1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Running a PSU outside of the case?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Muzza, 2 Mar 2007.

1. Muzza

Muzza What's a Dremel?

alrighty,

I'm currently drawing up some ideas for an HTPC case which can use full size components.

To keep the size down i'm considering having the psu external, but hidden. i'll use some adapters and extenders to get the cable lengths i need.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any potential issues that could catch me out?

2. Mathmarauder

Mathmarauder What's a Dremel?

I should be fine just don't let too much dust or foreign material inside it.

3. Slim Slotloader

Slim Slotloader What's a Dremel?

Currently making one myself(computer inside a stripped DVD/VHS player) and have to make the PSU external due to lack of space.

Only got 4 connectors to extend to rear of the case: ATX 24pin, ATX12v and two molexes.

Only problem i see with the PSU is it getting dust/misc crap inside so going to mod the intakes with a removable filter, just have to find some good material for it.

4. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

It would kinda be permanently attacked via a cord unless you make it modular.

w00t 1,337th post

Last edited: 4 Mar 2007
  5. Muzza

Muzza What's a Dremel?

i did wonder if dust would be a problem, i'll probably make some kind of filter as well.

6. ice1

ice1 Home is where you hang your @

to make up a filter i have used with great results one of those spatter guards that you get for the top of a frying pan you know the one made of flat mesh available in most large supermarkets works a treate.

7. ice1

ice1 Home is where you hang your @

what i did was to sandwich the mesh in 2 plates of alu sheeting one cut a design into the other as a backing plate then secured together with small bolts and affixit to my fan (tried to find pics but they excape me at the moment)

8. mod-ern man

mod-ern man What's a Dremel?

You might also consider using a 1U supply. They are much slimmer but longer.
    I've used 2 in my current project to allow for more freedom in placing other components.

Cheers

9. El1m1nate

El1m1nate What's a Dremel?

try to make sure/change the cables from the psu to heavy duty so they wont break/will b stronger/longer