fryed, and i tried tracing the motherboard but .. yeah, thats a serious rats nest and i get lost VERY easily :/

4. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

hrmm .. from 37 to 52 views and no ideas?

5. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

Never mind, finally got it to work .. and great might i add.

if any one was wondering (though i doubt it) pin6 = vcc, pin 5=data, pin4 = gnd, and ping 3 = clock . (though i honestly can't remember which was which between data and clock. if you try this and it doesn't work, just switch those two.)

6. ciccillover

ciccillover What's a Dremel?

I'd like to do the same with my touchpad (from a Presario 700). It has similar part number (lacks the final "-1"), but a different 4 pin connector.
    Pictures are no longer online, can you send a copy via e-mail? My address is just like my nickname, just add @libero.it.

Or any other kind of help or suggestion is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

P.s.: mobo no longer available

7. agent420

agent420 What's a Dremel?

Worst case, you should be able to follow the traces and determine vcc and ground. That would leave data & clock, giving you a 50% chance of working 1st time or simply reversing the two.

8. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Did something similar over here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=121291

Not all the touchpads use the same pinout, there is a pdf I linked to which has the pinouts for all the major synaptics touch pads. Glad you got yours to work. Still trying to figure out what exactly to do with mine.

9. agent420

agent420 What's a Dremel?

10. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I am also trying to do this with a touchpad from a Presario 700, so far I haven't found any data or even a part number, so I'm going to try and ID the 4 pins myself. I'll post any findings.

11. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

The +5v and the ground should be quite obvious even if the touchpad is not labled. I knew a dead give away for the +5v line was a resistor placed between it and the controller. The ground was also fairly obvious as it connected to the gold dots around the back of the touchpad. If didnt have the datasheet it would have taken me one more try to get the data lines. No harm can be had by switching the clock and data pins. If it doesnt work one way It should work the other.

That is to assume of course that your touchpad is ps/2 in nature. I would be willing to wager it is. Then again you never can tell with laptops these days.

12. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

It has a 4 wire ribbon cable coming out of it, so unless its a proprietary compaq stupid thing then its PS/2.

13. Chomiho

Chomiho What's a Dremel?

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to interface a Synaptics T1005, but I'm not sure which pins have which function.

[​IMG]

This video here would be helping if it wasn't a slightly different modell. Anyone's got an idea?

14. pankajsingh

pankajsingh What's a Dremel?

i am trying to interface synaptic touchpad tm41pum1311-2 with atmega644 microcontroller.I have the pinouts of the touchpad(1,2-clk 3,4-data 5,6-left switch 7,8-right switch 9,10-ground 11,12-+5v). I am not sure its working or not. when i connect give 5 volt input between +5v pin and clk-pin, i get 5 volt output at clk-pin and data-pin. Is this normal?