1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News High-speed Vista installs via a USB key

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 1 Mar 2007.

1. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

LOL yeah that would do it :duh:

2. Springs

Springs Boing boing

cool.. shame xp wont do it... although mine didnt take that long to install in reality..

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

So it's crap then? :) Shouldn't it read something like 'improves'?

Oh and the use of 'off of' arrrrggh!! It's 'FROM'!

On what computers does Vista take an hour and a half to install? Mine took about half an hour, if that, including the few seconds it took to click a few buttons and type some info in.

A ten minute install (or less) sounds pretty darn good though :)

4. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I like how ubutu installs... you can still use the live cd while its installing to browse the web and get some work done :p

5. 1e8o

1e8o What's a Dremel?

I agree, I can put all of my software + XP itself in about an hour.

Programs such as * Office, Photoshop, Torrentprogram, all of the drivers and lots more

6. randosome

randosome Banned

windows xp install
    1. Insert CD and boot, use driver disc if required
    2. Go through the setup (enter, f8, choose drive) then format
    3. walk away, it formats the drive, copies over files, reboots and starts installing
    4. It stops when is asks you for some details, then again for networking, then leave it alone again and it will install

It takes like 30 mins to install XP (not including format) maybe a bit less and doesn't exactly require much user interaction, in fact you can automate that bit as well, and i assume if you make a bootable flash drive - then you can copy the CD onto that and do the same with XP ....

7. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

I've been using an automated xp installation disk I made since I did my 2nd install of xp about 5 years ago, tbh i've never seen it install slower than 40 mins, on my new box it takes about 20 mins.

8. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Vista is already insanly quick for me, and tbh, ive not actually witnessed it do a format, i deleted the partiton, created a new one and clicked install, woot, 15mins later its loading the desktop :D

Installing an OS from a flash Drive would be neat though, i do alot of installs at college, Windows, Novell and its all boring, and we bugger off for a coffee while it sits there (21%.........22%..........23%) etc, this would be so much better, get longer to mess about with the OS's and break them :D

Sam

9. otispunkmeyer

otispunkmeyer What's a Dremel?

my XP pro didnt take too long

bout 45 mins i think. that was with a XP SP2 streamlined disc (my original is only SP1)
    . its not the OS that takes the longest to install. its all the ******* updates after.

updating virus scanner, all drivers, windows up dates (some of which require a restart and then continue downloading more updates) then getting WMP up to ver 11, DX up to DX9.0c etc etc. the OS isnt the slow part at all.

still sub 10minutes is impressive.

hopefully we get to the stage where you press the power button and 2 seconds later your OS is booted and ready to go.

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

if it is faster then it is better :D

11. randosome

randosome Banned

just because you deleted the partition doesn't mean it doesn't need to be formatted - when it formats it sets it all to 0's, it doesn't do that when you delete the partition

12. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I have seen XP installed a few times recently, and it does take a while, though some distributions are particularly quick.

I too find 'off of' highly irritating, please refrain from using it again.

13. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Tags: Add Tags