1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Let's sort out VBU2 **FINISH 07/April/2007** (Argh!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vaz, 7 Mar 2007.

1. Vaz

Vaz What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    Project start: 07th March 07
    1st update: 10th March 07
    2nd update: 12th March 07
    3rd update: 26th March 07
    4th update: 30th March 07
    Finish: 07th April 07

OMG it took one month?

Hello everyone. Yesterday was my birthday and I was left with abit of money to spend. I decided to sort out my pc.

I'm absolutely useless at pc's and powertools and this is my first project.

Number of thing's that need to be done:

a) Three fans to be mounted + fan controller
    b) Paintwork to be done on side panels & on the top.
    c) Cold cathodes to be added.

Not really much of a task but time consuming.

My plan was:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How my plan changed:
    I decided to not go ahead with the G.T style lines at the top. It would have been nice but I'm really lazy.

Anyway, a pic of my kit of the paint:
    [​IMG]
    In the above pic is:
    1 x masking tape
    2 x cheap silver spray paint from the £1 shop.
    1 x black spray paint
    1 x laquer
    &.. a box of screws. :dremel:

Below is a picture of the components i'll be fitting.

[​IMG]

This fan controller isnt exactly the one I origionally wanted. The origional one was automatic and had a little lcd panel. Unfortunately it became out of stock so I got this.

This is a Coolmaster AG1 Aerogate 1

[​IMG]
    Next is the biohazard fan grill. I got three of these.

And lastly 2 x cold cathodes (blue+green two in one). [not in below picture]

[​IMG]

The Project begins!

Okay, firstly I decided to fit in the back fan grill. I got my hands on some wire cutters and started snapping away.
    [​IMG]

A short while later I was left with a nice big hole at the back on my pc.
    [​IMG]

A tip for those who are like me and just do thing's carelessly. Snap two joints at once (snapping three is too hard!). It's easier & saves energy. After a little while you're wrist does start hurting.

After completing this stage I hit my first problem. My screw didnt fit the fans or the grill.. Eek! :eeek:

This problem was soon fixed by using a drill bit to widen the whole in both the grill and the fans.

[​IMG]

I think it's worth mentioning that whilst widening the hole in the fans I did end up snapping some edges. Also, whilst widening the grill twice it all flamed up due to over heating. I asked a friend to apply water whilst drilling. At one stage I burnt my poor little finger whilst handling the grill. (noob)

Next I placed the grill in the correct position and bolted it on along with the fan. Please note the below picture was taken right at the end.

[​IMG]

With the back side out of the way i went onto mounting the controller.

[​IMG]

This probably was the easiest part. Simple, take front bevel off, slide in controller and punch some screws it. Sorted.

When all seems to be going good.. life throws problems at you. I noticed the wires on the fan and the controller.

[​IMG]
    (Fan controller wire ends 4pin power)

The issue was.. the fans were simple 4pin power, the fan controller was some next 2-3 pin odd looking thing. I spent a few minutes wondering what on earth to do. I after decided to just cut both ends off both wires and just tape them together.

Below is a picture of my brilliant wiring ( :naughty: DELL.. coming for you.)

[​IMG]

Next on my list was to mount the rocker switch in the spare floppy bay panel.

Mark
    [​IMG]

Drill
    [​IMG]

Done
    [​IMG]

Next came the lights. The thing is, my pc isnt really built to have light's in it. It's rather... covered. I'm hoping to extend this project and cut some chunks out of the actual side panel after* I've done the paintwork.

Nevertheless.. boy's will be boys..

So.. I attached the lights, linked it to my rocker switch and walla.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, this is the part of the project where thing's don't go according to plans. As you can see at my origional plan,I wanted three fans at the top. As you may have noticed I have already used up one of my three purchased fans for the back.

The reason why is quite simply. I HAVNT GOT SPACE TO MOUNT THREE AT THE TOP.

Yes that's right, stupid Vaz didnt take into consideration that the PSU will be in the case too.

So.. plan alteration

2 fans at the top, one at the back.

Last edited: 7 Apr 2007
  2. Vaz

Vaz What's a Dremel?

You may remember this thread regarding how to make a decent hole.

Unfortunately, I didnt have the funds to buy a special 80mm hole saw. So, I used a 74mm one (or was it 76.. I can't remember and it's only been two hours!).

I had to go over to Maplin 10 minutes before closing time. They didnt have any metal cutting ones so I brought home some wood cutting ones (a little pack). :clap:

[​IMG]
    In the above picture you can see me just before I pressed the trigger.

20 minutes after:

[​IMG]

Boy's and girls.. one thing I learnt.. Tools for wood are for wood. Not metal. Despite sparks coming out, smoke, almost killing fumes and 20 minutes holding the drill down nothing. Not even a MM of depth. You could see it got pressed in but it didnt really cut anything. Luckily my tools didnt go blunt or get damanged.

All I'm left with is some hidious scarr like thing good for putting my tea cup on. I'm most probably going to use a ***dremel*** next.

This is where my project is halted for now. I'll try and get this done by the weekend.

Thanks for reviewing, please comment and advise.

(I'm a software guy.. what kind of a mod were you expecting! :p )

Last edited: 7 Mar 2007
  3. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

OK I gotta few things that might help you out here.

I would suggest filing down the sharp ends there.. the hole still appears to be visible even though your grill covers a good part of it.. aesthetics is key here. Also another good tip here for the future and most guys here recommend this is to use a bi-metal holesaw for cutting out a fan hole.. so much easier and cleaner!

Just as some key info for ya here from experience, fans usually will work using two wires.. the positive (usually red) and negative (usually black) there is sometimes a third wire which is the RPM sensor (usually yellow or white). They work on 12V DC... meaning on your standard PSU wires.. those would be the yellow wire and a black ground wire (usually the one next to it as a standard). The red wire on a PSU connector is 5V DC and it has it's black ground wire as well.

You'll somtime find some fans that have the 4 pin Molex connectors and all they do is take power from the yellow and black (12V DC) and then put in line a female connector so you can connect them in series.

Your best making the cuts BEFORE you do the paintwork... trust me on this.

I can also see you're using one of those Ultra Dual CCFL's (I know cause I'm using those as well)... You might want to find a better placement for that inverter (the black box) than leaving it hanging there .. a good spot would be right next to your PSU there... that way you'd have enough wire for both those CCFL tubes you have there.

4. Vaz

Vaz What's a Dremel?

Thank you very much for the tips theurgy :D

I did file the back end down a little but yes I agree abit more is to be done. What you can see in the picture is not dodgy cutting. It's actually these rectangular shape's that have already been made.

The cutting in the side panels will have to be done after now. The paintwork has already started & is midway near completion (although I havnt been able to take any pictures yet). This thought only came into mind after realising that the cathode isnt really doing to do much good hidden away.

Thanks again for you're tips and background knowledge.

5. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

HAHA No worries dude... I did this as well myself. Just pickup a good Mandrel and get the appropriate holesaw in Bi-metal and that should fix your problem.
    I bought the Blu-Mol brand cause they sell a quick change mandrel and you can buy various holesaw blades in whatever size you need.. so I got my hands on a 60mm, 80mm, 92mm and 120mm. Basically then your covered for everything!!

Good luck and it's good to ask questions here most of us will be glad to share our previous mistakes in order to help you out!

6. Vaz

Vaz What's a Dremel?

Today I had another attempt at the case. First thing first, this time I was going to remove the top panel and then work on it. In order do remove it I would have to remove the front panel and unscrew two holes.
    [​IMG]

Crack! There goes the arcrylic front on my NEW fan controller. :wallbash:
    [​IMG]
    I'm most likely going to buy a new fan controller.

Next, I stuck the metal into my drill press (pillar drill) and used a proper bimetal hole saw.
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, despite best attempts it didnt go well.. It did cut a little but not the whole way. Plus the fitting's didnt come out right.

So what next?

I'll be taking the panel to my college to be cut by the technician.. Grr.

7. Damouse

Damouse Thats no moon!

hmm, sorry about the fan controler, but why dont you just buy new plexi and replace the one thats cracked? Cheaper then buying a new one.

8. Vaz

Vaz What's a Dremel?

The little fine details and wording is on the actual plexi itself.

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

who needs them anyway?

10. Vaz

Vaz What's a Dremel?

Day three: 12th March 2007

Today I went to my college's technician for help.

He gave the first hole another cut with another bi-metal holesaw. It too failed to show any significant result. I'm assuming this is due to blunt tools.

Half of the hole was cut. For the other half he simply used a chizel and punched the other half of the whole in. It gave a rough edge but hey, it worked!

For the second hole we tried something different. We drilled a hole and used a jigsaw to cut out the hole. It took about two minutes.

Now I'm left with:

[​IMG]

Both holes will most definately need to be filed smooth.

Also, I've still got to make a few screw holes for the grill. I'll probably be doing all this tommorow.

During this process the panel has gone through many scratches and bashes against rough surfaces and is left looking pretty beat up.

I'll also be repainting the panel. The black paint I've got is glossy so I'm considering perhaps going out tommorow and buying a new can of spraypaint.

For now.. my panel is in the lovely sunny weather getting a sun tan:

[​IMG]

11. Vaz

Vaz What's a Dremel?

Update 26th March 2007

Remember those odd blowholes? Yes? Well here they are fully filed & smoothed.

[​IMG]

I used good old fashioned technology to get the job done:
    [​IMG]
    -A file with one side round to get the curves done. (I can't remember what the proper name for this sort of file is).
    - Some good old sand paper.

I first worked the inner edges of the blowholes and then moved to removing the burnt paint at the top. I've tried fitting some trim for the edges and it fit's well.

All I need to do now is drill the holes for the fan grill. Make some more holes for some handles from Argos (which I forgot to mention earlier). And ... ermmm Give the whole thing a lick of new black paint. Once that's done, silver stripes.

Also today I got my panels back. I'm not too happy.

Two reasons.. The first is that the paintwork isnt really what I asked for, the second reason being that the panels were still wet and I touched it.

Touching wet panels = messed up laquer. God damn it. Ah oh, I need to buy more laquer. I should have really just got vynil prints and stuck them on.

I present to you the following:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hmm perhaps I'll just repaint it all black and do some funky 60's colours? :p

I had an idea in my brain to perhaps cut out a rectangle at the bottom to allow the light from the cathodes to come out. I don't really seem to have space but what the heck.

Mesh or Transparant Acrylic.. that is the question.

Mesh = will allow airflow // dust will come in
    Transparant Acrylic = Nice shiny bit with no dust coming in // no air out

Life isnt easy is it? :duh:

I'll post another update tommorow perhaps. I aim to get this all done by Saturday 31st the latest.
    ====
    Thing's to do:

a) drill holes to mount objects on top panel.
    b) give top panel new paintwork
    c) cut rectangular shape in side panels & place mesh or acrylic.
    d) do any final finishing touches. (To sort out fingerprints).

Last edited: 26 Mar 2007
  12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Did those sand papers come in large stack? I once bought cheap stuff that was light brown.... First of all it was ****** quality, the sand kinda left the paper and it smelt weird! Reminded me of some dog food. Crazy. However if that's it, I'd recommend you to ditch them and get some good stuff instead. More expensive, but gets the job done and doesn't get to nerves as badly.

13. Vaz

Vaz What's a Dremel?

lol :p, luckily for me this isnt that cheap crappy stuff (unlike what I've used so far). Dad brought this and a few more sheets from a proper diy store earlier this year.

Nevertheless, sanding and filing doesnt do you're hands justice! My hands are cut up everywhere! (forgot to mention that I was also sharpening my sword in the shed).

14. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

use mesh on the bottom better airflow.

15. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

Just a note for people in the uk who want to buy tools. My dad is a cabinet maker and he ofetenly buys from here:
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/
    very very good quality stuff at cheap prices.

16. TapperSwe

TapperSwe What's a Dremel?

if u use Mesh u could take a net from an old speaker and do your custom dustfilter to get the right size,

Regarding the Hole saw problem i can give u a tip that works for me anyway the problem i had with the first hole i tried to do is that the hole saw likes to move around on its own (atleast if u use a hand drilling machine) so i drilled a hole the same size as the drill in the holesaw in a 2cm thick woodplank then i insertet the hole saw drill both trou the metal and the hole in the wood to get it more steady, and dont put to much presure when drilling.

Allso take a smaller holesaw then u want the hole to be, because u will allways have to fill the hole down a bit.

Regards.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2007
  17. Vaz

Vaz What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

After recieving one of the panels today I've been really sad :sigh:. So much time and waiting, effort and money (keep in mind that I'm still a student!) - all for something that's not satisfactory to me.

I can live with a broken fan controller plexi but not hidious panels!

I'm no longer worried about the top panel. 12 drill holes and a lick of paint and it's done.

Panel 1 (right side)

I've decided to completely sand down the panel I got this morning and repaint it black. Any black. Glossy or Matt.. either will go. This panel is for the right edge.

After re-painting it I'm going to get a steel sheet lazercut with the
    'ORIGIONAL' design and them I'm going to bolt it on. Perhaps not bolt, perhaps just stick it on with double sided tape. Or perhaps even some epoxy.. I havnt decided yet.

I technically could make the whole thing longer by cutting a large rectangle in the middle, painting over, applying some mesh & then placing the lazercut plate of metal on the other side.

So... see through design with some lights coming out and air.

[​IMG]

I've probably confused you guy's with this diagram. Here I'm simply trying to show that the light and air will travel through the mesh, the panel and through the lazercut plate. That way not only do I get an illuminated case but also airflow.

Panel 2

Panel 2 has not yet been laquered. In my previous post you would have read that panel 1 used up that big can of laquer!

I guess it's a good thing that it did. It means that I wont be suffering too much sanding down the panel. Once at a satisfactory stage I'll be cutting out a window, repainting the panel black & fitting some transparant acyrlic. Ah oh, using some nice trim.

Deadline currently still remains the same but I'll definately not be working on this tommorow.

18. Vaz

Vaz What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    Change.. that one big word that mankind fears.

After alot more thinking and considering time & money I've decided to cut things short. I'm going to leave the gun design out for now (paint or laser cutting).

I've got back my other panel today and I marked on a window that is going to be cut out. Unfortunately I havnt been able to get a picture taken for you guys so you can see how I did it because the panel's been stolen by my uncle whilst I was away for cutting with a jigsaw.

Things to look for when marking a window.

a) Look at the back, is there any metal bits that have been attached to slide into the frame of the case? If yes you may need to leave a few cm's of space.

b) To mark out a nice round edge, place a cd and mark around it.

This will leave you with a nice proper marking.

[​IMG]
    The other day I brought home some acrylic from school. Before what I wanted was a small rectangle as you may remember. Unfortunately this amount of acrylic will no longer be sufficiant. I'll need more (and school's shut today.. damn it!).

Also today I went and got some handles that I want to mount on the top panel. There availbile at Argos and Homebase. I think there a tenner for 10. Last not but least a proper pack of drill bits for steel. It's a set of 13 bits.

[​IMG]

1.5,2,2.5,3,3.2,3.5,4,4.2,4.5,5,5.5,6,6.5mm

I'll be using the 3mm & 5mm to drill the holes in the top panel. 3mm for the handles & 6mm for the fan grills.

Ah .. we can't forget the pot noodles. :thumb:

[​IMG]

I'm currently still considering how to go about the paint. As soon as I come up with a final idea I'll make a post with some new idea pictures.

Things ive learnt so far:
    -Wood holesaw is for wood.
    -Don't let anyone else handle you're paintwork unless you're there directing them.
    -Plan every minute of you're life.
    -If you're putting more blood into you're project than sweat, double check that your holding the tool correctly.

Ciao!

19. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

Hahaha, that's clever. I approve.

20. Vaz

Vaz What's a Dremel?

Okay, today was the last build day. I've kept it simple now. Handles on top, window and that's it. Finish!

I got one of my panels, grabbed a jigsaw and cut myself a window. I'm sure I've mentioned this before. Just incase I havnt this is how I done it.

I got myself a ruler, marked a rectangle. Then I got a cd, aligned it up next to the lines and used it to draw curves in the corner. Unfortunately I do not have a picture to show you how I done this but I'm sure there's tutorials out there showing you how to do this.

Next the paint that needed addressing. I got myself a new can of black paint (this time MATT) and sprayed a few thin layers onto the top panel and side panels.

[​IMG]

I left the panels to dry for various amounts of time. 1 day - 2 days.

Next I mounted the grills and fans. I have to confess, I'm a real **** when it comes to this stuff. I marked the wholes wrong so I was only able to fit two bolts through each fan grill/fan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To add insult to injury aligned them so they both suck out... :duh: I'm too lazy to go through the hassel of putting the bolts in again so I've left it as it is. It's still doing a great job I must say!

At this point I also attached the handles from Argos.

Next I grabbed my panel with the hole for the window and put some trim on it. Due to my dodgy cutting I was left with a little weird edge. I simply used a little bit of black wire tape to tape over the gap.
    [​IMG]

Next I had to add my acrylic to my panel. I must say.. I almost wasted one big sheet of acrylic from B&Q. The damn thing kept snapping when I was cutting it. Also alot of it got scratched up (don't ask how).

Nevertheless, thank god my uncle has all the tools. He pulled out one of his Indian saw's which was very slim and had small teeth. He cut out a nice slice.

Due to the trim, there was no way I could simply glue the panel on. I could also not use double sided tape. My panel has some indents and stuff which make it impossible. It's hard to describe but just go with me for now.

What we done next was we cut out small triangles and glued them onto the panel where the window was to go.
    [​IMG]

The glue we used was:
    [​IMG]

What you have to do when applying this glue is, apply it to both objects which you plan to join. Leave it for ten minutes until it becomes sort of dry. Place them together and apply some firm pressure. Once you've done that there's no chance that it will come apart.

We tried standard super glue but due to the paint it failed miserably.

This left me with one last thing to address. When I bought my bundle case from Maplin, they gave me a case with one faulty LED.

I'm happy to say that after.. hmm five month's I finally got round to sorting that out too!
    [​IMG]

So after so many weeks what am I left with.

Something totally off plan: :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Oh 'I busted one cathode' :duh:

One of my panels is still hidiously scarred but it's out of the spotlight so thank the almighty! I learn alot of thing's during this project but there's still alot to do. For now this is the end. Watch out for "Hey, let's sort out VBU2 part II".

A big thank you to everyone who posted messages, gave support on the forum & to:

Sati - my friend.
    Mr.K.Mudhar - my uncle who let me borrow some tools.