1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Non Stick?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bumfluff, 5 Mar 2007.

1. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

HMMM, If I wrap something in cling film and then cover it in Isopon P40 (the fibreglass type bondo) will it stick? Is there anything that I can use to stop the bondo from sticking to what I am putting it on?

2. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Oil.

3. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

I've heard Vaseline works for this as well.

4. bumfluff

What about the cling film, it would be wrapped around Polystyrene or something to that end. Would it work? It does have the advantage that I can just takeit off once the bondo has set.

5. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

The bondo will probably stick to the cling film, but at least the bondo shell will be removable from the form. I suppose you could probably sand the film out from the inside, if it were that important.

6. MaximaMan2000

MaximaMan2000 What's a Dremel?

When I make custom subwoofer boxes for cars, put down a layer of masking tape to cover the whole place that I'm working on then I spray on some non-stick cooking spray so that the fiberglass resin doesn't stick.

7. bumfluff

HMMM, would it be easier to make it with a form that goes inwards or out wards, I suppose inwards might be easier for the bondoing. Any thought?

8. big ally

big ally What's a Dremel?

hey mate, ive heard some guys using masking tape, you know covering the whole thing in masking tape then when the fibreglass has set peel it out from the inside

9. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

I'd test out your cling film idea on something small first as the solvents in the P40 may disolve it.

There are some good guides HERE relating to moulding things in fibreglass for car audio use. The same principle will apply to P40 as its similar to fibreglass.

10. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

Tin foil > cling film. :thumb:

Remember that BMW X5 mod worklog by Alpine of America? Yup, it's what they used for the interior panel fabrication.

11. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Seriously, oil for vaseline. Brush on a thin coat of mineral oil, cooking oil, anything that's clean. Or spread a thin layer of vaseline over the area. Remember, keep it thin. It only has to be a film. Trust me, nothing will stick to it.

It's really the best way to go unless for some reason you can't apply an oil to said surface. If you're worried about cleaning it, your common solvents like alcohol or acetone should remove it just fine.

12. bumfluff

I will try out a few methods on small peices, I will probably use some proper foam that is easy to shape when I come to make it but Polystyrene will do for now. What about outward and inward forms? (Are they called positive and negative or something?)