1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux How to install Linux on a seperate drive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Henchman:crg, 11 Mar 2007.

1. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

I have a C: drive already installed with XP, I have a spare drive that I can use just for Linux, but how can I get it to install or dual boot?
    Don't want to loose my C: XP, or re-partition it, just want a dual boot using windows partition manager to let me select.

I'm told this is possible from a guy at work that knows Linux and Windows, and although he prefers Linux as an OS, he says better to use Windows partition mananger as its simpler and causes less problems for Windows.

Anyway, firstly I cant get any version of Ubuntu to work on my new machine, I have a Dual Core AMD 5800+ with 4GB RAM and a NVidea 7900.

Nothing special with my hardware I would think, so what's the easiest Linux to install in this situation which has decent hardware support and won't kill my XP?

2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Ubuntu should work, but take a look at www.distrowatch.com to find a suitable distro.
    Linux dualbooting via GRUB is easy peasy http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html
    edit: installing GRUB should be easy, and your distro installer will most likely rezise your partition on your first HDD to accomodate /boot, again no biggie.

Hope this is a start.
    Stefan

Last edited: 11 Mar 2007
  3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Ubuntu should work, is it possible theres a problem with your burner? and are you burning the iso correctly, there not like a normal file to write - if you have done it the "ussuall way" then google iso burning

4. Henchman:crg

Will the resize be safe even though my C: is just 1 500GB partition using NTFS?

5. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

You'll need ***GB for an Ubuntu install. Even with loads of additional packages from the debian repos you're unlikely to go past 10GB. What will eat up HDD space is you data files depending, of course, on your data requirements. If you've gone to the trouble of buying a 500GB HDD then I assume your data requirements are substantial. That said, linux can now read AND WRITE to the NTFS so you probably don't need to create any additional space for your data files.

If you're concerned about data loss from repartitioning - backup your data before you try it.

But what happened to your original idea of using a spare drive? This can be done quite simply if you're familiar with GRUB. If not you could still 'work around' any potential bootloader problems by using the BIOS to control the boot order, ie. boot to your spare drive first (having installed Ubuntu on it).

6. Henchman:crg

I have a 500GB drive for XP, I have a seperate 250GB drive for Linux, all I need is to get my system to dual boot, being able to use XP on my current C: 500GB, and Linux on my second 250GB drive.
    So I'm trying to understand how to do this at the moment, but still not 100% clear.

Thanks for help so far.

7. DMAthlon

DMAthlon What's a Dremel?

makke a 50MB /boot partition, a 2GB /swap partition and the rest as /

8. Henchman:crg

okay I'm not a mind reader, and havnt any experience with dual boot or Linux, but tryign to learn.
    Make 50MB partition and 2GB partition on what drive and how, and will it break my windows XP current install?

Ideally someone can give me all the info on what steps need to be taken from having a XP 500GB drive, to having the same XP 500GB drive, and a second 250GB Linux drive both working with a dual boot option.

Yes I accept I have to create partitions for Lunix to be happy, but I'm really not concerned at this point in time what that actually means, this I can learn and understand later.

Thanks.

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Time to clear things up I guess...

Well, what you want to achieve is actually quite easy. There are however some points of caution to be considered...

Before you start installing anything, use a repartitioning tool (like Partition Magic) and move back the XP partition 50MB. XP won't notice it. Then, boot up from the install CD. Manually partition your install, and place /boot on the 50MB partition on your primary drive, and make 2 partitions on your secundary. A swap partition with a size of 2*your RAM and a / partition (like c: in windows) filling the rest of the drive (minimum 15GB tough). Ubuntu will normally install and configure everything, so don't worry about that. It is important tough that the 50MB /boot partition is at the beginning of the primary drive.

10. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

You DON'T have to touch the partitions on the 500GB Windows drive or to resize them. Linux will quite happily fit on the second drive. Resizing partitions is something I wouldn't want to try without having good backups :)

What you will have to do is to install GRUB to your C: drive. This is Linux's bootloader (well, one of the more popular ones) and will overwrite the Windows bootloader, but not affect the drive data in anyway. I don't know if the Windows bootloader can be used to boot Linux, I've never heard of it. GRUB isn't hugely difficult to setup anyway. If it does go wrong you can replace the Windows bootloader if you boot from the Windows CD, drop into a DOS prompt and run a couple of commands (which escape me now).

DMAthlon is pointing out suggested partition sizes for the 250Gb drive. Its academic really as if you go with a friendly distro like Ubuntu the sizes will be determined, and the drive partitoned for you, automatically. You don't need to worry about it.

Hope thats some help :)

11. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

No, /boot doesn't have to be on the primary drive. He shouldn't have to modify any partitions on the 500Gb.

12. Henchman:crg

Thanks all, I will back up my data and attempt this during the week.
    If you don't hear from me my machine wouldnt start :waah: :rolleyes:

13. Glider

Glider /dev/null

IIRC there is a 'bug' in GRUB that does like the /boot partition on the primary drive... At least is was...

But if they fixed it, sure, you can just install GRUB to the MBR...

14. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Don't forget: you can always restore the MBR with your windoze CD. Just boot from it, go into Rescue mode and execute the 'fixmbr' command.

15. DMAthlon

16. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

You can skip it all together too. Go into BIOS and change the primary boot drive to the linux drive, install linux on that drive, and then set up GRUB with a windows option. This way, no changes are made to your windows drive whatsoever.

17. DMAthlon

I would deffinitely agree with cthippo. that sounds like a baller idea.

18. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Yeah, great idea, and it seems a natural order, Windows coming after Linux ;)

19. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

The only issue I've had with this set-up is that sometimes when GRUB is updated it wants to delete the Windows entry. I keep a backup of my GRUB config file in my home folder so when that happens I can cut and paste it back to where it should be.

Welcome to the penguin. Once you come over, you'll never go back :thumb:

20. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

drunken typo cant be too drunk cause i noticed it lol

Damm straigtht brother, well at least for non gaming purposes but progress has been made via cedega, that were almost there

Last edited: 15 Mar 2007
Tags: