1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics 5.1 Audio Switch Box

Discussion in 'Modding' started by khendar, 26 Feb 2007.

1. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

I have two PC's with basic Audigy sound cards which I want to run through a single set of Logitech X530 5.1 speakers. To do this I'm going to need a splitter/switch box capable of sending two sets of three 3.5mm stereo input jacks through one set of three output jacks.

I've been unable to find anything ready made to accomplish this, so I'm after alternative solutions. One suggestion I've had was to build some custom cables converting the sets of jacks to DB25 or DB15 connectors and use a data switch. This I could certainly do but I'm interested in other possibilities.

Cheers.

BTW I was of two minds whether to post this in Audio or in Electronics. I decided to stick it in here as its likely going to result in me having to build something custom-made.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2007
  2. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

I believe you are on the right track in thinking of an old parallel switch box, But there is no reason you should have to construct a plug to go into the db-25 ports. You could simply remove those ports (since the older ones are often mechanical there probably wont be a pcb at all, just wire)

Make a new backplate to cover up where the db-25's used to be and grab some bolt-on 3.5mm audio jacks and go nuts. Otherwise you are looking at a digital solution which seems rather difficult. Though I am sure the digital solution would be much more elegant.

If you wanted to pursue the switchbox idea I would recommend using one that is purely mechanical, containing no digital componets as it could interfere with the audio.

3. h_2_o

h_2_o What's a Dremel?

i've seen vga switch boxes being used as well.

4. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

Yeah I'm trying to figure out how many signals I actually need to switch. They're 5.1 speakers so thats 6 signals which means a VGA or serial box should be plenty. The only thing I'm wondering about is what to do with the earth lead. If I just switch the signal lines and leave the earth connected through is that going to cause any problems with interference ?

5. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Actually tying all of the inputs and outputs together for one big shared common ground should actually cut down on any interference possible. Though you could also isolate the grounds from the case you mount the plugs to and have the switchbox actually switch those as well. Just a thought. But should be no issue having the grounds all connected together. As long as any one device is not emitting some odd interference on the ground. Though the common grounding should eliminate that.

6. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

Ok well I've just scored an old parallel data switch from work for nothing. I'll pull the thing apart tonight and see how difficult its going to be to mod. it looks like I should be able to make three panels for mounting the jacks and screw them into the same cutouts as the existing parallel ports. Then it should just be a matter of hooking up the wires and Robert's your father's brother !

7. Dreamslacker

Dreamslacker Minimodder

All that you actually need is a 6-pole, 2-way rotary switch to switch the 6 signal lines. Tie all the ground pins together.

8. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

This is true - However that requires more work. I've pulled the thing apart and this is by far the simplest implementation.

9. vaderag

vaderag I know what a Dremel is...

I've just come across this thread as i need a similar thing - what solution did you go for in the end?!