1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Changing Voltage

Discussion in 'Modding' started by RevolMidnight, 2 Mar 2007.

1. RevolMidnight

RevolMidnight What's a Dremel?

I'd like to create a false cd-rom that spins a cd constantly when powered on. I have an idea on how to do it, and did a few tests and it works, however... the voltage must be way off because the cd spins so fast it could be a fan. Is there an easy way to lower the voltage on the wires? I don't even know how much voltage I need. I hooked it up to the standard red and black pc cables, and it was too fast. I think those are 12v.

2. MaximaMan2000

MaximaMan2000 What's a Dremel?

yellow is 12Volts and the red is I think 5Volts. You could start by using a resistor or 2 or if you wanna control it use a potentiometer.

3. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Do remember to take into account the amount of current the motor requires. Try pulling more than a few watts through a standard resistor and/or potentiometer and you get a nice burning smell.

If you don't know what current the motor uses, time to break out the multimeter and measure!

Otherwise, use a resistor-divider. :thumb:

4. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

A resistor divider will not work either. The values for the resistor would have to be incredibly low, fractions of an ohm, which would draw far too much current. I would try the 5v line of a molex, you could also try a power diode in seris with the motor to limit current.