1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Lil´pirate (laptop mod) - Project down! :(

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by HeZ, 7 Nov 2006.

1. davidbacsik

davidbacsik What's a Dremel?

Hey HeZ

Just wanted to let you know that this log really has inspired me, and as soon as I can find a cheap (or free) laptop, I'm going to switch my tearbox (torrent sounds like tore which leads to tear, what?) over to a portable, not ginormous pI sitting on my floor, laptop. Definitely makes a ton of sense, and it should be a lot of fun to carry around a very different looking laptop. Thanks for the motivation, and enjoy strutting your new, illegal content retrieving piece o' hardware. Yargg.

2. Gascan1888

Gascan1888 What's a Dremel?

i gotta say you have also inspired me ! i have been on an eBay search for a good victim but have yet to find one. I'm pretty interested in what you are going to do with the keyboard tho as that will be a challenge. good luck with the rest of it

3. ottzen

ottzen What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I digg it!
    But at the same time I hope that the bleeds will disappear if I wish really, really hard!
    (Or at least when you treat it with the compound ;))

Had the same problem on my previous case though..kind of irritates me, that I didn't do anything about it then.
    Ah well...now I have a new case and at least don't have to look at the fuzzy lines any more. ;)

//ottzen

4. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

TBH I like the overspray, it makes it look more.. ghetto, for lack of a better word, because it makes it look like its custom and done by hand and not a factory painted thing. Without the overspray will look just as good.

5. HeZ

HeZ What's a Dremel?

Hey all! Thnx for all the positive feedback! :) I´m glad to se that my project inspired some! It would be really fun to see some more laptopmods as they are abit rare. :)

I´ve decided to try and remove as much of the bleed as possible when spending at most a few hours on it. But i wont cry my eyes out if all doesnt dissapear, as mattthegamer463 said it gives a more personal look.

6. HoffmanMyster

HoffmanMyster What's a Dremel?

Hey, I really like the yellow paint job, looks nice, but Im not diggin the skull you chose, looks pretty childish, I would do something more fearce

7. Gascan1888

Gascan1888 What's a Dremel?

any updates ???

8. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

this is on hack a day, congrats

9. Kyre

Kyre What's a Dremel?

Saw your hack on hackaday, love it, i have the m300 my self its and it runs Ubuntu like a daemon :) what os are you using, Keep up the good work :rock: :rock: :rock:

ps what is the product number fore that wlan card ?

10. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Nice mod so far, but there's one thing i never "got" to laptop mods. People always put the logo on so it faces them when the lid is closed. Open the lid, and it's upside-down :(

Okay, you did put it on properly. It's 5am here. Shaddup :p

11. crazydeep74

crazydeep74 What's a Dremel?

Really probably the best mod I have seen here (No offense I just enjoy laptop mods).
    <OT>I really need to get a hold of some laptop, anyone got an old working junker around willing to spare for a few dollars?</OT>

12. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

if you want cleaner lines, next time insead of a paper stencil get some Car BOdy mask, or RC car body mask, its made of plastic and produces really great results, otherwise keep modding my man

13. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Maybe I missed something (though I have read back through and I don't think I did) but what information are you going to display on the old Nokia LCD?

14. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

proberly gonna use it as a ghetto vista sideshow wannabe thingy. still a good idea to display temps. battery time etc. while the monitor is turned off for battery saving.

15. Noobkiller

Noobkiller What's a Dremel?

Dude, where did you get the vinly paper for that sweet logo?

16. crazydeep74

crazydeep74 What's a Dremel?

Considering its been close to a month, since the last update, I dont think there will be any for a while.

17. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

nice work. you were linked on Hackaday.

18. Kivi

Kivi What's a Dremel?

This makes me wish i had a laptop to mod :D
    Looks very good!

19. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

looks nice, hope it turns out cool.

20. HeZ

HeZ What's a Dremel?

Hi again!

Thnx for all the positive feedback, the last month ive been out of town, sick and working the rest of the time... :/ Im really sorry for not replieing! I have mounted the cover to the screen and then i put all of it together.

Good news: Everything is working really nice! (using the lappy as my main now)

Bad news: Some of paint have come loose, now you can se the bare metall at some of the sharp corners... I have talked to a professional spraypainter that said its probably because of the unusual metal + the fact that i didnt use etsing primer. It is only at the sides of the metalpiece and i dont know how to solve this. Maybe covering it up with a rubber-list (correct english word?) still im not sure yet and all suggestions about this is greatly appreciated. The whole top should still be oki and out of risk.

Good news2: While i keep thinking about the paint stuff, ill start with the electronics. Update hopefully at monday (swedish time).

edit: I forgott to answer some of your questions.

[​IMG]
    This is made by Jetage at sweclockers.com forum (swedish hardware site).

2. The lcd will show Hdd-left, Cpu-usage, Ram-usage and some network stats. Im not sure if my battery circuit acctually reports status back to the computer so i dont know if i can use that yet. Maybe ill throw in a winamp screen with some effects. Not 100% sure yet. :)

3. As i have said earlier, this is a slow going project and it will take some time but i will try to reply more often.

Edit2: Dont want to bump the thread for bad news, but the soundcard has given up (or the sound cirkuits on the mainboard that is) the ltp port gives no evidence of life at all, have tried it with several diffrent ltp printers etc. So untill i can find another cheep laptop this project is down. Im really sorry about this!

Last edited: 2 Apr 2007