1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Orange Monster, 26 July 2006; Wire routing blocks 16.3.2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Darkened, 26 Jul 2006.

1. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Water cooling questions...

Okay, seems I'm in a "roll" today :hehe:

I have a bunch of stock pics of watercooling equipment and since I'm doing this for the first time, I'd love your input on these parts...

Here's a couple of options for the rad:

[​IMG]

Aqua Computer Airplex Pro 240

[​IMG]

Alphacool NexXxos Pro 2

[​IMG]

Swifttech MCR-220

These were the three models I found that would be suitable for my purposes. The main thing about these three is that they are kind of "low profile" rads so I'm thinking about how they'll look instead of how they would perform. Suggestions needed on this issue...

Next up: CPU blocks

[​IMG]

Aqua Computer Cuplex Xt

[​IMG]

Swifttech Apogee Gt

Again I'm looking at how these blocks look (preferably 2 hoses over 3), though I think they would both perform well enough for me. Feel free to suggest other models, nothing has been bought yet.

Tubing is pretty straightforward...

[​IMG]

Though it again depends on how it looks in real life and under UV light in real life, must check that when I get the chance.

[​IMG]

Although the AquaTube is over-used, I still somehow like how it looks and works. Is there a black model of this around? Also, doesn't have to be an AquaTube, but something similar would be on my shopping list.

What do you guys think about this pump?

[​IMG]

I know that Eheim pumps are really popular, but with this pump I'd have a cool option...

[​IMG]

...this :D It's the Xtreme version of the pump which is in the picture btw...

For cooling the rad I'd get a couple of more of those AC Ryan orange UV fans and of course there's a lot of bits and bobs to buy before the setup is complete, but this is a start and as I said before, I'd love to have your input on these parts.

Keep them comments rolling :thumb:

Janne

2. Slatter

Slatter Mesh Addict

I'm assuming the orange covers are UV reactive... if yes then I think this is the best way to go.

3. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Have you also checked up on Black Ice GT Stealth 2? I think it looks better than all those 3 because it doesn't have that wedge between the connectors.

Are you going to change the hose connectors on Cuplex Xt and Apogee Gt to match eachother or keep them like original?

The waterchill extreme seems to be a nice choice. Not the least for it's 2x fan and pump speed control software. It is huge though.

4. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

The pump looks perfect for your project!!
    blocks: EkWaterBlocks
    radiator: hwlabs
    would be my gear of choice..but all the stuff you pictured is good..
    The Aqua-Computer Aquatube reservoir can be had in black..

5. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

If you're looking for UV-reactive orange gear for watercooling, take a look at the following, namely the UV blocks:-

http://www.arcticmod.com/computer-cooling-mod/liquid-cooling/
    http://www.arcticmod.com/computer-cooling-mod/water-blocks-vga-gpu/

They have UV-reactive orange watercooling blocks, leet eh? Problem: I believe they only ship to the US, so you might need to get someone living in the US to help you out if you want them.

EDIT: I can't even find these on Dnager Den's website, so I'm assuming they're a post-mod that ArcticMod have done.

6. headala

headala What's a Dremel?

The rads all look similar in fin density, etc. Maybe they have the same ODM? Or design? I have the Swiftech and no complaints....just make sure you don't use bolts that are too long or you'll "screw" up your rad!

As far as blocks: The AC part has a very small center of heat conduction. Maybe better suited for single core "nekked" cpus. Also works better with lower flow and/or smaller tubing.

The Swiftech block has (I'm pretty sure) the whole bottom covered in diamond-shaped pins that cool a multi-core IHS cpu well. Probably would perform better with higher flow and larger tubing.

So, I would say it depends on your cpu choice and tubing. If using the Core 2 Duo, I might go with the Swiftech block if the tubing works out and the looks are what you want. If not, go with the other. Both are great.

Lastly, a shop once known as voyeur mods sold uv-reactive replacement hold-down plates for the Swiftech CPU blocks. They changed names and I can't remember what they changed to. Maybe someone knows? I remember the had a UV orange plate (replaces the chrome part of the block). You could probably make your own though.

7. vitriol_drinker

vitriol_drinker What's a Dremel?

For the radiator a "low profile" is better when you put fans on only one side of the rad. The alphacool and the aquacomputer radiatiors are the same.The swiftech one is a bit less better than the other two.

For the cpu block : the apogée is a LPDC block it means for a LPDC water loop you wil need big tubing and a pump with a high flow pump (eheim 1250 for exemple) A LPDC water loop is not restrective for the water flow.
    The cuplex pro is a HPDC block it's the opposite to the LPDC a pump with a low flow is good (swiftech mcp350 for exemple)

I've seen that you will buy uv tubing i dont think there is that tubing in big size for LPDC. Also, the uv tubing is not a good tubing, it is ard to fold it without it grip itself which will block the water. IMHO a clear tubing and some uv additive for the water would be better.

I think a HPDC water loop with the cuplex block and a mcp350 pump will roxx on this mod.

[​IMG]
    Isn't it a beautyfull pump ? :blush:

Sorry if you dont understand me, my english suxx :yawn:

8. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

First off, thanks a bunch guys, this is really helping me a lot to figure out the next stages of the mod.

@Slatter

I'm hoping it will be, but there's no mention of it anywhere (finnish reseller or asetek site). It does look like it though :thumb: The Eheim option is still valid too for size-related reasons...

@Javerh

I just checked out the Black Ice GT rad, you're right, it's lookin' good :D It just might be the rad for me, thanks for the tip mate.

For the blocks, all of the connectors in the case will be compression fittings, modsquad has convinced me enough to do that :hehe:

The pump is quite big, you're right about that, so I might go with Eheim after all.

@modsquad

Thanks so much for the info, the black AquaTube is great news and also the Black Ice rad which is probably going to be my choice.

Eddies blocks are great, but somehow I feel that copper blocks with transparent covers just don't go with this mod. Even with the delrin cover I think they'd look a bit out of place.

@Duste

Hot damn those blocks look great, I bet only a few people knew these were even an option. And you're right about them not being available from Danger Den website, though I found a few more websites who carry them in their selection.

Arctic mods prices are pretty great, but shipped from New Jersey to here in Finland (as you said, if they even ship here), I'm thinking the price might be something quite different :hehe:

For now, the block choice is still open since vitriol_drinker mentioned that Apogee would need a heck of a lot larger tubing...

@headala

The rads do look somewhat similar, they probably come out of the same factory with only small visual changes and different names/pricetags :worried:

What you said about the blocks is probably right, the tube candidate is 8mm inner diameter polyurethane tube, so is that actually small or large tube when it comes to watercooling? Anyone else is welcome to answer this also. At least it's on the bigger end of tubes at my finnish reseller, though I remember seeing Coolmeisters wavemaster mods with some HUGE tubing, so I guess 8mm is quite small bore after all.

Voyeur mods have disappeared from the face of earth, at least I didn't find anything viable on them after 15 mins of googlework.

@vitriol_drinker

Thank you for your input, some really useful facts there. Firstly the flow issue, I didn't even think about it that way until you said it, though I think the performance of the pump (waterchill (at the moment at least)) wouldn't be the problem, but the tubing being too restrictive.

For the rad, the fans are going to be on one side only and I think we have a winner: Black Ice GT Stealth 2 :thumb:

Tubingwise, I'll definitely think about clear tubing with UV-additive for the reasons you mentioned.

P.S. Your english doesn't suck, I understood you completely :thumb:

So let's sum up...

Winners:

Rad: Black Ice GT Stealth 2

Fittings: Compression fittings

Res: AquaTube (in black)

Losers:

Apogee GT block (because of the tubing required)

All the rads mentioned earlier (thanks Javerh)

Not decided yet:

CPU block: Suggestions welcomed

GPU block: Same applies here, most likely for 8800GTS

Pump: We now have 3 options, Waterchill, Eheim and Laing (mcp350), opinions needed.

The floor is open for debate :hehe:

Janne

9. ShadowWings

ShadowWings What's a Dremel?

For the CPU block I do realy like the Aqua Computer Cuplex XT, GPU block is a difficult one so many choices, EK, Aqua Computer, Innovatek, etc. Likewise for the pump Liang, Eheim, Aqua Computer Aquastream (based on a Eheim pump), etc.

Have you thought about using an Aqua Computer Aquaero for monitoring your flow, etc.

My 2 cents for this project.

10. vitriol_drinker

For the Hwlabs Black Ice GT Stealth 240 this rad is the most restrictive we can find :hehe: and he isn't realy optimised for the low ventilations. You can find a test Here but it's in french :blah: So I recommand you the alphacool black ice pro.

For the cpu block I think that the NexXxoS XP would be good or the cuplex ore the Ek like modsquad suggest you.
    For the gpu waterblock they are all good i know that the Ek and the innovatec have been tested by some people and they were not disappointed by the prefs.

You know my opinion about the pump : LAING POWA :rock:

11. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Damn, this is how it goes when you judge hardware by their covers :hehe:

@ShadowWings

I like the Cuplex Xt also, though I'd love to get the silver version, but 160€ for a waterblock, don't think it'll happen, lol. For the GPU block, there are a lot of choices, but maybe I'll have to buy the card first (maybe wait until AMD/ATI gets their DX10 cards out in the open).

Aquaero would be sweet too, have to keep that in mind, thanks.

@vitriol

I knew that the rad looked too good to be any good :hehe: So even if I'm not going with "high flow" setup, it would be a drag in the system?

Well back to the drawing board with that one then :D

I think the Cuplex Xt is at the top of my list ATM, the NexXxos Xp just doesn't look right for the mod (though it might perform well :) )

I'll have to check those innovatek GPU blocks next...

For the pump, all options are still open, but I'd love to hear why you recommend the Laing pump.

Janne

12. ShadowWings

ShadowWings What's a Dremel?

I think that's the right way to go.

For everybody else keep the ideas flowing in :D

13. vitriol_drinker

No, the rad won't be a drag for the system. In france this rad is more expensive than the other it is why we don't recommand this radiator when a black ice pro fits.
    For the pump : it is small, easy to integrate. It has good perfs and isn't noisy.

14. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Ah, I see, here in finland the price difference is about 10€ so no big deal in this disaster :hehe: I think I'll go with the GT model since it looks better...I think I'm turning into a woman, lol.

Thanks for the info on the pump, I'll definitely keep it as an option, though I'm not sure if the tube in/outlets are in the right place for me, we'll see once I get some more info and get a few measurements.

I'll have to say that you've been a great help and really patient to answer my stupid questions :D

Janne

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

there isn't enough room for pumps in these case's

I have a 120.1 down the front of my case, and that was a squeeze, (iv taken out the HDD brackets aswell)

this easter hol i plan on bolting a 120.2 on the back 120 fan mount, i dont really want to chop my case up at all! lol

16. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

I'll go chop up all the way, the plan is to mount a fillport, aquatube and the res on top and the pump to the lower compartment, but I know it'll still be a tight fit...

Hopefully I'll pull it off :hehe:

Janne

17. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

You should have enough space to cram in all in there. The only thing to be aware of with the 2x 120mm style radiators is that you could have a clearance problem with your motherboard in the V1000. Ive been setting up my V1000 this way with a fill port on top as well, and have effectively lost the lowest PCI slot, not a big deal for most. Maybe more with the Aquatube in place..

The pump is best put where the middle drive cage is located Id say, clearances are very adjustable there.

18. vitriol_drinker

No problems :thumb:

19. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

I have had no experience what so ever with the following water block (or watercooling), but from what I've heard on other forums, the D-Tek FuZion seems to be a fair preformer (slightly better than the Appogee GT) but aesthetically it doesn't hold a candle to Aquacomputer's block, imho.

20. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Well would you like to use some black tubing instead of orange or clear tube?

Tags: