1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Made 500+ List of War/Military - Arms/Combat/Love/Comedy/Documentary/History/Musicals

Discussion in 'General' started by Gooey_GUI, 9 Mar 2007.

1. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

Film, show, documentary, musical, biography, comedy, you name it, and it will be here. This list is everything related to armies, navies, airforces, marines, combat-in-arms, swashbuckling, arms of war, and so forth.

Here are 150+ on the British list

This is no small thing. So, some help is appreciated. Don't get me wrong. I've spent a huge portion of my life watching most of this. Maybe it's because of my background being from a longstanding family of military tradition. I also enjoy history.

I wanted to make a poll that would:

A) Count the number of people who've voted.

B) Allow indication (among all 500+) if that person has seen it.

C) Grade the person taking the poll.

D) Allow an indication if the poll was completed or not.

E) ???

Some may well ask why I don't ask for favorites. It's because there are disproportionate ratios of age now online (and age relating to release date) among other things. I suppose it could be asked and the age of the person can be graphed someway, but then it starts to be a little complicated. Don't you think?

In any case, the list is entirely too long for most people to honestly try to complete, so the true actuality, on the question of viewership, will tend to be scewed that way from the beginning. The rankings found on IMDB are probably already scewed.

The ideas I have considered are: (and I've done this somewhat now)

* Make the list purely alphabetical. Formats, such as "Movie Name, The" with year of release and/or episode number, an a.k.a. if available to me,

* To break it up into gendres altough too many have a plurality. But, some basic things like TV-series (or exactly one or two of the series by episode), mini-series, documentary, biography, or film.

* To shorten the list, a candidate may not be considered if it's a pure western, but it may be famous for cavalry, frontiersmen, or shoot outs (such as "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon", "Dances With Wolves", "Jeremiah Johnson", "Drums Along the Mohawk", "Northwest Passage", "High Noon", "Shoot Out at the O.K Coral") to name a few.

* War time love stories and musicals might only include the most famous such as "Casa Blanca", "White Christmas", "A Funny Thing Happened to Me on the Way to the Forum" and so on. But, if it's not very high on the imdb.com ranking system (6/10 or better) it gets pulled.

* Leave out anything that isn't rated at least 5/10 stars for other movies. Notable exception here is "The Green Berets" with a score of 4.9/10 stars.

* Make a seperate poll for films, shows, documentaries, comedies, musicals, and biographies each. For re-enactments and historical archeology, they would be grouped into documenteries.

* Leave out most science-fiction except notables like, "The Shape of Things to Come", "The Day the Earth Stood Still", Star Trek: Episode with the "Yangs and Coms", Twilight Zone (episode 1 season 3) "One Man, One Woman" with Charles Bronson and Elizabeth Montgomery in the rubble strewn streets facing off with each other. Suggestions here would have to be very powerful indeed. I really hate to get into all of the Sci-Fi out there. I'm torn by this. I.E. the first Star Wars or the original "War of the Worlds"

* Leave out comedies that are not rated highly (I would guess 6/10 stars or better.)

* Leave out silent films except the most notable. So far, I only have "The General" with Buster Keaton. Suggestions of others here would be considered sparingly.

* TV-Series' will be (for the most part) be given by years. If there are a specified number of episodes I can try to include that number: representing the body to which the person actually believes that they have seen enough of it to warrant choosing an affirmative reply. As I have already mentioned, I will limit those where I can by specifying the exact episode (if necessary).

I will welcome genuine input by well meaning individuals. Like, how to impliment this? Where to host it or post it? I have Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks, Access. I know a little of each, but not enough to do it all. My wife knows a very great deal more than me. She can only help in a limited way because it's too much like work where she is totally swamped. (She needs all the decompression time she can get.) But, if I can present the project in a concise form there will be less for her to help with. It's mainly the database stuff I'm worried about. Neither of us knows PHP, but she does know Access and Cold Fusion.

And now, your help to illuminate this beyond my considerations will be deeply appreciated.

BTW, is it really true that polls aren't allowed in General Discussion? :confused:

Last edited: 15 Mar 2007
  2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Does reading a book sound bad?? If not, then I recommend Eisenhower. Thick, long and really a lovely biography.

3. Gooey_GUI

I read as much as I can. It lends fact to fiction. :cooldude:

I've had 5 decades to watch all this. (The first seven years I was living in Air Force bases.) Whooosh! Boom! As the sonic blasts went... mostly daytime though.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2007
  4. hujambo_Bwana

hujambo_Bwana What's a Dremel?

"It doesn't take a hero" by General H Norman Schwarzkopf, excellent biography.

Jimbo

5. Gooey_GUI

If that's just a book, then that isn't what I'm searching for... this is about films and such. I can't find it on imdb.com

I *will* put it on my reading list though.

6. Gooey_GUI

Problem solved: My wife said she would do it with CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) and XML because it would be a good project to improve her skills on.

:thumb:

Other ideas for what to do with this website are open for input still.

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

7. hujambo_Bwana

hujambo_Bwana What's a Dremel?

Gooey_GUI, yes mate, it's a book... sorry.

For films...

Full Metal Jacket (classic first 1/2)
    Platoon
    Wind Talkers
    Shaving ryans Privates (you know what I mean)
    633 Squadron (excellen war film)
    The Dam Busters
    Lawrence of Arabia (best desert film)
    We were soldiers (very good, realistic)

Just a few of my favorite films for you.

Were you thinking of a simple interface like www.imdb.com for example or something more graphical (ie Flash based)?

Jimbo

Last edited: 11 Mar 2007
  8. Gooey_GUI

I have all of those. I think I'm just looking for obscure ones now.

Flash I doubt. CSS and XML probably. I just don't know if it should be a fan site or have links for buying/renting. We havn't given biz much of a thought for now.