1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Hallway decorating

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Smilodon, 28 Feb 2007.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Hello all.

I need some ideas from you guys. I want to give my hallway a little face lift.

I know the description for the modding section says "If its got silicon and you can hack it up, stick it in here!". Well, i have a light-dimmer and i can saw a hole in the wall if i want to (although I don't want to...), so i guess it could go in here.

My initial idea was to just paint the room in a two-tone color (gray/dark gray). However, i want to do something a bit more exciting. I just don't know what.

The room is about 2x1,5 meters and have 5 doors, and a clothes-hanger-thing mounted on the wall. So as you can imagine, there isn't much wall space. The doors are white (i don't want to do anything with the doors). The floor is oak parquet.

So, does anyone have any ideas?

No idea is too crazy. (Craziness is the highway of inspiration, you know ;) )

2. Slim Slotloader

Slim Slotloader What's a Dremel?

2 x 1,5m - 5 doors= not much wall to decorate :)

a picture of the room, or a drawing, would help. I personally like the gray/darkgray combo, maby a little orange to spice it up.

One thing to think about: in a room with your layout you've only got one(?) clear surface to work on, the ceiling. I got tired with wood paneled/white roofs and painted a couple in my house a bit different: one spraypainted black/blue "space" theme, and one dark gray with silver "waves", turned out better than i thought :)

3. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Is there a light fixture in the ceiling? If so, (or not) you could make a really cool one.

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Painting the roof is a good idea. My artistic skills is crap at best, though. It needs to be something i could stencil or mask out.

There is a lamp in the roof, though, so any decor in the roof won't be that visible.

I was planning on some cool lighting, but that will be step two I think.

here are some pictures (i know they are crap, but the room is so small.):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

continue the blue dragon theme. find a picture of a dragon like the one on your door, but not exantly like it, and project it on the ceiling. trace that then paint it.

6. Slim Slotloader

Definately worth continuing the dragon-theme. I'd change the lighting to something a bit more dramatic, like:

[​IMG]

or maby flushmounted spotlights in the ceiling aimed at the doors

would require some electric work to be done though...

For the walls maby (fake)stone panelling to get a "dungeon" or "lair" feeling [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

would be good to do something about the white doors if you go this far, maby wood paneling in this style: [​IMG]

add a few blue leds at random places to continue the blue.

OK, now i'm getting a bit carried away(i like designing themed rooms :) )

7. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

ah! i love those stone panels. I was planning on real stone/slate on the walls, but decided against it since it's WAY to much work and money. I guess I'll have to look for some of those stone panels now, then.

I would like to put in some flush mounted spotlights, but the ceiling is massive concrete. (the hard type. I actually MELTED two concrete impact drill bits when i hung up that lamp)

An alternative would be to put in some light-roofing. (plaster, probably) Problem is that the roof would get pretty low.

8. Slim Slotloader

Well you could use either LEds or optical fiberto make a "starsky". You'd take, for example, a 6-10mm veneer board, drill holes for the LEDs/fibres, paint to desired color and affix to ceiling.(have to leave 1-2cm space) this would result in the ceiling 2-3cm lower, shouldn't be a problem?

On the stone, this is what i did with my TV-room:
    [​IMG]

That's real stone, took about an hour/metre to make. doing it like this any higher would require alot more work with the weight becoming an issue, now it's just mesh screwed to the wall/stone cemented on top/finished with white cement.

I combined that with the roof i told you about earlier:
    [​IMG]

9. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Nice theme on that room. And i just love the rope along the wall-floor join.

It seems like i'm stuck with just painting for the moment. I can't seem to find any of that stone imitation, and i'm a bit short on money for the moment.

So my current plan is painting the wall with a darker gray about 1-1,5 meters up the wall, and leaving the rest above the color it is today. In the join between the two colors i will either put on white or oak trim, or paint a thin, bright blue line (about 5mm wide) to match the light in the door.

10. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

You could get some nice gothic style runner carpets to accent the walls and cover up the middle of the hardwood...

11. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

I'd be tempted to do the ceiling darkgreen and put pcb tracks running roughly from the light switch to the blub. make a cardboard northbridge or something and add that in with some other stuff. dont know about the walls though, stones might make an interesting contrast to it though :)