1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selecting AS levels

Discussion in 'General' started by liquid_gen, 8 Mar 2007.

1. thestig198

thestig198 Minimodder

As already said do what you enjoy. I wouldn't advise doing all science type subjects though. I did Maths, Physics, Economics and Computing for AS and dropped Computing for A2 (my teacher was rubbish).

I quite liked Economics and I think it's a good A level to choose. Maths is a great A level to have and is definitely worth doing especially if you want to do Engineering/Computer Science at uni. The statistical stuff also comes in handy for other subjects.

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I love doing all science/maths subjects! It's great.

Although, only do that if you will defo be going into science and you love all the subjects.

3. kingdavies

kingdavies Minimodder

I started my AS levels in september, I take:
    Further Maths
    Physics
    Computing
    Do what you enjoy and what you are good at.

4. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Do you not do standard maths as well?

5. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

I'm with the science crowd. I'm almost finished all my courses:

Maths, further maths, chemistry, physics is what I do. It's the way to go if you fancy a career with maths/science in it. Oh yeah, further maths is not recommended unless you enjoy maths (duh) and/or you want to do engineering/maths.

6. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

As a lot of people have already said maths is pretty much a prerequisite for doing any kind of engineering course but so far no uni has turned me down for not having further maths. Chem seems to be about twice as much work as any of the other subjects im doing (maths, phys and electronics) but that might just be my point of view.

I dont think theres any particular career that a Philosophy degree sets you up for except maybe law in some form, but then lots of graduates dont work in the field they did their degree in.

You could also find out whats on the syllabus for the subjects youre thinking of taking, it might not be what you expect.

Moriquendi

7. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

I did maths, f maths, phys and chem. The maths overlaps (at a basic level) with the physics so it makes getting a good mark in one of the papers pretty easy. F maths puts you in good stread at uni - on my CS course I found that I already knew pretty much everything they were teaching us (maths-wise) so again it made things easy.

At the end of the day I would suggest going for things you enjoy, but also bear in mind that doing some harder work now (e.g. maths+f maths) will make your life so much easier in the future - assumining you stick with engineering. If you do go down the RE side of things, then ignore everything I have said :p

8. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Do something you want to do, or you will not stick with it.

9. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Re teachers are odd things they get the most abuse off student(well in my expreance) but yet seem to enjoy there job the most. if your gonna do an engneering Maths and phyics are must with chemisty and electronic secound if your realy smart enough unlike me you cna choose i 5.
    But if you dnt have maths its not the be all and end all i didnt have even a maths AS and iam doing/failing a electronic degree.

10. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

I did, maths, f maths, physics and electronics. I knew I wanted to be an electronic engineer so thats what I did. Like everyone says, do what you enjoy! If you are planning on the enginner route though, physics and maths are absolutely necessary any thing else is optional. But it would make sense to do another science subject, english requires alot of time not so much because its hard but because theres so much reading to do. Plus i've always found the sciences easier because your either right or wrong fullstop, theres no putting an answer down and justifying it and being half right.

11. liquid_gen

liquid_gen What's a Dremel?

if i go for engineering (or some other science degree) it will almost 100% likely be something which involves maths/physics not bio or chem so i would probabl be doing electonics engineering, computer science or engineering, or maybe just a maths or physics degree. So i dont think i'd benefit from chem or bio or even RE (which is what i'd prefer to do from the 3) but it seems to me like unis prefer a science to RE even though i dont think it would be of much help for these sorts of degrees.
    What do you guys think?

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I did Maths, Further Maths (AS only), Physics, Chemistry and French (AS only).

Just remember: Physics is applied mathematics, Chemistry is applied Physics, Biology is applied Chemistry.

So the more you understand of the lower level stuff the easier it will be for the rest of it.

13. Green Apple

Green Apple What's a Dremel?

do something you enjoy or are genuinely interested in or you'll get bored. there is not reason in my eyes why all of them must be tailored towards uni.. you are likely to change your mind. i did philosophy, product design, art and psychology. and i am currently doing photography at uni. its linked but it's not what i wanted to do when i chose my AS levels at all.