1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wooden aquarium (color question)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Supra55, 10 Mar 2007.

?

Wood stain color.

Poll closed 17 Mar 2007.
  1. Black

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dark brown

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Dark red

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Well ATM I have another worklog going for my old HP case and right now I'm in the procces of making another case just this time out of wood. It has to compartments. One is for the computer parts the other is for... well since I want some fish :worried: it'll hold a very small aquarium with maybe a siamese fighting fish hehe...

Anyways enough talk lets see some pictures!

The frame stage is were I'm at.
    So

The front even though theres no real front.
    [​IMG]

The back.
    [​IMG]

Window side.
    [​IMG]

View from the very top of the nearly 4 foot case.
    [​IMG]

Close up of the Matx mobo holder.
    [​IMG]

Please comment I won't have an update until sunday when we can finish the top connection bars as they're somewhat loose. Nothing some wood glue can't fix.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2007
  2. Damouse

Damouse Thats no moon!

hah hah hah! i think that you should put the fish tank in the computer section and get some tropical fish, using the take as a resevior to warm the water!

Aright, so its a totally idiotic idea, so sue me. At least it sounds good!

In all seriousity now, is that frame going to stand up to a fishtank filled with water? The tanks are pretty durn heavy.

3. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

I really hope your not using nails to put that together..

4. Damouse

Damouse Thats no moon!

lol those look like nails to me :D!

5. Rage.

Rage. What's a Dremel?

rofl nails.. use superglue in my opinion, really STRONG superglue.. and bullet head nails, then go over the top with putty and sand away =D

6. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

No we use the glue and wood dials as a guide only nails on thre thing are the mobo tray.

@Damouse. Lol sounds like a good idea even though my HP gets hot it won't get hot enough to heat up a tank lol. Also I'll be making the tank out of some lexan, once I have the money they'll be VERY thick sheets and I'll be reinforcing the bottom portion of the aquarium sector with my spare 2,2 inch bars. I'll probably use some bolts and allot of epoxy stuff to seal up the tank.

@Rage. Lol putty... Will bondo work w/ wood? If so than I'm definately taking that approach.

And for the world What kind of pumps can I use in the aquarium because if I can use submersible I'll definately be home free (cheepest submersible pump on Harbor Freight, 10 bucks)

Last edited: 10 Mar 2007
  7. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

Make sure you go to your local pet shop and get a suitable marine epoxy that is safe for the fish. (used to run a few Salt water tanks which require a LOT more care)

8. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Thanks soulmage.

9. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Color question

Well I want to ask a quick question.
    I want to color the wood with some stains but I want it in black but I have no clue which kind of stain I should get.

10. Metatron197

Metatron197 What's a Dremel?

Won't the temperature changes kill the fish?

11. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

There should be enough air flow and space between the areas that there shouldn't be a problem.

12. Tale Gunner

Tale Gunner What's a Dremel?

There are heaters for tanks that allow you to regulate the temperature. Fish are used to temperature changes but they have to be gradual. When you put new fish in a tank you have to place the plastic bag in the water to adjust to the temperature of the tank prior to release.

I have fish in a pond outside in the winter and all I do is keep the water moving and prevent ice from forming accoss the top. (thats done by placing a PVC pipe in the water to allow the fish to get to the top.)

13. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Lol more to add to my list of buys.
    I need.
    A submersible pump (covered)
    fish (the one that feeds on algae and some mini sharks or etc)
    fish feed
    aquarium stuff (including the aquarium glue thats safe for fish)
    Heavy duty Lexan
    A new workshop... :sigh:

Oh and is there a material out there that repels heat from itself?
    Will bondo work on wood? If not please suggest something like it that will.

14. guysy1110

guysy1110 What's a Dremel?

im quite good with fish if i do say so myself :D

If you want algae eaters your best bet are Bristle nose plecos, make sure you buy correct sealant as others have said, you will need either aquarium sealant or non toxic and non anti-mould sealant (silicone) otherwise it will kill the fish.

When your building the tank you will need to clamp it loads and do it carefully because otherwise it will leak every where. and you can use masking tape so that the silicone dosent go all over the lexan.

At the moment im not sure the wood your using at the moment and the way you have joined it together will hold for a very long time at all :(

I would advise using strong glue inbetween joints, then screwed as well.

Its a wicked idea but you want to make sure you get it right before you have water everywhere :)

Oh and im no expert on wood.. but isnt wood with knots in supposed to be weak ?

Sorry for the ramble lol !

Guysy

15. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

The plecos make good bottom cleaners, and do pretty good at cleaning glass. But they don't actually eat algae, except what they get while eating other stuff.

For info on algae eaters, check these links:
    Good photos and eating habits of algae eaters .
    For detailed classification

I find the Chinese algae eaters are only effective algae eaters while young. The Siamese ones don't do well either. The "False Siamese", which in the USA are often sold as Chinese algae eaters, eat algae all their life.

I have gotten the best results with a pleco and a "False Siamese" in the same tank. The pleco cleans up the bottom debris and helps on the sides, while the algae eater works heavily on the algae itself.

As if you didn't guess, I'm into fish as well. That's one of the reasons I'm following this log. I'm really interested in what you come up with!

16. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

yes bondo will work on wood. i suggest you put a layer of fiberglass cloth on the joints as well, just to add that much more stability.
    what do you mean about the material? heat has to have somewhere to go, something cooler to spread to. they do have heat reflective material made for cars that is pretty much just shiney insulation. im not sure what you're trying to do with it though

17. guysy1110

guysy1110 What's a Dremel?

Oh yeah and just to add you cant have more than one male siamese fighting fish is the same tank because.. we they fight one another till one dies. If you have male and female its also not to good becasue the female lays eggs all the time and then you have 100 baby bettas on your hands :p

18. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Lol if I do get one of those I'll put it in its own area.
    Well I've never used fiberglass but yeah I'll use that and bondo to help the joints. Then I'll cover the tank area with fiberglass also I might use the fiberglass as the go between for the computer and the aquarium.

The material I'm looking for is something likle insulation that keeps the fish tank at the correct temp (whatever that maybe must depend on the fish itself) and make it so the excesive heat from the computer area stays in that section while being blown away by the fans and staying away from the fish tank.

So fish to get the plecos and chinese copycat fish, the siamese fighting fish (with its own area of course) and maybe some other cheap fish (on a budget here)

I still have to design the doors I'm leaning towards a cabinet like door that swivels out as the entire steup will go on a desk with the sides facing me.

Also this project might be on hold so I can afford a workshop as I don't have one.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2007
  19. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

fiberglass is a fairly good insulator, and is very easy to use. you paint the surface with resin, stick the cloth on, and paint on more resin. then you wait. its as simple as that! if you are using it for the tank itself, make sure you spray on a gel-coat or something that is non-toxic so the fish dont die. that would be bad. lol.

20. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the lack of updates but with the death of my monitor and a trip to california stuff has been slack for everything modding, oh and its snowing, in April...in Texas :worried: